VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all I found this P200mmx cpu on ebay for cheap but upon inspecting the pictures a little closer (after I bid of course. Stupid me) some of the pins are bent and it almost looks like some are missing. Is this the case? Does anyone know if that pin config is normal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Pentium-P-200-M … =item2ed599408c

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 46, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At first it looks like a LOT of pins are mising. But at closer look it seems to be in some sort of socket/converter?

A black mmx cpu is completely black at the bottom and this one seems to be in a green pcb. Maybe used in a dual cpu system? overdrive? Couls also be some sort of mobile cpu.

I looked at a 200mmx of my own and the bottom inside the ring of pins is black, completely flat with the intel pentium (etc) printed on it. In your picture there are resistors etc. i have never seen before.

When you look at the pictures, in both you see a piece of green pcb sticking out at the ``shaved off`` corner. So it seems the green pcb sits in between the cpu and the piece with the missing pins?

Let us know what is is when you get it!

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 46, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Plenty of broken and bent pins and looks very different from my Pentium 200 MMX CPU. I'd retract my bid.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 3 of 46, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Of course it doesn't, since it looks nothing like all the rest 😀 I don't know what this is, but for sure it isn't a normal retail/untouched P200. It even has a price sticker, so it's not some kind of prototype too. I doubt that it'll work despite what the seller claims, this looks like a slaughtered cpu with bottom cover removed and a lot of pins broken.

Reply 5 of 46, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Pentium MMX 200 looks normal, but like kixs mentioned, it's mounted on some kind of adapter. If you look careful you'll see the orignal pins of the Pentium MMX on the spot of the 'missing pins'. I never saw an adapter like this but the chips suggest the adapter does some things regarding voltages.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 6 of 46, by mwenek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This begs the question of why take a chance? You will be stuck with it when/if it fails to work. There are more chips out there.

Win98SE Box: PIII 850, 128MB, 8 GB HDD, CL Live!, ATI 9600XT, 2x Diamond Voodoo 2 8MB
DOS Box: Intel 80 Mhz P24T Socket 3 OD, 16MB, 128MB CF Drive, Number 9 VLB, SiiG VLB IDE, SoundBlaster 16 ISA/WaveBlaster

Reply 7 of 46, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Agreed - looks bizarre. Here's another auction (linked as a "similar item" from the mystery-meat combo) that has a proper looking MMX:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141378111039

I don't think it's a mobile CPU either, based on these pictures:
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium/TYPE-Mo … tium%20MMX.html

Also looked for pictures of Socket 5 to 7 adapters and found this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mother-cp … rt-1,943-8.html

Reply 8 of 46, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I emailed the guy and told him I had changed my mind. I'm hoping he is ok with this and doesn't make me pay for it since I'm with you guys and I don't think this thing is going to work. It is pretty freakin bizarre looking though. My guess was what konc said, it looks like the bottom cover has been chipped off and too many pins are missing to even bother getting it.

If any of you figure out what it is though I'm still interested in knowing. 😁

Did you guys notice it says patent pending on the green board that is exposed?

Reply 9 of 46, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

Yeah I emailed the guy and told him I had changed my mind. I'm hoping he is ok with this and doesn't make me pay for it since I'm with you guys and I don't think this thing is going to work. It is pretty freakin bizarre looking though. My guess was what konc said, it looks like the bottom cover has been chipped off and too many pins are missing to even bother getting it.

If any of you figure out what it is though I'm still interested in knowing. 😁

I don't think that green board is Intel OEM - I think it's something that was added. It should look more like this if the bottom were de-lidded:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_MMX#medi … /File:P-MMX.JPG

Reply 10 of 46, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

I did, and it leads me to think that that CPU is on an adapter of some kind, like a couple other people here have said. Not entirely sure what it would be for, though. If anything, the CPU itself is probably fine.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 11 of 46, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I found two P200mmx cpus for cheaper anyhow so I'm still retracting my bid on this one for sure. 🤣

Reply 13 of 46, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh? Are there things like that to take into account? I was buying a P200mmx to upgrade my Packard Bell Platinum 55, I read that it could handle up to a 233mmx but they didn't mention anything having to do with converters. I didn't even know that was even a thing great now I'm worried it wont work. 😜

Reply 15 of 46, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really have no idea I assume so because it's a Pentium 133 right now but all the info on these old packard computers has vanished without a trace. Its like the mid 90's were the dark ages or something for that computer company. 🤣

Reply 16 of 46, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its probably close to the same board as my packard bell C110.
Even if its a diff form factor (tower) PB made their boards to fit their cases.

You can't stick P55c's in them without an voltage adapter, not till the later models.
You can still try of course, I've explored this root with my C110 🤣. All the info I was able to still gather on it lead to it not supporting dual voltage for the P55c.
P54c 200mhz is the limit for mine. So no intel mmx.

If it came with a P133 I don't think its a later models.

Packard Bell still sells computers in Europe.
They pretty much abandoned all their US stuff, and removed all info\bios updates for legacy machines on their site 🙁

Reply 17 of 46, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a 1996 Packard Bell Platinum 55. MMX came out in 95 didn't it?
Anyhow I'm going to try and figure that out now with CPU-Z.

Reply 18 of 46, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damnit! I was hoping it was a socket 7... Ok well apparently according to CPU-Z it's a socket 5. So I'm screwed... damnit.

It seems these adapters are fairly rare since I don't seem to see any on ebay. 😒

Reply 19 of 46, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They sold old stock for less money? Happened all the time.

If you like an adventure: Some guys did use a 2,8v (mmx) cpu in an older non-mmx board at 3,3v and it worked fine. Just slap on a good cpu koeler (socket A type).

With a good cooler 15% more voltage isn`t going to kill it. A lot of people were running mmx cpu`s overclocked also above 3volt.

Oh i see now, socket 5 it will not happen i guess...

Edit: After searching on google i found that socket 5 and 7 are pin compatible and some guys actually tried and ran a mmx cpu in a socket 5 board (at 3,3v). It just needs to be a 233mmx since the older boards don`t support the higher multipliers for mmx. With a 233mmx you can set the multi at 1.5x and the cpu remaps that to 3.5x. You can not use a slower mmx and you need a good cooler.

At your own risk ofcourse but it is nice info (i didn`t know it was possible, may even try it myself, just for fun)

I did know about the 1,5=3,5 multi because my dell board has a max multi of 3x. I have it at 1.5x and the cpu is running nicely at 233mhz.

Last edited by meljor on 2014-08-24, 19:43. Edited 2 times in total.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1