Reply 5440 of 16800, by clueless1
Spent all my free time at work trying to figure out my build plans.. What's throwing a spanner in the plans is that I have no V […]
Spent all my free time at work trying to figure out my build plans.. What's throwing a spanner in the plans is that I have no Voodoo 1.
What I currently have:
- P166MMX, 64MB, Matrox Mystique 220, Voodoo 2 (GPU too fast but can do Quake respectably, probably main PC for retrogaming)
- PIII-450, 256 MB, Voodoo 3 (CPU too slow)
- Celeron 1300, 512 MB, Radeon 8500 (GPU too fast)
- AthlonXP 1700, 1GB, Radeon 9800PRO (CPU too slow)
What I'm contemplating
- P166MMX, 64MB, Matrox Mystique (Pretty balanced, but no 3D accel makes it pretty boring overall)
- PIII-450, 256MB, i740, Voodoo 2 (Pretty balanced, main PC for retrogaming but V2 won't cut it for 1024x768..)
- Celeron 1300, 512MB, Voodoo 3 (Pretty well balanced or Voodoo 3 too slow?)
- AthlonXP 1700, 1GB, Radeon 8500 (I had this exact PC and loved it, though this PC would probably benefit a lot from a 9800PRO?)
Wouldn't mind your views on how to build these as my OCD mind is kind of going nuts with indecision 😀
What I usually do in that type of situation is benchmark every graphics card on every platform, then use the results to help me make up my mind.
The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks