Gravis UltraSound Files Archive

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maraakate wrote:

So how did you make this release then? Is it based off a game engine that is used by another game that had GUS support files? I've never played this game; I know nothing about it or the origins of this GUS version.

It was a bundled game with the initial GUS for awhile, that's the only way it was ever released.

Reply 21 of 29, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maraakate wrote:

If you produce me a diff to a stock install of the game and then provide me the diff and the patched version it may be possible for me to write a patch installer; but no guarantees on this.

I'd rather have some kind of patch in place as opposed to hosting a full rip install.

You have a different definition of rip, it's the full game, a rip is a game with stuff taken out to save space. I'm not talking about modding files, you simply find out which files are gus specific and copy them over the standard install, overwriting as needed.

Reply 22 of 29, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I consider a rip in general to be a full install of the game directory. A true "archivable" piece would be some sort of image of the install media.

What was this on, a CD? I have original 2.05 install diskettes, and even a few extra original manuals and they only mention shareware demos for some music creation/recording software and for Mr Drumstix for Windows 3.

If you have earlier actual install diskettes I'd like to know about it because I'm missing some stuff and it appears everyone has tossed those disks long ago after Gravis sent out the update envelopes for those who requested it via their BBS (which I do have some of those envelopes!). From what I understand, the original version had multiple issues and many people complained long distance to their BBS.

Reply 23 of 29, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maraakate wrote:

I consider a rip in general to be a full install of the game directory. A true "archivable" piece would be some sort of image of the install media.

What was this on, a CD? I have original 2.05 install diskettes, and even a few extra original manuals and they only mention shareware demos for some music creation/recording software and for Mr Drumstix for Windows 3.

If you have earlier actual install diskettes I'd like to know about it because I'm missing some stuff and it appears everyone has tossed those disks long ago after Gravis sent out the update envelopes for those who requested it via their BBS (which I do have some of those envelopes!). From what I understand, the original version had multiple issues and many people complained long distance to their BBS.

CD? no, no, no, it was the floppy era, 3.5". I don't have my disk anymore either(I do still have some of the manuals,) but I never had or knew of a problem with CYAC GUS version, it always worked flawlessly for me. My brother and I played it constantly, one thing I liked to do was the external view flying from the runway along with being able to slow down/speed up the game, and the zoom, great practice for R/C flying, CYAC improved my R/C flying vastly compared to the real world flying(and crashing) I did.

Reply 24 of 29, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What version GUS did you own and how did you buy it? I heard that the really early revisions were mostly mail order only, but some stores carried them briefly. Was the game on it's own special disk or did it like generic like the rest of the gravis disks?

Reply 25 of 29, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks like the archive you sent me may be a copy of the actual install disk itself, which is good. If you can find me a floppy image of the non-gus one I can either construct some sort of binary patch or recreate a guessed floppy image until the real one turns up somewhere.

http://dk.toastednet.org/GUS/GAMES

Reply 26 of 29, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maraakate wrote:

What version GUS did you own and how did you buy it? I heard that the really early revisions were mostly mail order only, but some stores carried them briefly. Was the game on it's own special disk or did it like generic like the rest of the gravis disks?

3.7, best buy, had its own disk, as for generic I guess you're referring to the disk label, I think it was plain, I don't remember any graphic, and I believe it was mailed in. I remember getting more than a few disk updates through the mail.

Last edited by awgamer on 2015-09-17, 06:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 29, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3.7 is a very late revision. That's the version when they started including the ICS mixer on the board for volume control. I think the earliest card I own is a 2.2.

Reply 28 of 29, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maraakate wrote:

3.7 is a very late revision. That's the version when they started including the ICS mixer on the board for volume control. I think the earliest card I own is a 2.2.

Maybe mine is 3.4 then, it doesn't have the ICS mixer.

Reply 29 of 29, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny enough, I have just about every version of the GUS cards out there except the GUS Classics with the mixer. 😜 From reading the driver source code theres a bug in the hardware where the channels are flip-flopped on v3.7 and corrected in later revisions so theres some special-case hack for that particular situation. 😀