VOGONS

Reply 9581 of 27575, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

also true, but as a general principal don't mod things tgat arent easily replaced. Cables are cheap and easy to mod, drives and boards are not.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9582 of 27575, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
canthearu wrote:

Just force the connector on, normally with a little force you can punch right through the blocked off pin on the cable. It is what I normally do.

Please don't do this. If you are in the situation ultra code mentioned, use a small drill bit to make the hole.

its not a disaster if you frack up a cable. if you break something on a drive or motherboard....

Why not, the floppy cables are a dime a dozen, worth absolutely nothing. The gotek floppy emulator is only worth slightly more.

Worse that can happen is that it pushes the pin into the drive connector. Just get a pair of pliers and pull it back out. If you somehow manage to break that pin, it is not used anyway.

Reply 9583 of 27575, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its the principal of the thing. if you are off a little bit, you might slip and bend over all the pins.

it is a risk/reward scenario.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9584 of 27575, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If these were vulnerable pins or the device in any way special I'd agree, but in this case it's arguably a design oversight in the first place (keyed cables are common - for good reason - and there's no excuse for a modern device not to leave out the key), the cable is probably older than the Gotek, particularly if it also has edge connectors for 5.25" drive, and even if you squish the other pins all over the place, it''s easy enough to bend back or even re-solder.

That said, I wouldn't recommend trying to push soldered pins through. That exposes the PCB to all kinds of unnecessaty pressures. I'd just cut the offending pin on the modern device off...

Reply 9585 of 27575, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
canthearu wrote:

Just force the connector on, normally with a little force you can punch right through the blocked off pin on the cable. It is what I normally do.

😳

derSammler wrote:

You can just cut the pin. All pins on that row are GND anyway.

That way works. I carefully bend the pin until it breaks off cleanly.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9587 of 27575, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote:

Shocked by the responses on the pin thing. Just use a needle/paper board pin/anything similar to open the pin hole on the cable.

I had cables where the blocked pin was massive and not just a thin cover that you could open with a needle. You would need a hot needle or a driller for that. Much easier to just cut the unneeded pin.

Reply 9588 of 27575, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really,really wanted to grab this today since I was in Orlando over the weekend and this was only 70+ miles from Otown, but I just have too much on my plate right now. A beautiful specimen and a great price IMO. Looks like it has a memory issue and a HD issue from the post screen, but look at that beauty.

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/sys/d/vinta … 6656614181.html

Reply 9589 of 27575, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:
konc wrote:

Shocked by the responses on the pin thing. Just use a needle/paper board pin/anything similar to open the pin hole on the cable.

I had cables where the blocked pin was massive and not just a thin cover that you could open with a needle. You would need a hot needle or a driller for that. Much easier to just cut the unneeded pin.

Sadly, the only floppy cable I currently have doesn't have that "missing pin" hole molded shut has a cover that sounds like what you described. Even after removing the top part of the cover with a box cutter, there was still more of it further in the hole that I couldn't remove. Since I'd rather not make any mods of any destructive nature to the Gotek emulator, I'll just wait till the new cables arrive.

Thanks for the responses, though, guys.

Now, about that corrosion on my AWE64 Gold... 😀

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 9590 of 27575, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got an IDE-mini IDE adapter recently that had the extra pin. It was kind of annoying. I did find a cable in the pile that had open pin holes, but the adapter is just plain made wrong, so I may still cut the pin off. For now I'm keeping that cable with the adapter.

It was just lazy design, as a result of lazily implemented standards.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9591 of 27575, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Organized my Win3.1 desktop recently! 😁

I'm also trying to get over my AC filter capacitor fear with my Presario 425. It likely doesn't have a bad one, but I'm basically the younger equivalent of uxwbill. SMOKE TEST!!!

