VOGONS

Reply 20 of 49, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
georgeqgreg wrote:

Anyway, I'm obviously doing something as far as Windows 98 is concerned wrong.

There really isn't much to do wrong 😒

Sorry to not be of more help...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 21 of 49, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sure I've screwed something up, the question is one of "WHAT?" I was initially confused on how you're even supposed to go about it. Is windows supposed to tell you the driver isn't recommended?

Or perhaps the linux driver is just that good.

Reply 22 of 49, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the end, I decided to reinstall windows. Already formatting. Will probably be finished with everything tomorrow. I noticed your drivers already had a few tweeks to them, I assume to make them more stable. And so, I'm going to try them FIRST. Maybe you will turn out to have been rather helpful after all. 😎

Reply 23 of 49, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't remember ever having problems like this getting a Vortex card working and I've used them on quite a variety of boards. So I think either the Vortex 2 is defective, or 98SE dislikes your motherboards for some reason.

Are you installing the Intel chipset INF for i810 and whatever P4 motherboard you have? I don't think 98SE recognizes even i810.

Also I don't remember if you clarified what other cards are installed. Other cards and slot order can definitely cause problems like this. Even motherboard devices that are on PCI can cause these problems because some PCI slots share resources with onboard hardware like USB and IDE. Win98 is quirky about what devices share resources with each other.

And did you look for any mention of ACPI in device manager? I'm suspicious of that too because ACPI also definitely can cause PCI device problems. Win98 is the first Windows with ACPI and it is buggy. Motherboard BIOSs can have buggy ACPI too.

Reply 24 of 49, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, well for the i815, (which is the Compaq) current config, is that I have a Radeon 9200 AGP installed, with the Aureal currently in the first slot. On the custom build with a P4P800S (asus board, look on their site for full specs) current config is a Nvidia FX5200 AGP, and of course when I was using it I had the Aureal in that board instead. And one of the first things I did upon reinstalling Windows 98 is install the chipset drivers. (And of course, I did that with every install. The IDE performance is really balls without installing proper drivers for it.)

On the topic of resource sharing... I told you Compaq was... weird. I can only assign IRQ 5, 10, or 11, and have to do it MANUALLY. Though if I restore factory config it will automatically assign them to ones it thinks it best. Nevertheless, that obviously means there's a LOT of resource sharing involved. Like I said, it sucks.

I'll be on the lookout for ACPI.

EDIT: Right now I can only boot into safe mode, so device manager may be showing me strange stuff, but there's many entries referencing ACPI, such as "ACPI IRQ Holder." Hmm...

Reply 25 of 49, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By first PCI slot, do you mean the one right below the AGP slot? That one shares IRQ with AGP. You should always start with the second PCI slot.

If ACPI is mentioned anywhere in Device Manager, then Windows is in ACPI mode. To switch it to APM mode you ideally reinstall with the "/p i" switch that I posted. At least, I hope that's the right switch. I haven't done this in years.

Reply 26 of 49, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You shouldn't have to do anything regarding manually configuring resources. The BIOS should be set to PnP and assigning resources automatically.

My YouTube channel

Reply 27 of 49, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SHOULD is right. But this is Compaq we're talking about. Maybe I should just show you what the goofy-ass bios looks like. EDIT: And here it is. I warned you... http://youtu.be/x-jFK-bi8DU

Reply 28 of 49, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I installed using that switch! When I got to the driver install, it went through without crashing at all! I thought I had finally licked it! So I took a screenshot and opened up paint so I could save it. Paint spawned a dialog box asking me if I wanted to enlarge the area... and then Windows crashed when the dialog box tried to play a sound.

Then I saw god and he told me to go fuck myself.

Reply 29 of 49, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I broke down and installed Windows XP on the Compaq. You know Chrome no longer supports Pentium III CPUs? 🤣

Anyway, the Aureal worked perfectly out of the box, gameport and all. If the card's broken, it's a hell of a strange sort of broken, working perfectly in Windows XP and Linux.

Reply 30 of 49, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just tried to see aureal.com on the internet archive to see if it had any advice. Internet archive no longer has it due to robots.txt! Seems some asshole bought the website, replaced it with a virus, (so uhh... don't go there.) and put in a robots.txt that blocks /! (everything!) Shiiiiiiit.

Reply 33 of 49, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I had this amazing idea to check Windows XP device manager. You know what? I have an 8820, not an 8830. I'm stpuid! I'm an asshole! Ban me for life! I have shamed my family! Give me a robot cat from the future! 😵

Reply 34 of 49, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
georgeqgreg wrote:

So I had this amazing idea to check Windows XP device manager. You know what? I have an 8820, not an 8830. I'm stpuid! I'm an asshole! Ban me for life! I have shamed my family! Give me a robot cat from the future! 😵

You're kidding 🤣

Does it work now with the Vortex 1 drivers?

My YouTube channel

Reply 36 of 49, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
georgeqgreg wrote:

Formatting... hard drive. Installing 98... again. While we're here, are there any caveats with the *ORIGINAL* to know about? So glad you're taking it on the chin too.

I know the feeling of when you figured out something. Doesn't matter the reason.

Like this Matrox G400 patch for Expendable. It kept me up all night. And then it turned out that I had a 16 MB version of the card and 1024 x 768 was just too high of a resolution. Not once did I think of trying a lower resolution or in 16 bit mode 😊

My YouTube channel

Reply 37 of 49, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, when I first installed the drivers, windows gave no warnings, but then randomly BSODed. BUT! When I reboot the card installed automatically and now works fine! 😁 In my opinion, the Sound Blaster Live emulator sounds way more like the Adlib, but then the shitty creative emulator only works in DOS, and on this particular computer is glitchy as hell. I'm playing Monkey Island 2 with adlib sound in Windows. And my sidewinder works. I like it!

Reply 38 of 49, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's excellent!

Now I do wonder, the Vortex 2 is fully compatible with A3D and all of that. Is there any reason to use a Vortex over a Vortex 2? Apart from "well that's what I got lying around"

My YouTube channel

Reply 39 of 49, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think there's a reason to go for a Vortex 1 instead of Vortex 2, but Vortex 1 does sound essentially every bit as great as Vortex 2. You just don't have A3D 2.0 support for the few games that use that.