VOGONS

First post, by toaster420

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I rescued a machine based off of a Shuttle HOT-433 v4 from a junkyard a couple days ago.

I was taking the CPU out to remove the heatsink, but realized it was glued on 😒 so I don't know what CPU it's running, and I haven't had a chance to start playing with it yet.

I was not fortunate enough to get a version with a PS/2 port built in which according to the manual was optional. The motherboard is the version which only has one AT keyboard port. The motherboard does have a header labeled PS/2 right next to ports for some other breakaway cables for serial devices.

If I can even find the right cable to allow me to hook up a PS/2 keyboard and mouse to it, I would need a place to mount it, but that's not too big of a problem. What are my other decent options for running a mouse on this machine? I figured for now I could just wait for a PS/2 to AT adapter to show up and use it keyboard only.

Reply 2 of 18, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, nice find.
What junkyard did you rescue it from? a metal recycle yard, a domestic recycler?
I wish i could find stuff like that, or own a HOT433, seems a great board.

Reply 3 of 18, by toaster420

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjt wrote:

Grab a PS/2 port with bracket from eBay and move the pins in the plug to match your board, should work fine.

Oh duh! Thanks a bunch! I am a big old dummy and forgot these even existed/it was a standard port. I ordered a PS2 to AT adapter already so I assume i'll use the KB in that and the mouse in the bracket.

JaNoZ wrote:

Wow, nice find.
What junkyard did you rescue it from? a metal recycle yard, a domestic recycler?
I wish i could find stuff like that, or own a HOT433, seems a great board.

It's a general recycling/trash dump which is half commercial and half owned by the town, so it's weird. I happen to live in a part of the USA where people hold onto their old electronics for a long time, I guess. We have a recycling/trash dump near me where people can dump TVs etc, often times people drop off old computers thinking they're worthless. I've gotten a couple loaded Apple II's from there before. This is my first pre-Pentium x86 find there in years and years though. Usually just CRT TVs and one or two P4's.

Reply 4 of 18, by max1024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi 2 all, I have Shuttle HOT-433 and try to run Win XP SP3 on 128 EDO RAM, and Pentium Overdrive 83Mhz, but have a problem with DIN keyboard. On the stage after choosing xp core (F5), I change C-Step 486 and copy process begin. After one or two minutes, I take a message "keyboard does not found", but two minutes ago I have pressed OK. So I try native DIN kbd and ps/2 via DIN adapter - unsuccess. In what is the problem? And how to solve it?

My articles: overclockers.ru/search/result?searchStr=max1024&sec=articles

Reply 5 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ had the same problem once, keyboard was working during boot but after a while it was dead... I reflowed the keyboard connector on the mobo and all was fixed

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 18, by max1024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

^ had the same problem once, keyboard was working during boot but after a while it was dead... I reflowed the keyboard connector on the mobo and all was fixed

So I'm right understand, that you turn off DIN connector from motherboard and then turn it on in it? On what point did this happen? After screen with error or before?

Reply 7 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What I mean is that the solder joints on the DIN connector had cracks and the connection to the mobo was lost , that's why I was getting the unresponsive keyboard error. When I applied some fresh solder on the joints all were fixed.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 18, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Shuttle HOT-433 v4 as well and although I really haven't had many issues its been reported to be a rather buggy board. don't hold out hope for that PS/2 port because if I remember correctly it just doesn't work.

Reply 9 of 18, by max1024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Shuttle HOT-433 version without ps/2 port. I have tried two kbd's one native DIN, second ps/2 via DIN adapter, also tried two distributives of Wxp sp2 and Sp3, but the error is the same, - there is no found Keyboard. May be need special driver or try to find PCI - ps/2 kbd/mice card ?

Reply 10 of 18, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no such thing as a PS/2 PCI card. Cards that do offer PS/2 ports are usually just USB cards with a PS2/USB converter onboard. See if there are any broken traces (test thigs with a multimeter), and if not, see if you can replace the keyboard controller. AFAIK the HOT-433 has a socket for an external keyboard/mouse controller, so you could add one and use jumpers to disable the onboard one. Also try reflowing the connector.

Reply 11 of 18, by max1024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But in W98 all is OK, think it is software bug.
About PCI to PS/2 cards, what you say about like this?

Reply 12 of 18, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just an USB card with a converter AFAIK. Neither PCI nor ISA exposes some required signals for an external controller. A keyboard there would probably work inside Windows XP (if this board even works on the HOT-443... I have a VIA-based USB card and it refuses to work on my older PCs where a NEC-based one works just fine), but not on DOS or the BIOS.

Reply 13 of 18, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

" I have had nothing but trouble with Shuttle HOT-433 boards. SCSI bus mastering issues and issues with reliable cache operation. I also determined that the HOT-433 boards are not wired correctly for a PS/2 mouse for, neither, the chipset-based PS/2 mouse, nor the dedicated KBC and inverter DIPs." -Feipoa

Feipoa may be the guy to talk to as he has some experence with this board though his opinion of it isnt high. As I said I havnt had many issues with it but then I havnt bothered with the possibly none working ps/2 header or SCSI.

Reply 14 of 18, by max1024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today or tonight I have tried Win Whistler - no KBD, next w2k - same problem, any ideas :-0

Reply 15 of 18, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone seen a photo of a Shuttle HOT-433 v1-3 or v4 with the PS/2 mouse DIN onboard? I have not and am doubtfull that they exist.

No matter what pins you connect a PS/2 mouse to on the "PS/2 mouse" header, it will not work on any version of the HOT-433. The PCB traces to the mouse header do not seem to be going to the right ICs and are missing components. I've been hoping to have time to reverse engineer this, like I've done on other boards, but do not have the time. Read this thread if you think you are up to the challenge. Native PS/2 mouse implementation for 386/486 boards using the keyboard controller

For installation of W2K or later operating systems, there are PCI bus mastering issues which I've noticed with a SCSI controller and, if I recall correctly, a PCI ATA controller. The system will hang up when trying to boot W2K (and probably XP). I beleive the onboard IDE port in PIO mode will work with W2K, but it is awefully slow.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 16 of 18, by max1024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now I have solve this problem. The last AMI BIOS can detect DIN KBD, but during memory test kbd does not work, but after memory test it works good. Also last Award BIOS detects kbd at any time, but does not support HDD larger then 4Gb, AMI BIOS does not have this bug.

Reply 17 of 18, by Blazejos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I solved this problem around 2005 because in paper manual wasn't any information about PS/2 port pinout so somwhere on Shuttle HOT motherboard website was this picture

img00020.png
Filename
img00020.png
File size
3.7 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pin Beschreibung Farbe 1 Farbe 2
1 Data rot weiß
2 nicht belegt - -
3 Ground grün schwarz