I'll get a screenshot of my awesome 3.1 desktop in here when I can - I'm just making this quick post from an old iBook G4 with TenFourFox. Oh, that's another thing - I set up and played Marble Blast Gold. Not exactly retro but it's fun 😉

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎

Reply 9592 of 27575, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I installed a 287 FPU into my 286:

https://youtu.be/aFJgufw8WOw

Autosketch now flies 😀 Nothing else seems to profit so far. Fractint is actually slower when switching to floating point algorithms... Well, maybe I will Excel and do some spreadsheets!

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 9593 of 27575, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Trying to figure out why I can't get a video signal from any card in my PCI/AGP slots on my Dell XPS T450. The PC turns on, I can hear the HDD spinning just fine but I just cannot get a signal. I've tried 4 different cards and still nothing. I guess it's just had it so I'm scouring eBay to find parts for a new machine.

Reply 9594 of 27575, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Received my new ISA multi-I/O card in the post today. And it really was new, shiny and never used, a little time capsule from 25 years ago. It also fully worked, which means that my all-UMC build is now back on again, and that the VLB multi-I/O card that I couldn't get the floppy controller to work on is simply dead - it's not compatibility as they use the same UMC 82C863F chip for the controller. Also installed DOS 6.22 and got the UM8009F NIC working.

In other news, figured out that one of the KVM 'octopus' cables somehow was making my A7N8X-X refuse to fully boot or spontaneously reboot during POST. Weird, as no other motherboards have an issue with that particular cable, but it was fully reproducible on this one. Then again, Asus' nForce2 boards are notoriously sensitive about everything. Half my DDR DIMMs here give errors on this board, while they work fine on other DDR boards. I remember when these things were new I had read about their RAM issues and chose a Gigabyte GA-7N400L instead. My housemate decided to follow the hype and get an A7N8X-E. We both had 2x 512MB DIMMs, quality stuff (mine were Infineon, his Kingston). His board was unstable as hell - turned out to be the RAM. It worked perfectly in my board. Fortunately mine worked perfectly in his as well, but this sort of nonsense was par for the course then and now.

Reply 9595 of 27575, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tested 5 of the SRAM chips with the EEPROM programmer (TL866CS/PLUS) I have for my 486 to make sure they aren't dead, and they all passed with flying colors. Now I need to find a Winbond 64kx1 22 pin 15ns SRAM chip or Cypress chip since the AT&T 64kx1 22 pin 15ns SRAM chip isn't compatible with my Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 9596 of 27575, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pimped my PIII laptop with some RAM. This week, two modules of PC-100 RAM arrives, so I swap current 192 MB (128 + 64) for 512 MB (256 + 256) 😈

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 9597 of 27575, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
the_ultra_code wrote:
Sadly, the only floppy cable I currently have doesn't have that "missing pin" hole molded shut has a cover that sounds like what […]
Show full quote
derSammler wrote:
konc wrote:

Sadly, the only floppy cable I currently have doesn't have that "missing pin" hole molded shut has a cover that sounds like what you described. Even after removing the top part of the cover with a box cutter, there was still more of it further in the hole that I couldn't remove. Since I'd rather not make any mods of any destructive nature to the Gotek emulator, I'll just wait till the new cables arrive.

Thanks for the responses, though, guys.

Now, about that corrosion on my AWE64 Gold... 😀

Make a hole:

Use a paperclip, straighten it, use a lighter to heat the end of the paperclip. When hot just push it in the connector to make a hole.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 9598 of 27575, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:

Make a hole:

Use a paperclip, straighten it, use a lighter to heat the end of the paperclip. When hot just push it in the connector to make a hole.

Make sure to hold the paperclip with pliers, or be prepared to drop a glowing hot paperclip on the floor. 😀

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 9599 of 27575, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

root42... It's a paperclip and it's long. When heating one end the other doesn't get hot. I use this all the time since I don't know when. Paperclip should be the bigger one as the width of the pin matches it's width.

in other news... it took almost 10 days for SRAM package to arrive within EU... Tested the M919 SRAM module on the motherboard and... it works 😁 After 3-4 years of searching for it I finally found it for an acceptable price in a lot of 6 others made for Pentium boards.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs