VOGONS

Reply 9060 of 27614, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Damaniel wrote:

I don't have binaries but I can throw some together. Otherwise, if you have DOSBox and Turbo Pascal installed, then running make.bat from the MOVEIT directory should work.

Which version of Turbo Pascal do you recommend? There're versions from 1.x to 7.x and 1.x (Windows).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 9061 of 27614, by Damaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:
Damaniel wrote:

I don't have binaries but I can throw some together. Otherwise, if you have DOSBox and Turbo Pascal installed, then running make.bat from the MOVEIT directory should work.

Which version of Turbo Pascal do you recommend? There're versions from 1.x to 7.x and 1.x (Windows).

I use version 7. I haven't tried using any older versions so I don't know if they'll work.

Reply 9062 of 27614, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Put together a (for once) fully functional XP PC solely for writing floppy drives for my DOS PC I am making.

Not sure if this happens to anyone else but I set aside my two 400MHz DDR sticks I was going to use, put PC together including filling both RAM slots, test it, put case on, put under desk... and I find one stick of 400MHz RAM on top of my desk..ehhhhhhh. I's got one 400MHz stick and one 333MHz stick in there! Not sure if I can be arsed to take it all apart to put the right stick in.

Reply 9063 of 27614, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It doesn't matter which speed stick you put in since the RAM sticks are normally backwards compatible anyway (BIOS and chipset dependent).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 9064 of 27614, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

The keyboard is dead. 🙁 Tested it with systest. So now I have to get another one.
I might find another Amiga in bad shape, and see if I can put together one complete system.

Can you detail 'dead'? It may be a lot of things, some of which are actually fixable on an A500..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9065 of 27614, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Damaniel wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:
Damaniel wrote:

I use version 7. I haven't tried using any older versions so I don't know if they'll work.

I compiled it with TP 7.1 and get a title screen, but from what I can tell no gameplay has been implemented yet. Correct?

Reply 9066 of 27614, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What a bummer.

So today is when a lot of things came together.

First of all, I finally got my Cirrus Logic GD5446 PCI graphics card from Canada for my Pentium MMX 233MHz DOS build I'm doing, which would allow my motherboard (Asus TX97-XE) to actually display things. So, I insert it into the motherboard, everything (expect a Gotek floppy emulator; still waiting for another one) is plugged in, I turn on the PSU's power and... wait, why did my motherboard just turn on without me hitting the power button?

It seems that whenever power is sent to the board (i.e. when the PSU is turned "on"), the fans connected to the board will start to spin and the power LED will just flash on-and-off like a pair of car headlights, but nothing happens. The board refuses to POST, and you can't "shut it down" via the power button. I've even tried things with just the CPU socketed (no RAM, expansion cards, or connected drives) and both with the Pentium MMX 233MHz that came with the motherboard and a separate one that I had also bought, all resulting in the same behavior. I also removed the I/O shield, even held the board slightly out of the case, and cleared the CMOS, and still the same behavior.

Could anyone tell me whether or not this means that the motherboard is "fried", or is there something I'm missing? I would hate to have been left with a broken motherboard.

Moving on, yesterday, after I had finished re-assembling it back together with a replacement CMOS battery and new thermal pads, as well as today, I tried to turn on my Asus Eee 4G PC, and it looks like it is running (with the power light and sometimes the wifi light coming on), and yet nothing is ever displayed on the laptop's screen, nor does any signal come out of the laptop's VGA port.
HIwU3GQl.jpg

I made sure all of the internal cable were re-attached to where they were supposed to be, so I doubt I just connected some cables wrongly or not at all. So, again, I ask: Does anybody have any idea what is going on? I can't think of any reason why it is doing this other than either I somehow damaged the laptop, or that I have to somehow reset something.

Finally, for once, some good news. That OG model 30001 PlayStation 2 I had also recently acquired for $10 has been put back together with a new CMOS battery and new thermal pads, and it works! It boots up, and plays DVDs just fine.

I was curious, though, looking through the settings:
5uSMNMPl.jpg
I was using the former connection method (Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr) instead of the latter (RGB), and can only use that method with my 5RCA+VGA-to-HDMI converter, but that brought up the question: what's the difference between the two methods, and which on is better?

Any help would be appreciated. 😀

Last edited by ultra_code on 2018-11-05, 21:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 9067 of 27614, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like your PSU is gone or your switch is faulty but what do I know. Someone with more experience will likely chime in soon.

In the meantime, trying another AT PSU and switch won't hurt.

Reply 9068 of 27614, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, that reminds me. I forgot to mention that I tried using two different ATX PSUs (the one I initially used, an EVGA 430W 80+ White ATX PSU, as well as a Corsair 550W 80+ Bronze ATX PSU, and both times the same behavior was exhibited.

I neither have nor ever used an AT PSU before, and this motherboard doen't have an AT power plug, either, only ATX. :\

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 9069 of 27614, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
the_ultra_code wrote:

Oh, that reminds me. I forgot to mention that I tried using two different ATX PSUs (the one I initially used, an EVGA 430W 80+ White ATX PSU, as well as a Corsair 550W 80+ Bronze ATX PSU, and both times the same behavior was exhibited.

I neither have nor ever used an AT PSU before, and this motherboard doen't have an AT power plug, either, only ATX. :\

You said MMX and I immediately assumed AT sorry. That's better though. Just remove the ATX power switch cable from the motherboard and try booting it by shorting the motherboard power switch pins with a screwdriver. It may be a faulty power switch..

