VOGONS

First post, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now, I have a 486 build. VLB-based Opti custom build. I forget the exact board model but I can check if you want! I seem to recall people here on VOGONS saying it was one of the best VLB board. It's also got a corresponding VLB I/O card with IDE, Floppy, serial, etc on it. I think it must've been made for this board. I've also got a Trident 9400. If I remember right it's a 9400. Also VLB. It's a pretty crap card, but it's actually faster than an ISA ET4000, and I know this from experience, so oh well. We all know it owes it all to the bus anyway...

Now, to be completely honest, I freaking hate working inside the case. The VLB cards are freaking long, almost the entire length of the case! What is this, an nvidia Titan? 🤣 The cards rub up against the IDE connectors in the hard drive, the case is completely stuffed, there's almost no room for anything! I seem to always injure myself working on the system. However, VLB gear is worth a lot of money! I could probably get over $100 just for the video card! I could either use that money or trade to get something like 386 or Pentium gear, something easier to work with!

Now, my system doesn't work right now, the power supply's gone. I plan to replace it with an ATX supply through a converter. What I'm wondering it, should I trade or sell the hardware? Or should I try to revive it? It's my childhood computer, and despite all the pain it (literally) gives me, it's also very nostalgic!

Reply 1 of 10, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why not just keep it if its your childhood computer? I regret losing track of my childhood computer. I know the specs, but I don't know where the original parts are or where we got it. If anything, just store it somewhere, i'm sure theres other things that have less sentimental value taking up space, right?

Reply 2 of 10, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is on a shelf, next to two other computers that don't currently work! It would be nice to have a working ISA system so I don't have to play DOS games with PCI emulation, is all! This technically isn't the first either. Briefly before this 486, I had this 386. I only remember it had a 40mhz CPU. One day I discovered the format command, but I didn't have the knowledge to reinstall DOS! So it was thrown out! 😢 And between these two there was this Pentium 3 that had a corrupted copy of Windows 98 on it. Of course, in both cases I could've fixed them knowing what I know now. Either way, I guess I'm still looking for consensus on whether I should convert this to a physically less painful system on try to restore it for ultimate nostalgic goodness.

Reply 3 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd keep the system. Although in these forums people seem to prefer using DOS software on Pentium II+ systems, I think it's better to experience the software on the hardware it was intended to run on. 486s are quirkey, but you can trust me that 386s are no better.

If you think VLB cards are big, you should see a full length AND full height AT card.

Spectrum24.jpg

This is a picture of the closest I have. It's full AT height, but not quite full length.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 10, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Believe me, my interest in 386s is purely because it would likely be pure ISA. At least AT cases are bigger than err... Baby AT cases. Makes sense, no?

Oh yeah, and I do generally prefer running games on newer systems when possible. However, I'd prefer it more if the newer systems I have had ISA.

Reply 5 of 10, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First of all MOST 486 systems are ISA. VLB and PCI are the exception.
Why would a 386 be any easier to work on? 486 and 386 and even early pentium all use AT cases.

I agree with AC. Keep it!

Reply 6 of 10, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Of curse the early 486 system were ISA only, but when 486 were finally more price friendly and people could actually buy one.. at that time VLB and later PCI were available. In my experience I have never got a hands on a ISA only 486 board. Even now I only had a VLB one that I sold. Now I have PCI ones only.

ISA bus died mostly with the end of P-III line in 2001/02 - but there are some rare exceptions. With P-II you could have a fully fledged ISA system (couse it has enough ISA slots).

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 7 of 10, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smeezekitty wrote:

Why would a 386 be any easier to work on? 486 and 386 and even early pentium all use AT cases.

Soldered CPUs and no fuss with voltage and multipliers and (hardly ever) cache to start with...

Reply 8 of 10, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Uhh... this is a Baby AT system. About the same size as my mATX Cooler Master Elite 343 tower for reference. There's a potential of it being easier due to not having super long cards right where the drive bays are. At the very least, with PCI or ISA, they could be in lower slots. There's also the potential I could find one with integrated I/O.

Reply 9 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First off I was going to say sell it off. You don't seem to enjoy working on the system and a later system will most likely be more practical.
THEN you said its your childhood computer. That changes everything! I doubt you will use it much but I bet you'll miss it once its gone. If you have the space what's the harm keeping it?

Reply 10 of 10, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it looks like so far the consensus is on keeping it. What can I say? It will hurt a little putting it back together so it works again, but I guess I get to indulge in nostalgia. Now to save up for suitable replacement parts!