VOGONS

First post, by MatureTech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
REM CWDINIT sets BLASTER but not ULTRA16.  (?)
REM port, play dma0, irq, cardtype, capture dma1
REM cardtype 0 = autodetect
REM others = ??
SET ULTRA16=534,1,5,0,0

I'm trying to get WSS to work in Mpxplay on a CS423X. It's being stubborn. The identification of ULTRA16 fields above is from hearsay rather than actual documentation. Does anyone know where to find good documentation of the ULTRA16 variable or just the list of card types that can be specified when 0 doesn't work? Thanks.

ISA go Bragh™

Reply 1 of 2, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have my CS4232 cards working well in MPXplay. The commands are:

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4
SET ULTRA16=530,1,7,0
MPXplay.exe -scs wss -scv 100

Notes:
- Tested to work with MPXplay v1.58 and v1.60.
- It is not easy to get this card to IRQ 7 without EEPROM adjustment, but IRQ 5 should be fine too.
- The "-scv 100" parameter is to open the master volume of the WSS device, which is normally muted when idle in DOS. MPXplay does not mute the card at closing though. I have a custom version of MPXplay 1.60 that opens and mutes the WSS volume without this command.
- Sinds there is a GUS in the system too, I use the parameter "-scs wss" to select the CS4232 instead.

Troubleshooting:
- If the soundcard was used in Sound Blaster mode, it may not want to go back to WSS mode: Run CS32WSS.exe or reboot to fix this.
- Some games do Sound Blaster DMA Transfers without full DMA-Acknowledge at exit. After closing such a game and running MPXplay or something: the CS4232 will sound garbled. I have a small tool to fix this, borrowed from the Quake 1 sound driver. Or just run Quake 1...

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 2, by MatureTech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the pointers. It's working now:

• * I needed the -scv trick to unmute WSS audio. -scv 85 is about right.
    * Mpxplay then works in WSS mode with ULTRA16 left unset.
    * Setting ULTRA16 tended to get the sound locked up so that NOTHING worked until a re-init, so even if I had it right on the second try it still failed.

ISA go Bragh™