VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello again,
I have an OEM Packard Bell Soundcard that I'm trying to get working, I can't seem to find too much info on this card and since there is no clear model number or anything to help identify it other than the presence of Aztech and Analog Devices chips and parts on the board.

So I was wondering from these pictures can someone help me identify this card and maybe get some drivers for it? I can't get any to work even if I use the Packard Master disk (although this is a master disk from another system).

The computer it came out of is a Packard Bell Platinum 55 from 1996. I've heard these cards actually have real FM synthesis from someone else on this forum and I've been wanting to get it working anyway.

Well here are the pictures:

1_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xkpot.jpg

3_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xkpog.jpg

2_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xkpol.jpg

5_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xkpnz.jpg

6_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xkppi.jpg

4_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xkpo8.jpg

7_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xkppe.jpg

8_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xkpp9.jpg

9_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xkpp3.jpg

If you want to me to take close up pictures of any other parts of the board just let me know, anything to help identify this thing.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 17, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

😒 PB cheated you. 😢
Thats not the one with the YMF-262 on it.
The drivers should be on the Master CD somewhere.
You have it correct? Its all numbered not labeled as what it is.
Atleast my cd is so you have to through each folder manually till you find it.

This the PB Aztech card with the YMF-262 on it.
Its Crystal based not Analog Devices \ Realtek.
PBAztechymf1_zps3cdafd6c.jpg

YMF chip
PBAztechymf2_zps31d88fe9.jpg

Reply 3 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately I have a master disk. To which system it goes I have no clue. 😒 Certainly not this one.

Ok well maybe I'll try and get one of those Galaxy cards off ebay or something if they are cheaper than the SB16 cards.

Reply 4 of 17, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Eh I wouldn't deal with the headache, thats why its not doing anything right now and sitting in storage.
Even with the drivers its a pain to get working the modem complicates things. Likes to keep taking the IRQ it shouldn't. Card is PNP.

There is actually a good thread going on what card to choose that... you started 🤣 .

Reply 6 of 17, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

I've heard these cards actually have real FM synthesis from someone else on this forum and I've been wanting to get it working anyway.]

You did not take closeups and it is very hard to see, but I believe the two chips next to the jumpers are labeled YAMAHA and other one should be YAC-513 DAC. It means the other chip is the OPL3-L chipset labeled YMF something. The small crystal near that chip should read 33.8688 MHz.

So it does have an OPL3, but it is not an OPL3 (YMF-262) but an OPL3-L. At least (in my opinion) this is better than having a non-YAMAHA OPL clone.

The main differences are:
OPL3 : Clock/sampling rate compatible/identical with OPL2, but non-standard about 49.716 kHz, so these should sound exactly the same. Data registers are write-only.

OPL3-L : Clock/sampling rate almost compatible, if this is anything like OPL4 is, then it "simulates" sampling rate of 49.516 kHz so notes are about 7 cents flat. Chip timers also run about 0.4% slower (they might be used for playing the music), and who knows how the envelope generator is handled. However, the rate it actually outputs samples is 44.1 kHz and over a relatively standard serial audio interface, so in theory you could have a sound card than can output FM music with SPDIF interface. Also data registers can be read back.

Reply 7 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Holy Toledo Batman! How in the world did you spot those? 🤣
You are right it has OPL synth indeed! Here I took a close up of those chips for you with the crystal right there too.
(and a stray hair it seems 🤣 forgive me it's 3AM here)
The one chip says YAMAHA YAC516-E 6F537N and the OPL chip says YAMAHA YMF289B-S OPL 537AD. The crystal seems to read M33.3FD.

10_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xnf80.jpg

Well awesome I have a card with OPL3 synth chips but unfortunately I have no idea how to get this card working. 😒

Reply 8 of 17, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

but unfortunately I have no idea how to get this card working. 😒

Have you got drivers for this thing? If not, look here for example:
ftp://ftp.aztech.com/support/DOWNLOAD/sg/
http://files.mpoli.fi/hardware/SOUND/AZTECH/

The most relevant chip is the "AZT2316" one, and this is the one you need the driver for.

Aztech Sound Galaxy: 3rd Generation using AZT-2316/A/R Chipset. Sound Galaxy Waverider 32+ Sound Galaxy Nova 16 Extra II-3D So […]
Show full quote

Aztech Sound Galaxy: 3rd Generation using AZT-2316/A/R Chipset.
Sound Galaxy Waverider 32+
Sound Galaxy Nova 16 Extra II-3D
Sound Galaxy Pro16II (2nd edition)
Sound Galaxy Waverider Pro 32-3D Card

Try Sound Galaxy Pro16II (2nd edition).

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 9 of 17, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes wow how did you see that Jepael 🤣.
Those are small indeed good eye.

These cards also have software wavetable, that I am only able to get the Packard bell branded drivers working in WIN95, but not 98 (they won't even install the wavetable functions anyway won't) and wow you seem to actually found the reference drivers for download.
The PB drivers are a REAL pain. I may actually have a use for my card now too!
Gonna try these later thanks Gerwin for the links.

Reply 11 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm nope, same problem as before. No audio. The card seems to have installed ok but windows insists that there are no available audio playback devices.
I'm guessing windows 98 does not play nice with this card.

It's weird though if I play Gateway I get OPL music but it's EXTREMELY quiet. I have to put the speakers to max just to hear it at an audible level.

Reply 12 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH! I just got it working!

Ok for combo cards like mine that use the Aztech 2316R chip just use these drivers! I now have this card working perfectly on windows 98 SE. 😁

Thank you Jeropi for pointing out that is was a 2316R chip, I might never have thought to google that otherwise.

UPDATE Well I thought I had it working. These are the right drivers but it would appear windows 98SE doesn't play well with them. Upon rebooting the system I get the error message "msgsrv32 - An error has occured in your program. Close or ignore" if I hit ignore it boots into windows with no sound, if I hit close it fails to open windows explorer and just sits on the desktop background with no thinking going on or anything. 😒

Reply 13 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Updated update, I installed Windows 95 thinking that was the issue but it turns out it was conflicting with the PCI networking card I had installed. I could kick myself for not checking that first but oh well, it works great now. The card is not the greatest sounding but it sounds pretty great when I'm playing Doom or Heretic. 🤣
It's also more compatible than the other PCI cards I was using in terms of games. Earth 2140 recognizes the card as a Sound Blaster and initializes perfectly, I also don't have that weird CD music problem I was having with the Live! cards. So for now I think I'm going to use this card.
When I play Midi files from windows they sound weak, but when I play DOS games that use the OPL chip the music sounds pretty good. What is the deal?

Reply 14 of 17, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the PB Aztech card with the YMF-262 on it.
Its Crystal based not Analog Devices \ Realtek.

Aren't the Analog Devices and Crystal audio chips almost totally the same? Even to the point where the same drivers can work on both chips? I have never owned a card with these ICs, but at least that is my impression.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 15 of 17, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, Chips called CS4231(A), CS4248, AD1845, AD1848 are all 16-bit codecs, like a DAC, and they are all pin-compatible.
Up until 1994 these provided the best approach to get quality 16-bit audio on soundcards.
You don't need a driver for these, there is always a controller chip nearby which does the bus interfacing.
(It is only on the original WSS card that this codec seems to lack a controller companion chip.)

@King_Corduroy: Who is Jeropi? 🤣 are you perhaps mixing up three different people?

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 17 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol Yes I think I did. I wrote that right after I got up so my brain wasn't working. 🤣
Yeah I think Analog Devices is realtech now.

I'm going to try use an upgrade disk to upgrade the system to 98SE hopefully it wont break the soundcards drivers.