VOGONS

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since ASUS have a really crappy manual scan of this board on their website I thought I would copy Artex examples (ASUS VL/I-486SV2GX4 & ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G FULL manuals) and scan my copy.

p54sp4_front_manual.png

Enjoy (8MB):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57506833/ … Full-Manual.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/99b2sp17q0dstk6 … Full-Manual.pdf

Click for original image:
2014-05-18%2011.44.52_small.jpg

Also thanks to Dominus for helping me acquire the manual for this board.

Last edited by vetz on 2014-08-25, 18:06. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JaNoZ wrote:

Looking great, nice board also with 40mhz capable.
But why did everyone made holes in their manuals back then?? seems popular.

Because you'd keep them in your binder of computer documentation, of course 😀

Even my Micron Millennia XRU 266 (which I still have somewhere) came with spiral-bound documentation 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 11, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JaNoZ wrote:

Looking great, nice board also with 40mhz capable.
But why did everyone made holes in their manuals back then?? seems popular.

Heh, I've noticed this myself 🤣

This board is my favorite Socket 5 board. It has a wide array of BIOS options and you can downclock it to 25mhz! Fastest CPU is a Pentium 200 in a Powerleap adapter. This along with PS/2 mouse makes for a great pseudo alternative to a 486 system.

Reply 6 of 11, by mwenek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ya know, I like this. I was going through all of the motherboards and manuals I have kept around over the years. I appear to have 12 original manuals ranging from an old Asus 486 VLB Socket 3 to a current MSI Core 2 Duo board. Maybe someone (oh, I don't know, a senior member?) could make a stick topic on motherboard manuals we have available.

Win98SE Box: PIII 850, 128MB, 8 GB HDD, CL Live!, ATI 9600XT, 2x Diamond Voodoo 2 8MB
DOS Box: Intel 80 Mhz P24T Socket 3 OD, 16MB, 128MB CF Drive, Number 9 VLB, SiiG VLB IDE, SoundBlaster 16 ISA/WaveBlaster

Reply 7 of 11, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll make them available on vogonsdrivers.com 😀

Could you specify what model you got of that ASUS 486 board? ASUS 386 and 486 stuff are severely lacking you see 😀

Reply 8 of 11, by mwenek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry, it is a Shuttle HOT-419 VL-Bus board, Socket 3, literally can take all chips from the 486 and overdrive era.
I also have:
Asus TX97-LE Socket 7
Abit BH6, Slot 1
Abit BP6 Dual Socket 370
Asus P4B266, Socket 478
Asus CUBX-L/E, Socket 370
Asus A8V Deluxe, AMD Socket 939
Asus A8N-SLI, AMD Socket 939
Soltek SL-K8AV2-R/RL, AMD Socket 754
Asus M2NPV-VM, AMD Socket AM2
MSI P6N SLI, Intel LGA 775
Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L/C, Intel LGA 775

Last edited by mwenek on 2014-09-03, 21:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Win98SE Box: PIII 850, 128MB, 8 GB HDD, CL Live!, ATI 9600XT, 2x Diamond Voodoo 2 8MB
DOS Box: Intel 80 Mhz P24T Socket 3 OD, 16MB, 128MB CF Drive, Number 9 VLB, SiiG VLB IDE, SoundBlaster 16 ISA/WaveBlaster

Reply 9 of 11, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

This board is my favorite Socket 5 board. It has a wide array of BIOS options and you can downclock it to 25mhz!

Vetz, thanks for the scan. I have a couple quick questions:
How do you get to 25 MHz? Is that an undocumented jumper combination?
Also, since there is no multiplier choice, when you set a P90 or P100 at 40 MHz bus, will it give you 60 MHz?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 10 of 11, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
archsan wrote:
Vetz, thanks for the scan. I have a couple quick questions: How do you get to 25 MHz? Is that an undocumented jumper combination […]
Show full quote
vetz wrote:

This board is my favorite Socket 5 board. It has a wide array of BIOS options and you can downclock it to 25mhz!

Vetz, thanks for the scan. I have a couple quick questions:
How do you get to 25 MHz? Is that an undocumented jumper combination?
Also, since there is no multiplier choice, when you set a P90 or P100 at 40 MHz bus, will it give you 60 MHz?

Yes, 40mhz bus setting gives you 60mhz.

To get 25mhz just need to use some undocumented jumper settings:

Pentium 25mhz 1-2, 1-2, 1-2
Pentium 40mhz 1-2, 1-2, 2-3
Pentium 50mhz 2-3, 2-3, 2-3

With all the BIOS settings set to max and no cache or turbo settings modified you get the following speed spectrum just from multiplier&FSB settings (Pentium's above 100mhz runs in Powerleap adapter, but Overdrive CPUs will work as well):
Benchmarks_fastest-settings.png
Benchmarks are based on Phil's VGA benchmark (with 3DBench scores included).

If you start to modify cache, turbo and BIOS settings you can set the speed very precisely at the required level between a 386SX all the way to a quick Pentium.

Reply 11 of 11, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, thank you for the chart! The mention of "Pentium 25 MHz" makes me grin in a weird way. 😁

I love the idea of not having to fiddle with 386 and 486 boards and stuff just to have the correct speed for late 80s/early 90s games. Even P100 was perfectly fine until early 1996. Well, Syndicate Wars SVGA mode and 3D games would be better played on a much faster machine anyway.

This board seems to be a lot rarer though, compared to many 430FX and 430HX options (which officially give at least 75~200 MHz).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)