VOGONS

Reply 6560 of 27574, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

What year is it? Still this nonsense?

Not trying to start an argument, but from years of experience I can tell you AMD = heat failure. Even on new models. Selling new laptops i've had at least two AMD models fail within a 30 day period and zero Intel models. AMD may have performance advantages at times. But, when I buy a product i'd like it to last. I see significantly more P4 and Core systems still running today than phenoms and athlons. Especially in the low end segment where it's lower performing celerons outlasting their comparably priced AMD equivalents. In the gaming and performance segment it's not an issue because a CPU will be replaced before it can fail. There's good reason why you don't see opterons in many data centers and the leading PC company (Dell) pretty much only markets Intel systems. I'll admit, i'm a bit of a fanboy, but if you can't face facts then your more of a fanboy than I am.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 6561 of 27574, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xplus93 wrote:

There's good reason why you don't see opterons in many data centers and the leading PC company (Dell) pretty much only markets Intel systems.

Yes there is good reason. Watch and learn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osSMJRyxG0k

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6562 of 27574, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

Have you checked the BIOS setup to see if there's a setting to disable display scaling? I remember old Toshiba laptops having that option so it's worth a shot to check.

Not in the BIOS either.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 6563 of 27574, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xplus93 wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

What year is it? Still this nonsense?

Not trying to start an argument, but from years of experience I can tell you AMD = heat failure. Even on new models. Selling new laptops i've had at least two AMD models fail within a 30 day period and zero Intel models. AMD may have performance advantages at times. But, when I buy a product i'd like it to last. I see significantly more P4 and Core systems still running today than phenoms and athlons. Especially in the low end segment where it's lower performing celerons outlasting their comparably priced AMD equivalents. In the gaming and performance segment it's not an issue because a CPU will be replaced before it can fail. There's good reason why you don't see opterons in many data centers and the leading PC company (Dell) pretty much only markets Intel systems. I'll admit, i'm a bit of a fanboy, but if you can't face facts then your more of a fanboy than I am.

The only reason you see more older Intel systems running than old AMD systems running is because of the market share.

If there was a 50/50 split, they would probably be about the same.

As far as Intel CPU/motherboards dying, I worked as a warranty repair tech for a few years and saw some DOA Intel CPUs as well as Intel CPUs that died/were dying.

So it really isn't as clear cut as AMD sucks/Intel rocks. Both have issues.

Do you remember the time when pretty much everybody was victim/willing idiot to the crappy capacitor scam back in the day.

On the Dell side it mostly hit the SX/GX 260-280 line. We were replacing motherboards by the hundreds due to that. And those were ALL Intel based systems.

And then there is the fact that Intel has been using the same exact crap cooler design for what seems like forever.

It is true, that back in the day that AMD didn't have overheat protection as soon as Intel did, which can and did lead to CPU failure, but even on newer Intel systems with the stock cooler, if you fully load the CPU it will generally overheat and cause it to throttle the speed back. This is completely unacceptable in my book.

AMD on the other hand has been using good heatpipe designs for their coolers since the Socket 939 days.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6564 of 27574, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hooked up a newly acquired Samsung SyncMaster 215TW to both my 6-core gaming rig and my Packard Bell 486. I'm planning on hooking up gaming systems to it as well since it has composite, s-video, and component.

Has the following features and connectors:
VGA (Analog)
DVI (Digital)
Composite
S-Video
Component
Audio ports (L/R and 35mm)

Swivel base to move the screen left and right
Orientation (Landscape or Portrait)
Speakers with a headphone jack up front

Reply 6565 of 27574, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:
Hooked up a newly acquired Samsung SyncMaster 215TW to both my 6-core gaming rig and my Packard Bell 486. I'm planning on hookin […]
Show full quote

Hooked up a newly acquired Samsung SyncMaster 215TW to both my 6-core gaming rig and my Packard Bell 486. I'm planning on hooking up gaming systems to it as well since it has composite, s-video, and component.

VGA (Analog)
DVI (Digital)
Composite
S-Video
Component

Nice! that is a perfect all-purpose display. Composite for your old 8-bit machines. Component for gaming. And it's a syncmaster so retro machines work well with it. As long as it doesn't use the same chip from my old 20 inch ultrasharps.

Reply 6566 of 27574, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Decided to run some 3DMark benchmarks under Windows ME on my LG Xnote LM50a.

Technically this is an XP laptop, and LG doesn't seem to have driver packs for this machine at all, let alone Windows 98/ME that I can find (though I have a working recovery environment for the XP install on mine) but it's pretty standard hardware, save the video card (which needs a manual driver selection after installing the normal ATI package) and a somewhat annoying VIA AC'97 sound chip that seems to work using a package from an Acer machine.

Specs:
Pentium M 1.5 Ghz (Dothan)
Intel 855 Chipset
1 GB RAM
Radeon Mobility 9200
1024x768 LCD

3DMark 2001SE: 4874 3DMarks
3DMark 99 Max: 6036 3DMarks (29078 CPU 3DMarks)
3DMark 2000: 6788 3DMarks
3DMark 2003: 567 3DMarks

Not surprised at the 3DMark 2003 score, as this machine would have been a low-mid machine in 2004, but I'm not sure how decent the rest of the scores are for the hardware spec.

