VOGONS

First post, by bysurferox11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone.

Sorry for the spelling. I'm using Google translator.

I have a Ibm Aptiva 2144-754 with a Cirrus Logic 5426 with 512 KB of video memory.

Some games ask me to have at least 1 MB of video so I would like to purchase a further 512 kb memory to bring it into the motherboard which has the expansion module.

What kind of memory would have to buy?

thank you very much.

Reply 3 of 7, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could probably move over some SOJ type Fast page 256Kx16 dram.
From an old soundcard, most of the time they get paired in two since one chip has a 16 bit path, and most chips use at least a 32bit path to the ram.
It is strange the the Cirrus uses only one 16bit chip, performance must be very low on such card with only 16bit data width.

Try to move some of those rams , to buy new one could be expensive, in that case we need to know the maker and type / model to match it up.
Although a match is not exactly needed.

Reply 4 of 7, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my case I had 2 un-populated Cirrus Logic 5429 ram sockets on my 486 board. With patience I sourced a CL PCI video card on eBay for under $10 that had unsoldered ram sockets that were filled. I transferred these chips to the mobo bringing it up to a max 2mb VRAM - very satisfactory for old 486 needs, and 1mb is probably enough for a lot of stuff as well.

Good Hunting!

Reply 7 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In case it's ever useful to anybody, I looked at my old CL-GD5426 video card with 1MB.

It has 2 of these RAM chips soldered:
MT4c16257DJ -7

These are 512KB capacity, 16-bit wide Micron Fast Page DRAM chips with 70ns access time. I don't know if they are in parallel on a 32-bit bus, or if they're at different addresses on a 16-bit bus.
"DJ" is the package type, which in this case is "Plastic SOJ 400 mil". "TG" would be "TSOP 400mil", and "Z" would be "Plastic ZIP 475 mil".

This is on a Reveal brand ISA card. Things might be different on other cards and boards though.