VOGONS

First post, by ilpalazzo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I got my Voodoo 2 broken somehow and I wonder if someone might have an idea if there might be a fix.
So I had this perfectly working old box - Asus P/I P55T2P4, handful of pentium processors of different speeds, 128 MB RAM, ATI Mach64, SB AWE64 and Creative CT 6670 12 MB Voodoo 2 card.

It worked fine up until february or march. I've been very busy since then and didn't have the time to boot it up but when I did it didn't work. The monitor turns on, that is the light goes green and I can hear the noise of degaussing, but the screen stays black. It works if I connect the VGA cable directly to the video card. I can see the Voodoo card in the device manager when I boot up to Windows. The card is properly detected in the desktop properties applet. I can sense the chips on the card being warm. No picture though when cable connected to the Voodoo card.

I tried putting it in other PCI slots and I put it in another PC but nothing changed.

I remember it working fine earlier this year, the only problem I had was that refresh rate setting through registry entry stopped working. And the CMOS battery in my mobo is dead and doesn't keep any settings but it is unreplaceable unfortunately.

Anyway, anyone having any idea what might go wrong?

Reply 1 of 5, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What version of voodoo2 is it?

Likely one of the passive components died (electrolytic or tantalum).

To test [what] died exactly, hook up your monitor to the 2D video card, start a glide game, then hook up your monitor to the voodoo2 and see if you get a picture (it may be that the passthrough simply isn't working). Because, a voodoo2 doesn't need its main chips to be working for the passthrough: I know this because I bridged the traces on a voodoo2 once (by accident), but it still passed the picture through despite not being detected or able to function... I've since fixed it.

Reply 2 of 5, by ilpalazzo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know how to tell which version it is, there are numbers on the card here and there but I don't know which one is relevant.

Anyway, I did what you describe and no luck. I run Quake 2 with monitor hooked up to video card, screen went gray and I could hear game sounds. Switched vga cables and nothing there, blank screen.

Reply 3 of 5, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, it's most likely a passive component near the VGA output is preventing both the passthrough and 3D output from going to the monitor.

If there are any electrolytics or tantalums near the output (again I don't know what type of card it is), I would advise replacing them. If you don't have the skills to solder or someone to do it for you, it would probably easier to purchase another one.

Reply 5 of 5, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check every little leg of the chips closely and see if none of them touch another. I have seen this happen with 3dfx cards. A very small needle can help in this case... just my 2cts

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1