Reply 9070 of 27614, by Damaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote:

I compiled it with TP 7.1 and get a title screen, but from what I can tell no gameplay has been implemented yet. Correct?

No, there's a game there, but apparently there's obviously a bug too. 😀 I keep the git repo and the DOSBox areas separate from each other and it's possible that a file is missing from one side or the other. I'll build from a clean copy and see if I can track the problem down.

Reply 9071 of 27614, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Damaniel wrote:
liqmat wrote:

No, there's a game there, but apparently there's obviously a bug too. 😀 I keep the git repo and the DOSBox areas separate from each other and it's possible that a file is missing from one side or the other. I'll build from a clean copy and see if I can track the problem down.

No, no, that's not it. Even without any of the front I/O cables connected to the motherboard (including the power and reset switches), the motherboard with "come to life" if the PSU is turned on.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 9073 of 27614, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
the_ultra_code wrote:
Moving on, yesterday, after I had finished re-assembling it back together with a replacement CMOS battery and new thermal pads, […]
Show full quote

Moving on, yesterday, after I had finished re-assembling it back together with a replacement CMOS battery and new thermal pads, as well as today, I tried to turn on my Asus Eee 4G PC, and it looks like it is running (with the power light and sometimes the wifi light coming on), and yet nothing is ever displayed on the laptop's screen, nor does any signal come out of the laptop's VGA port.
28310803757_40406264a0_z.jpg

I made sure all of the internal cable were re-attached to where they were supposed to be, so I doubt I just connected some cables wrongly or not at all. So, again, I ask: Does anybody have any idea what is going on? I can't think of any reason why it is doing this other than either I somehow damaged the laptop, or that I have to somehow reset something.

Look REALLY close at the LCD panel - if your backlight or inverter is dead, stuff will display on screen but it will *almost* be invisible. Sometimes you can just catch the ghost of display content though. Worth knowing if that's what's going on.

Did you try hitting Fn+F5 a few times to change the external display mode once it's booted up? Mine seems to boot up in mirror mode, but there may be an option in the BIOS to change this.

the_ultra_code wrote:
Finally, for once, some good news. That OG model 30001 PlayStation 2 I had also recently acquired for $10 has been put back toge […]
Show full quote

Finally, for once, some good news. That OG model 30001 PlayStation 2 I had also recently acquired for $10 has been put back together with a new CMOS battery and new thermal pads, and it works! It boots up, and plays DVDs just fine.

I was curious, though, looking through the settings:
28310804037_0d0605f339.jpg
I was using the former connection method (Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr) instead of the latter (RGB), and can only use that method with my 5RCA+VGA-to-HDMI converter, but that brought up the question: what's the difference between the two methods, and which on is better?

Any help would be appreciated. 😀

There's no real quality gap between component (Y/Pb/Pr) and RGB, but they're two different standards. RGB is used on European TVs with a SCART connector. If you're using RCA jacks on a more modern TV you'll generally want to leave it as YPbPr.

Here's more info than you ever thought you wanted about the PS2's video modes (including how to fix it 'blind' if you set it to the wrong mode and can't see what you're doing on the TV.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 9074 of 27614, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Damaniel wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Thanks for looking into that. In the meantime I compiled your Damanoid and either I really suck at this game or Stage 1 is evil hard. Luckily for me it looks like you have it with endless lives in its current build. 🤣

Like your use of that CGA mode and hope you add some music and sound effects.

damanoid.jpg
Filename
damanoid.jpg
File size
104.31 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9075 of 27614, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for your suggestions, xjas. I did try them, but nothing worked. Maybe I did screw up something? I'll take apart that laptop later and look at it again more closely.

Also, that video you provided was awesome. I'm glad I watched the whole thing. 😀

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 9076 of 27614, by Damaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote:
Thanks for looking into that. In the meantime I compiled your Damanoid and either I really suck at this game or Stage 1 is evil […]
Show full quote
Damaniel wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Thanks for looking into that. In the meantime I compiled your Damanoid and either I really suck at this game or Stage 1 is evil hard. Luckily for me it looks like you have it with endless lives in its current build. 🤣

Like your use of that CGA mode and hope you add some music and sound effects.

damanoid.jpg

Yes, it's evil hard - like I said, it's an early prototype and I was just playing around with ball physics. The plan is to use a more 'normal' level as a first level and progress to harder stages later.

As for the MOVEIT issue, the problem was git and line endings. DOS is really picky and git really wants people using Unix-style line endings. I didn't notice it because cloning works fine, but grabbing the ZIP file doesn't. I fixed the repo so both the cloned version and ZIP file should work correctly now.

Reply 9077 of 27614, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
the_ultra_code wrote:

Here's a demonstration of my problem (sorry for the noisy as hell fan in the background 😀 ):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/157233298@N06/2 … eposted-public/

Can you check if the atx power headers are by default shorted somehow, with a multimeter?

Reply 9078 of 27614, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do have a multimeter, but how would I got about that? What combination of pins should I test? And how exactly should I test the pins (like only their solder points on the back of the board, only the pins in the ATX connector itself, etc.)?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 9079 of 27614, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
the_ultra_code wrote:

Hmm... there are a few (very few) early ATX boards that absolutely need -5V to boot and those new PSUs don't have it. Bit of a long shot but worth looking into if you've ruled out the obvious.

Last edited by dionb on 2018-07-04, 11:05. Edited 1 time in total.