VOGONS

Reply 20 of 52, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, it's quite a pain under pure DOS. However, this drivers should work with SB0220: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1p5oooxejpb8gl/LiveDos.zip

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 21 of 52, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah that looks like a typical Live 5.1 to me. They are a bit trickier to find drivers for. The Dell device ID adds to the pain.

The really annoying Dell Live! is the SB0200 that uses a different audio chip. It's a bait-and-switch product because it's branded a Live! but it has no hardware processing. Possibly a relabeled ES1373.

Reply 22 of 52, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks again everyone, I'm not too concerned about it working in DOS, because I've decided to swop it with a CT4670 which I'm currently using in an XP only machine. So I'll have the SB0220 on XP and the CT4670 in Win98SE with SB16 Emulation.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 23 of 52, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I have an SB0200, it's total crap. Is the CT4670 a real SB Live though?

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 24 of 52, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:

Yeah I have an SB0200, it's total crap. Is the CT4670 a real SB Live though?

It might actually be a CT4870. The CT4670 and CT4870 are very similar. Yes, they are real SB Live!'s, but they're stereo, not 5.1, I think they were called SB Live! Value or something, budget 1st Generation SB Live!'s.
Anyway, I have the original box and driver CD for this one, so it won't be an issue to set it up.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 25 of 52, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh nice, If it's a CT4780 you should shoot me the driver disc as an iso. 🤣 I have the exact same card and I never got it working, I don't think I really tried to look for the drivers though.

Reply 27 of 52, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, if you have the choice, these are the ones to get:

CT4620 -- 1st-gen/original SB Live! (gold-plated 3.5mm jacks)
CT4670 -- 1st gen SB Live! Value (colored plastic jacks)
CT4760 -- 2nd gen SB Live! Platinum (also X-Gamer / MP3 -- all have gold-plated 3.5mm jacks)
CT4780 -- 2nd gen SB Live! Value (colored plastic jacks)

These are 4.0 cards. if you want 5.1 (or even 7.1) I really suggest that you get Audigy 1 (SB0090) or even better, Audigy 2 ZS (SB0350, SB0360) instead. Audigy 2 non-ZS cards have several SB numbers there I don't remember. :p

[EDIT] Also as per info below:
SB0060 -- (3rd gen) SB Live! 5.1 (and probably retail/Value versions SB010x too)

The problem with the OEM Live! 5.1 SB0200/SB0220 is, from what I read, that sometimes the device ID isn't even included in a certain driver version, making it impossible to detect the card properly and to get it working (win9x at least). Therefore picking the right driver is important. Of course OEMs got different CT/SB numbers (and likely different dev IDs too) to make it more complicated, which is why I suggest the above standard models. CT483x and CT487x are also Value/OEM versions of the 4.0 Live! series and likely to fare better in win9x than the 5.1 series.

A2ZS OEM cards however, are also the same SB0350 cards without the gold plated minijacks (SB0360 being the Platinum Pro), so it's the easiest to pick up. Probably Creative realized all the headaches they have caused at this point and had a momentary enlightenment. I have an Audigy 1 OEM that's also SB0090 though, same number as the gold-plated retail version.

Last edited by archsan on 2014-08-09, 00:35. Edited 1 time in total.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 28 of 52, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never had a problem with my SB Live 5.0 SB0600 card (Full retail).

Reply 29 of 52, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

I've never had a problem with my SB Live 5.0 SB0600 card (Full retail).

I've never seen that model number, or do you mean Live! 5.1 SB0060?

Btw does it work well in win9x?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 30 of 52, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oops 🤣 yeah I mean SB0060. Slight typo, and yeah it works great under Windows 98 SE and in DOS mode. I have it installed in a 1996 Packard Bell Platinum 55 at the moment and I'm very happy with it. It makes windows games sound fab and Dos games sound fairly true to the SB16 also.

Reply 31 of 52, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool! I did mention of the retail 5.1 when making the above post but deleted it because I wasn't sure. I'm adding it back to my list. 😀

Reply 32 of 52, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As long as the SB0220 works under XP, I'm happy. 😀

I just checked and the other card I have is the retail CT4670. Are the CT4830 and CT4870 OEM or retail?

I also have an SB0570 which is apparently Audigy SE. Looks remarkably similar to an SB Live! 24-Bit

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 33 of 52, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think the Audigy and Audigy 2 works under W98 though.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 34 of 52, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I don't think the Audigy and Audigy 2 works under W98 though.

Nope, but I felt sorry for the guy who was selling it and bought it for $5.00. It works great under XP with the drivers from Creative's website. No 10Kx chip though. Default wavetable sounds identical to the SB Live!.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 35 of 52, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Audigy 1 works fine under 9x.
As long as you have the CD drivers then its patch updates that never contain all the programs leaving you with very basic functionality without the CD.
You can often use the Audigy OEM cd with the SBLIVE! 5.1 OEM models too it contains the drivers for most of em.

Reply 36 of 52, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are the ones.
Livecds_zpscf1623ea.jpg

The yellow\white ones are Audigy OEM disks, and should be in the creative sound blaster driver thread with a burnable iso.
The New Creative Labs Sound Blaster Drivers Collection. (Updated 6th Jan. 2014)

there pretty easy to find at thrift stores\junk shops too.

Reply 37 of 52, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea I don't like discs, they install way too much. Slows down my HDD cloning. I think I will just stick with the Audigy LE or SE for W98. The web drivers work fine and it has EAX up to level 3 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 38 of 52, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But do you get Audio HQ with those in 9x? I know the audigy 1 doesn't and neither do the sblives!
The downloadable 2k\XP drivers do contain Ahq. Atleast for the sblives!

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2014-08-09, 02:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 39 of 52, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No only the retail disk will give you all the creative labs extras and stuff