VOGONS

First post, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This must have been the worst Sound Blaster Live card to ever have existed. I've had a few of these and I don't think I ever successfully managed to load drivers for them.

I have another one now, and I'm trying to get it to work under Windows XP, but the Drivers from Creative http://support.creative.com/downloads/welcome … erType=1#type_1 don't work. I get an error saying an SB Live card wasn't detected. I can see it in Device manager, but it looks like the hardware ID doesn't match the drivers.

Is this a proprietary card which only works with Dell? Or am I doing someting wrong.

I've tried:
"SBL5DL_DRVPACK_LB.exe" 24.0MB
"LiveDrvUni-Pack(ENG).exe" 23.3MB

I actually wanted to use this card under Windows 98 with SB16 emulation, but I can't even get it to work under XP.

If it helps, here is the Device Manager Instance ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80661102&REV0A\3&61AAA01&0&40

Is the card maybe faulty? It looks perfect.

Thanks in advance for any help in this regard.

Last edited by Totempole on 2014-08-08, 13:01. Edited 1 time in total.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 1 of 52, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went through this whole thing already. You don't want this card trust me. 🤣

SoundBlaster Live! SB0200 issues. Use the drivers I mention in the second post and you will get it working if the card is still good.

But seriously dude buy the non-OEM version. Get the SB0060 which is the full retail version, all your troubles will disappear and it will work perfectly as a SB16 emulated card in DOS and a kick ass sound card for windows games.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2 of 52, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't worry, I got this card for free, so no big loss. I have a CT4670 as well, but I first want to be sure I can get the SB0220 working under XP, so I can swop them out. I grabbed those drivers in your post. Will give them a try tomorrow.

EDIT: I don't think those drivers will work for me since I have the SB0220 not the SB0200.

Could someone perhaps direct me to drivers that will work for me?

Thanks.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 3 of 52, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a dell model under creative support for the live 5.1 oem.
Live! - Soundblaster Live! Digital 5.1 (Dell)
http://support.creative.com/Products/product_ … e=Sound+Blaster#
Use those drivers, they work fine in XP\2k.
You need to select windows 2000 for the correct driver, XP just gives the XP-64\Vista one.

Reply 4 of 52, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh oops 🤣 I just realized that is a different card than I had. Sorry about that. 😜
I have a model 4780 also, someone gave me that when I bought a PCI Yamaha XG off of them for a few bucks. I don't think the CT4780 is the full version either if I recall correctly.

Reply 5 of 52, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know if I have the same SB Live as you, but I know mine came out of a Dell system - never had issues loading the drivers from the Creative website or using the card in non-Dell motherboard. If I remember I'll check which version I have - I know it's only able to do 4.0 analog and has digital outputs, if that helps anyone take a guess at what it is.

Reply 6 of 52, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hos is the Audigy SE as a substitute? The web drivers from Creative work without any issues.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 52, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

XP\2K\Vista
The drivers from the creative site are ok work well, and have full functionality.
Its in 9x that the OEM cards can be a pain to get working correctly if your lacking the CD.

Don't own a Audigy SE can't say about that, Just a few Audigy 1's.

Reply 8 of 52, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It seems to work fine. Up to EAX 2 or 3 but via software. Not a big deal on faster processors I guess. But for reason I always avoided the Live! and went with a Vortex 2 for my W98 projects.

My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 52, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nahkri wrote:

It works in windows 98,i managed to find online an img of the original cd,haven't tried it out in windows xp.

What card is this now? And care to share the link please?

My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 52, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Firtasik wrote:

Look for SB_INSTAL SB0220.nrg image file. I can try upload it if you want. I have this card and it does work under DOS/W98/XP.

I would much appreciate it if you could upload this file. I can't seem to get hold of it online. Only dead P2P links are available. If you can't find a suitable place to upload, you can upload it here for me.
http://filegooi.co.za/uploadbay/uploads Thanks.

This is what I have:

dabZBXG.jpg
Gqdyz8H.jpg

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 14 of 52, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's something interesting, if I google the device ID, it seems like the card is being picked up as an SB0100. Not sure if this is of any help, but it probably explains why the correct drivers don't work.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 15 of 52, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hd0d4t5jsxzcng/Sou … %28SB0220%29.7z

Small tip: if the driver installation hangs close to end, just kill the non-responding InstallShield process (there will be two of them: hanged and not hanged). Yeah, that's wierd, but it happens under my XP SP3 system.

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 17 of 52, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot guys, tried the drivers you provided and either one works perfectly. 😀 My card is detected as "SB Live! Audio [D400]".

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 19 of 52, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yay! I'm glad you got it working, hopefully you can get those OEM cards to work under DOS when you try it on windows 98, I never could. Then again I couldn't get my Yamaha PCI card to work under DOS and someone just did recently on this forum, I'm going to have to go check that out one of these days.