VOGONS

First post, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Anyone knows how to enable DMA in windows 95 osr2 for this chipset.
The PIO4 is driving me crazy, since the ide channels slows down quite a bit.
I have no pci option, so i have to use this onboard ide controller.

Are there any drivers for win95? or 98 maybe for this chipset to enable MW DMA?

thanks

Last edited by JaNoZ on 2014-08-25, 17:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 34, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found a M5219 driver that should install the M1489 IDE interface also, but it asks for a idehdd.mpd which is sadly not included.

If anyone could help me get the idehdd.mpd file i would appriciate it.

Also found a DOS udma enabler for several chipsets might anyone be interested, maybe some of you guys using CF cards can really benefit from this.
Or some that have modern fast DMA capable HDD's in their old rigs under dos.

Attachments

• Filename
    m5219.zip
    File size
    9.08 KiB
    Downloads
    107 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    UDMA_V71.ZIP
    File size
    8.41 KiB
    Downloads
    133 downloads
    File license

Reply 2 of 34, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JaNoZ wrote:

I found a M5219 driver that should install the M1489 IDE interface also, but it asks for a idehdd.mpd which is sadly not included.

If anyone could help me get the idehdd.mpd file i would appreciate it.

Looked inside a bunch of DriverGuide archives that had ALi IDE drivers, but no such luck. 🙁

It appears people have been looking for this file since 2000.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&s … 00%26safe%3Doff

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 34, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How do you know this chipset supports UDMA? I did not see anything in the product brief to indicate UDMA support.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 34, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Instead of UDMA.SYS in DOS you can use UIDE.SYS from the FreeDOS project. It also has it's own cachecing which adds the advantage of not having to use SMARTDRV, in turn saving you some memory: http://johnson.tmfc.net/dos/driver.html

Documentation: http://help.fdos.org/en/hhstndrd/base/uide.htm

The biggest drawback with this driver is it's 5MB MINIMUM cache requirement and not setting any parameters will default to 80MB cache. So ideally you'd want to have at least 128MB (256 or 512 would be better) for this nice driver.

Regarding your windows 95 driver issue I cannot help you 🙁

Reply 8 of 34, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could you share the information you have which suggest the ALi 1487/1489 chipset supports DMA for hard disk access on the integrated IDE port? I was under the impression that the popular PCI 486 chipsets, such as ALi 1487/1489, UMC 8881/8886, and SiS 496/497 were PIO only. Or is such an adaption for DMA only a driver (software) requirement?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 9 of 34, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as I know all PCI 486 chipsets should be capable of offering DMA modes for IDE. I know the SiS has one.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 34, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I only know of drivers for 9x. If you can't get drivers for NT then I guess it can't be turned on.

No idea as to how good it is, as I've never used it before. I always go SCSI.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 12 of 34, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try renaming the m5219.mpd in the attached file to idehdd.mpd?

Attachments

• Filename
    M1523.zip
    File size
    9.01 KiB
    Downloads
    79 downloads
    File license

Reply 13 of 34, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I already tried renaming in the beginning, but it still gave me an not working IDE controller.
I had completely removed it, before that it was recognized as DUAL ESDI/IDE device, and i could tick the dma box but after the required restart it was ticked off again.

But i found some goodness after all, and of course like to share with all of you with ALI M1487/M1489 chipsets.
It has drivers for DOS-win311 i presume and win95 and nt3.5
I will have to try when i get home after work this evening, and let you know succes or not.

PCI chipset 1489 has EIDE and should support up to MW DMA 0,1,2 since the spec of ATA2
Standard, the controller uese PIO as always to be on the safe side, but this is a real pain as of performance.
Anyone would like to use MW DMA instead when possible, and this really releaves teh 486 cpu load.
Copying files and using the desktop should be so much smoother, but drivers for windows are and were always a paing to install / uninstall so who know if it would really work.
I have several 486 PCI boards which could benfit from this driver and use the pci slot for something els instead, since the ALI only supports up to 3 pci slots.

Attachments

• Filename
    aliide m1489.zip
    File size
    115.09 KiB
    Downloads
    152 downloads
    File license

Reply 14 of 34, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice find... I think I have or at least I used to have one of these controllers...

Don't forget this little tidbit from the README:

In order for the ALi IDE driver to work in best performance,you must specify your computer's PCI Local Bus clock speed in MH […]
Show full quote

In order for the ALi IDE driver to work in best performance,you must
specify your computer's PCI Local Bus clock speed in MHz. Valid values
are between 20 and 50.

Examples:

From the Start Menu, select Run and type in "REGEDIT"

Open the HKEY_CURRENT_MACHINE/Enum/PCI folder.

Double click on "PCI_CLOCK". The "Binary ValueEditor"
box will appear. Enter your PCI Local Bus clock speed.
Be sure to enter number in right radix before click "OK".

Reply 15 of 34, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JaNoZ wrote:

I already tried renaming in the beginning, but it still gave me an not working IDE controller.
I had completely removed it, before that it was recognized as DUAL ESDI/IDE device, and i could tick the dma box but after the required restart it was ticked off again.

I ran across a bug in Windows 95 OSR2 in regards to this stupid check box. In order to ensure that the setting sticks and DMA is actually enabled, you have to check the box, click "close", and when the prompt comes up to reboot to apply changes, you must click "yes" and reboot immediately. Clicking "no" and restarting later does not work.

Reply 16 of 34, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have this issue on a 430TX chipset board. My tests with various drives show that DMA can be enabled with UDMA 2 drives. But with newer UDMA 4 and 5 drives the DMA tick box doesn't stick.

UDMA 2 drives are around the 4 GB. My smallest is a 20 GB and it's a UDMA 5. A 4 GB micro drive (also UDMA 2) also works. So it's a bit of a weird situation, slower, old drives allow enabling DMA whereas newer, faster drives don't.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 34, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Western Digital drives had a DOS utility to permanently (That is, it is retained after a power cycle) set the maximum UDMA rate... I don't know if this is true for their last IDE drives, but this was at least the case for their IDE drives of the late 90's and early 00's.

Reply 18 of 34, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JaNoZ wrote:

But i found some goodness after all, and of course like to share with all of you with ALI M1487/M1489 chipsets.
It has drivers for DOS-win311 i presume and win95 and nt3.5
I will have to try when i get home after work this evening, and let you know succes or not.

Looks like you found it then, and idehdd.mpd == aliide.mpd. Good job!
(Note: I am unable to test, I don't own this hardware.)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 19 of 34, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yezz Great Succes, at least to some kind.

Win95 gave me a hard time installing, but after 20 reboots and some lockups and fiddling with the driver i finally got it loaded some way that i wanted it to.
Anyway the secondary IDE is not really setup right, and cannot get it right maybe after a clean install again of windows 95.

Seems there is no tickbox anymore but instead of type 46 hdd it now read the full harddisk name and it is fast when copying files over.
I can do cross file copy's and the system is still responding ok -> ownage.
I can assume the DMA is working to some extend, it is better than it was.
Windows is really a whole lot faster in use now, no need to fiddle around with some isa scsi hdd controller now.

Fireball at M1489 EIDE works as it should, and gives me around 12,5MB's of file transfer l33tness.
Standard the pci clock in the registry was set to 28 and i have set it to 33 now, soon i will use it at 40 and multi 4 😈
Screenie attached.

Another good thing btw is that windows shuts down properly now instead of just hanging at the shutting down screen. i finali get to see the safe to turn off computer now screen 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    486 desktop.jpg
    File size
    98.56 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license