Reply 6567 of 27574, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did a rebuild of an old Compaq, and put it up for sale locally. Installed Win98se, TNT2, V2, 40gb HDD, 512mb Ram, changed the optical drive to a DVD drive and upgraded the CPU from 933mhz to 1ghz. Threw in a keyboard and an optical mouse. They are not the best, though for a start, it will do for the person that buy it. As I said, I have put it up locally, because it is too heavy to ship at a decent price.... (it was a hard choice, though I need the space)

P-III-01.jpg
Filename
P-III-01.jpg
File size
1.63 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
P-III-02.jpg
Filename
P-III-02.jpg
File size
1.98 MiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6568 of 27574, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xplus93 wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:
Hooked up a newly acquired Samsung SyncMaster 215TW to both my 6-core gaming rig and my Packard Bell 486. I'm planning on hookin […]
Show full quote

VGA (Analog)
DVI (Digital)
Composite
S-Video
Component

Nice! that is a perfect all-purpose display. Composite for your old 8-bit machines. Component for gaming. And it's a syncmaster so retro machines work well with it. As long as it doesn't use the same chip from my old 20 inch ultrasharps.

I wish I had a Commodore 64 or an Amiga HD version. Heck, I can watch TV on it as well with either a VCR with a cable box hooked up to it or a DVD Recorder that has ATSC for digital channels. I have the VGA set to 4:3 for my Packard Bell (full fledged 4:3 for text mode and GUI, unlike my ASUS monitor that supports 4:3 mode in a GUI OS only, not text mode). And the picture is stunning on it too.

Reply 6569 of 27574, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:
xplus93 wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:
Show full quote

VGA (Analog)
DVI (Digital)
Composite
S-Video
Component

I wish I had a Commodore 64 or an Amiga HD version. Heck, I can watch TV on it as well with either a VCR with a cable box hooked up to it or a DVD Recorder that has ATSC for digital channels. I have the VGA set to 4:3 for my Packard Bell (full fledged 4:3 for text mode and GUI, unlike my ASUS monitor that supports 4:3 mode in a GUI OS only, not text mode). And the picture is stunning on it too.

Buy a cheap used tivo with a cablecard slot if you need encryption, otherwise ATSC tuners are getting dirt cheap on the secondhand market.

Reply 6570 of 27574, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looked inside my Pavilion N3350 to see where the CMOS battery was (4 cuss words and 8 bandages later) and found the original CMOS battery in it and it looked dead. It's an ML1220 battery, which probably isn't made any longer. Did research on the battery and it's a rechargeable one.

Reply 6572 of 27574, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
probnot wrote:

I made a thing.

I approve. Texture and material match nicely with the rest.

Reply 6574 of 27574, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Overclocked my main (a 680i with a E8400 and like 5TB of storage) to 4GHZ @ 1.32v stable

As I understand that means I have some prime silicon right here 😀 considering my board isn't known for its OC abilities and thats only a touch over stock voltage.

Stock is 3GHZ so that's a 25 percent OC 😀

Last edited by TheAbandonwareGuy on 2017-09-06, 14:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 6575 of 27574, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

long story short, Nichicon make the best caps you can reasonably get. Other decent brands exist, like Panasonic.

I thought Rubycon was the go-to brand for computer capacitors that don't suck, but that's mostly just the badcaps.net community speaking. One of the guys there apparently got put off by some substandard Nichicon product lines, though I'm hoping their current capacitor lines are reliable.
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpost.php?p= … 02&postcount=27

Anyway, I placed an order over on Mouser for the caps I needed for my IIcx back on Monday. All Nichicons, all in stock. No problems, right?

disregard what used to be here, because I'm a klutz who was still so stuck in August to think that September was NEXT month rather than this month

Last edited by NamelessPlayer on 2017-09-08, 07:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6576 of 27574, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NamelessPlayer wrote:
I thought Rubycon was the go-to brand for computer capacitors that don't suck, but that's mostly just the badcaps.net community […]
Show full quote
luckybob wrote:

long story short, Nichicon make the best caps you can reasonably get. Other decent brands exist, like Panasonic.

I thought Rubycon was the go-to brand for computer capacitors that don't suck, but that's mostly just the badcaps.net community speaking. One of the guys there apparently got put off by some substandard Nichicon product lines, though I'm hoping their current capacitor lines are reliable.
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpost.php?p= … 02&postcount=27

Anyway, I placed an order over on Mouser for the caps I needed for my IIcx back on Monday. All Nichicons, all in stock. No problems, right?

It's Wednesday now. No confirmation of shipment. Estimated ship date? September 4, 2017. Why would it take over a month to ship capacitors that are in stock, especially if they're just going to take my money up-front? Surely, there's got to be a better source for capacitors somewhere out there.

