VOGONS

Reply 40 of 52, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Totempole wrote:

As long as the SB0220 works under XP, I'm happy. 😀

I just checked and the other card I have is the retail CT4670. Are the CT4830 and CT4870 OEM or retail?

I also have an SB0570 which is apparently Audigy SE. Looks remarkably similar to an SB Live! 24-Bit

AFAIK, CT4670 and CT4780 are the retail versions of Live! Value, while the CT4830 and CT4870 are the OEM versions of Live! Value that are fully compatible in terms of EAX processing (EMU10k1 chip) and with the retail VxD/WDM drivers. From various driver descriptions I've also seen the numbers 4831 4832 4850 4871 4872, but not sure what the differences are.

EDIT: Ah, I guess you better check here, from their own mother: http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=10846

And you can use kX driver to get SB220 working in 7 iirc, but not the half-size cards without an EMU10K1/EMU10K2 chip (like the Live! 24-bit or Audigy SE).

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I don't think the Audigy and Audigy 2 works under W98 though.

They do work in 9x! Well, 98SE & Me that is. Even the A2 ZS does work out of the box, with the drivers in the CD that comes with it.

Audigy SE, OTOH, doesn't have the EMU10Kx chip and the EAX support is only software-based. So my recommendations is that you get at least an Audigy1 (SB0090) for EAX 3 (AdvancedHD).

Last edited by archsan on 2014-08-09, 02:18. Edited 1 time in total.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 41 of 52, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlphaWing wrote:

But do you get Audio HQ with those in 9x? I know the audigy 1 doesn't and neither do the sblives!
The downloadable 2k\XP drivers do contain Ahq. Atleast for the sblives!

What does Audio HQ do?

At least under XP, with the web drivers I can access all the important stuff like EAX, CMSS-3D...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 42 of 52, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AHQ lets you control your soundfonts which synth channel your using, amount of sounds heard and what eax effects, get applied to what, and speaker settings.
AudioHQ_zpsa797ecfd.png
This thing.

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2014-08-09, 02:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 43 of 52, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember installing Audigy SB0090 OEM on Win Me and the driver/software CD was pretty complete (same as retail version CD iirc). I'll check if I still have that CD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 45 of 52, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Arrgh, can't find it yet, who moved my cheese, er, CDs?!!! 😠

I'm 100% sure it's the blue one like the disc in the left here: http://www.mysuperpc.com/pc_assembly/sound_bl … er_contents.jpg

Reply 47 of 52, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlphaWing wrote:

But do you get Audio HQ with those in 9x? I know the audigy 1 doesn't and neither do the sblives!
The downloadable 2k\XP drivers do contain Ahq. Atleast for the sblives!

With the iso i use i get Audio Hq in Windows 98 for my sb 0220

Creative_zpse48b2967.png

Reply 48 of 52, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Nahkri
So does the SB0220 work good for win9x and DOS games (under win98 at least)?
That would be good as it actually has EMU10K1 chip (unlike SB020x) and seems to be pretty common (and very cheap).

Reply 49 of 52, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Had a look and I got four live! cards:

Live! 5.1 SB0100
2x CT4830
CT4780

My YouTube channel

Reply 50 of 52, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
archsan wrote:

@Nahkri
That would be good as it actually has EMU10K1 chip (unlike SB020x) and seems to be pretty common (and very cheap).

For windows it works fine,get's picked up by games that use eax,for dos i haven't tried.

Reply 51 of 52, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems only 1 of my four cards work. With 2 the machine doesn't post and 1 doesn't get detected.

The 100 is the only one that works. The disc FIRTASIK uploaded works fine 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 52 of 52, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
archsan wrote:

I've tried the Firtasik iso, thanks, and the sound blaster 16 emulation driver is not installed. Trying to install the ini manually does nothing. So i'm afraid sb0220 has no sound at all for dos games, apparently it's such a crappy card. You get the poor and useless windows 98 emulation instead, same as my via integrated audio.
EDIT: It's even worse, the installer installed the WDM drivers and then i installed the VXD drivers from the drivers folder but these are not working with DirectX so only basic sound in windows. This card is not even compatible with VXD drivers, avoid! (FIXED)
EDIT2: At least i can get music in doom using general midi but with distorted sfx. Also only sfx in wolf3d and no opl emulation. In real dos with livedos.zip and 2mg4.ecw i only get sfx but no music in doom but i get full sound in wolf3d.
EDIT3:fixed real dos, midi volume was set to zero in mixer. But music worked in wolf3d and was wavetable. If i select sound blaster in doom i get slow music with the opl emulation and heavily distorted sound, this is a 2 ghz pentium 4 and the mobo has a via p4x266 chipset.
EDIT4:the directx installation was screwed, i reinstalled directx and that fixed the directsound problem but i changed the sound card, the live is now on another machine. I still need to test the sb16 emulation on that rig.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)