VOGONS

Gravis UltraSound Files Archive

Topic actions

First post, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been working on this personally for a few years. I've been scouring the ends of exec-pc telnet bbs, cd.textfiles.com, toogam and other sites for any and all gravis ultrasound related updates and patches. I think this may be the largest online collection of those files all in one spot. Anyways, here it is:

http://dk.toastednet.org/GUS

There a few files missing from the archive, namely the 1.21,2.06L zip updates, the REGISTERED version of the OS/2 Manley Drivers that came with the game patches/update (not quite sure what was contained in that special update). Speaking of which, the Manley drivers were released as freeware sometime in 1998/1999 (check archive.org) with a serial # for use by all but he stated he would not release the game patches/update for free out of respect for those who paid for registration.

The Utopia Sound Bank source code was finally retrieved, after tracking down Roel De Witt (unfortunately he lost the source) and Toogam had the source code archived from this project wanted permission from Roel De Witt to release it. SBOS is included, even MAXSBOS, and yes you can build these. There is an updated MAXSBOS that was never released publically that I compiled and put on there as well. No MegaEm code was included.

Reply 1 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

awesome work! thanks for sharing 😀 will grab some stuff 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will pm you, I may have some additions.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 29, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

I will pm you, I may have some additions.

Sounds good, thanks! You can also email me directly (email address is in the !MISSING.TXT file in the root dir of the archive). I also see you run your own FTP if you want to leech it all and mirror it feel free to.

Reply 4 of 29, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice work 😀

Would be great if you could make some sort of index file as well to describe what's the content of each file.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 29, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great job! Someone should tell Gona that his archive is looking a little outdated now 😀
http://gona.mactar.hu/GRAVIS/

Might want to ping these guys to sync up 😉
http://www.gravisultrasound.com/

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 29, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It'd be nice to include the special GUS version games that came bundled, like Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. Hunt down someone who still has their copy because those versions are not around online.

Reply 7 of 29, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NICE! You must have ready my mind.. Now that I have some 486's sitting around with SB16s, I've been thinking about dropping some GUS classics in one or more of these machines. I've seen a few posts on running this card side by side with a SB16, but are there any general recommendations or guidelines I should follow?

I'm running pure DOS 6.22 or 7.1, using non-PNP SB16's along with a single network card in these systems so nothing too complex from an IRQ/DMA perspective. I should note that I do have these SB16s paired with GM daughterboards since the cards are running DSP 4.05 across the board. Can I redirect MIDI to either the daughterboard or the GUS?

I'm really not too familiar with these Gravis cards as I skipped over them when growing up. I know they were huge in the DEMO scene and had great sound for the games that directly supported them, but other than what I've read on VOGONs and the general WIKI articles on the GF1, I don't have too much experience.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 8 of 29, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote:

It'd be nice to include the special GUS version games that came bundled, like Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. Hunt down someone who still has their copy because those versions are not around online.

Maybe Artex has this OEM version between his boxed cards?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 29, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To run it side-by-side is fairly simple... Here is my settings

UltraSnd = MIDI & GUS IRQ = 7 (both), Playback and Record DMA = 3 (both)
SB = IRQ = 5, DMA = 1

Set up your gus card then in your autoexec change the SET BLASTER (gus' setup will overwrite the value). You'll lose your Parallel port using IRQ 7, but this is the easiest way to set it up. You can use the same DMA for GUS and as long as you're not trying to use full-duplex recording it will be fine. GUS & MIDI IRQ can be the same. It might complain that SB emulation will be unavailable to you but it doesnt really matter since you're using a real SB anyways.

You can either plug the gus line out to line in of the SB, but you may get some noise since the SB16s mixer tendy to be on the noisier side. If you reverse it and go line out from SB to line in of the GUS I've noticed the GUS cards tend to add too much bass from the line in. The way I did it without having to require an external mixer was building a special cable out of a headphone cord and cd audio cable. Run the headphone jack to the line out of the SB to the CD-IN of the GUS. You can plug your CD audio into your SB and still have it all.

Reply 10 of 29, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Nice work 😀

Would be great if you could make some sort of index file as well to describe what's the content of each file.

I had a files.bbs/index file at one point on there but I haven't maintained that in a while. I still have the utility for reading the FILE_ID.DIZ and spitting it out to a files.bbs somewhere around here. I'll see if I can make a new one up for you.

Reply 11 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Artex
had the same questions as well: GUS Classic resources and SB emulation questions
I used these settings instead: UltraSnd = MIDI & GUS IRQ = 3 (both), Playback and Record DMA = 3 (both) , and it works perfectly fine with my SB16... I left IRQ7 free because I do have a Disney Sound Source 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 12 of 29, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3 is kind of uncommon to use, but hey if it works for you with no issues go for it. Beware of high DMAs with the GUS card. You can get sound corruption on various samples. Sometimes you can remedy this by adding 16-bit ISA delays if your BIOS supports this.

Reply 13 of 29, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

@Artex
had the same questions as well: GUS Classic resources and SB emulation questions
I used these settings instead: UltraSnd = MIDI & GUS IRQ = 3 (both), Playback and Record DMA = 3 (both) , and it works perfectly fine with my SB16... I left IRQ7 free because I do have a Disney Sound Source 😀

Awesome. Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes. 😀

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 15 of 29, by Cob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
awgamer wrote:

I have the long MIA special release GUS version of Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. I sent a PM to Maraakate but doesn't seem he checked/noticed his PMs.

Did this ever move forward? I'm sure many would be grateful to have access to the GUS version.

Reply 17 of 29, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maraakate wrote:

It was a complete rip of the game. I'd prefer an official patch if it can be sourced.

So that's why things never moved forward, misunderstanding. FYI, there was never a GUS patch, I suggested a patch could possibly be made by diffing the files with the non GUS version.

Reply 18 of 29, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So how did you make this release then? Is it based off a game engine that is used by another game that had GUS support files? I've never played this game; I know nothing about it or the origins of this GUS version.

Reply 19 of 29, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you produce me a diff to a stock install of the game and then provide me the diff and the patched version it may be possible for me to write a patch installer; but no guarantees on this.

I'd rather have some kind of patch in place as opposed to hosting a full rip install.