Isn't it just a general rule of large scale manufacturing that there will be an occasional bad product or bad batch of a good one?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 6577 of 27574, by cathalferris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a box full of older PC cards and bits in my possession for the past decade or so, adding to it as I scavenged form scrapped PCs and items going for recycling from places of work. A few weeks ago, my parents needed to clear all of the items I had in storage there, so I had to go and collect everything and bring to my home. Included in that pile of crap was a Logitech Wingman Extreme that came with my first PC (an AST P133 that eventually got Frankensteined). I realised that I had no machine that this would plug into, looked at the box of bits, and decided to do something about that..

I've built 3 machines over the past week or so:

1. P3-600 Dell desktop as a Dos/win3.1 box
  2. P3S midi tower as a Win98se box
  3. Athlon box as a WinXP box

The Dell desktop has a BX chipset, and a P3-600 chip onboard. It's a fairly bare board. I sourced an Audician 32 ISA soundcard and added a Dreamblaster Synth S2 daughterboard. There's an AGP Matrox G400Max graphics card - chosen as there are still valid Win3.x drivers available. I had 512Mb of memory in that box before repurposing as a Dos box, so I've taken that out and put in a 64Mb stick instead. There's a basic 10/100 network card in there, and there's a simple CD drive, and the original floppy. FreeDos was tried, but trying to get WfW3.11 on as well was a pain, so I've currently got MSDos 7.1 and WfW 3.11. It's pretty nifty for the old games like Doom, Descent, Quake, Duke3d and the older dos games that I have had to hand. All of the fun with the stuffing of device drivers into high memory.. (623Kb free mem with mouse and cd loaded)

The Win98SE box is based on an Asus TUSL2-C board with that wonderful i815 chipset, with a P3-S 1.13 Tualatin server chip, that happily runs at 1.5Ghz. The 512Mb of ram maxes out the chipset and is more than sufficient for Win9x anyway. There's a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS soundcard, and a Medion Geforce 4 Ti 4200 that I had a Zalman cooler on since I had it originally. I added an Intel 10/100 netcard and a USB 2.0 pci card, as well as a WinTV pci tv card. I had a zip-250 atapi drive lying around so I added that into the mix. The 8gb harddisk is going to be changed out for a 16gb flash card via an IDE adapter that is en route from the Bay, but it's sufficient for the moment. It's a nifty machine for the Halflife, Q2/Q3, UT2004 era of games.

Last box I built is an XP box. It's a pretty crappy PC-Chips M870v2 motherboard, flashed to the latest ECS bios as Elite bought the manufacturer and sold the same board as an "ECS 755-A2". I've ordered a 3400+ Venice Athlon fromthe Bay, currently there's an 800mhz Sempron that will not clock up to the designed 1800mhz design. There's a 250Gb PATA harddisk in there, as it was just easier to install onto. There's a 6600GT graphics card, and a Soundblaster X-Fi pci soundcard. There's an Asus Tiger PVR card, and a Sata-300 pci card for a future possible expansion. A dvd writer and a cdrom round out the hardware.

I have a handful of spare netcards, a few tv cards, a handful of SCSI cards that I decided not to use in the end. Still, it's been interesting trying to get my Steam games working under pure Dos as well as comparing just how far things have come.. My main desktop is an I7-3930@4.3, 32Gb ram, 512Gb SSD, 4x2Tb disk raid-10 storage, GTX-660 graphics so that gives >999fps in Q3 @1600x1200 with all the shiny switched on. The winxp machine appears to give about 90fps at the moment after a quick test.

I've liked the retro PC stuff for some time - I've got an Amiga 1200HD under the television with a Blizzard accelerator w/fpu and a 30Gb card and a network card. Current webpages are weird on old non-Windows browsers.

It's been a fun start of a journey through the retro PC stuff, and I think I'll have fun getting a decent KVM setup, as I will be picking up a pair of HP 20" 1600x1200@75hz CRTs that will be fantastic for the older games, and the XP machine will be using a Dell 1680x1050 flat panel.

Retrobuilder since 1997

• WFW3.11/Dos 7.1: P3-600, 64Mb, 2.5Gb, Dell BX, G400Max, Audician 32+S2 MIDI
  • 98SE: P3S-1.13@1.5, 512Mb, 10Gb, tusl2-c, gF4-Ti4200, SB Audigy 2 ZS
  • XP: Athlon Venice 3400+, 1Gb, 250Gb, m870v2, 6600GT, SB x-fi

Reply 6578 of 27574, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Isn't it just a general rule of large scale manufacturing that there will be an occasional bad product or bad batch of a good one?

True, but the fact that it happens doesn't do the reputation for the producer any good. I mean, failures in that badcaps thread aside, I should re-emphasize that the axials on Macintosh II boards of various sorts are also Nichicons, and all of those need to be replaced alongside the SMD caps, lack of leakage be damned.

...Disregard what I said about lengthy ship times. You ever get tripped up when the next month rolls around and you're still thinking it was the last month?

Last edited by NamelessPlayer on 2017-09-06, 18:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6579 of 27574, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I received this today from farnell

IMG_20170906_184457.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170906_184457.jpg
File size
770.64 KiB
Views
File license

I'm finaly going to recap old PSUs, old sound cards, etc ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative