VOGONS

First post, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hope someone can assist me.
Attached is a photo of a Voyetra V-22 MIDI interface card, with its MPU-401 compatible MIDI daughterboard on the right hand side.
The other two photo's shows what the MIDI interface cables looks like.

Filename
V-22 with daughterboard.jpg
File size
1.91 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
V-22 with daughterboard
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
Pic01.jpg
File size
261.24 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
V-22 MIDI cable - pic01
File license
Filename
Pic02.jpg
File size
177.92 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
V-22 MIDI cable - pic02
File license

I seem to be having problems getting this card to function properly and want to know whether I'm missing something in terms of jumper settings, etc.
If you refer to the picture of the card, I've circled in different colours certain sections of the card.

The sections in red is where the daughterboard fits. You'll notice a jumper that was fitted on each of the two rows of pins, which I had to remove in order to fit the daughterboard.
Do I need to fit these jumpers someplace else?

The section circled in orange. What is the purpose of these row of pins? Do I need to short some of the pins?
The section circled in blue. You'll notice in the picture (and this is how it was when I obtained the card) there are a number of pins (16 in total) with one jumper shorting the first two pins on the left hand side and two jumpers shorting the first 4 pins on the right hand side. Do I need to make any changes there? What's the purpose of these jumpers?

The sections in green are the jumper settings for the port address (default is 330h) and the IRQ (default is 2). I managed to obtain some information on what the correct jumper settings are.
The base port address jumpers are on the left hand side (circled in green) and the IRQ jumpers are at the bottom (also circled in green).

I seem to be having a problem with the card when I select an IRQ jumper setting of 2 (the default setting). It's the jumper that is shorted on the right side (as shown in the picture).
In both Windows 95 and "real" DOS it doesn't seem to "find" the card at that IRQ setting. In DOS, I've tried to load the VAPI22.COM driver but, it gives me some error that it can't find the hardware.
When I change the jumper setting to use an IRQ of 7, it does find the card.

Another problem I've experienced (under Windows) is that, with an IRQ setting of 7, I can play MIDI files from Port 2 but, I get no signal from Port 1.

If you refer to the two pictures of the MIDI cables, then I presume the RED ones are the MIDI Out Ports (they are numbered 1 & 2 respectively) and the BLUE ones are the MIDI in ports (they are numbered A & B respectively).

What I'm actually trying to achieve is to set the card up to function is an MPU-401 MIDI interface but, as I understand it, this will only work via Port 1.
Also, many legacy games requires the MIDI interface to be set at the default settings of base port 330h and IRQ2 (9).

What am I missing or, do I have a faulty card and/or MIDI cables?
Does someone perhaps still have a manual for this particular card?

Last edited by jesolo on 2015-12-18, 06:44. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 24, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have something similar but it's a Voyetra V24s. From what I can gather, this consists of a V22 ISA card + Roland MPU daughter board + SMPTE daughter board + large breakout box.

You seem to have the V22 ISA card + Roland MPU daughter board + different breakout cables.

The long rows of orange and blue pins look like connecters for the SMPTE daughter board for the V24s, and not for jumper settings. The long row of red pins look like the connectors for the Roland MPU daughter board, which you have.

The short rows of green and red pins look like the jumper settings for the ports and IRQs (rows at very bottom, also coloured green) as shown here:
http://support.turtlebeach.com/entry/370310919/

Hope this helps as my current V24s is locked up in a case at the moment...

EDIT: Typos.

EDIT 2: IIRC, some motherboards/ BIOS' don't seem to like the IRQ 2/9 redirect. I even tested this issue with a Roland MPU-IPC-T on these motherboards.

Last edited by j^aws on 2014-09-06, 19:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks.
Does answer some of my questions.
I actually also own a Roland MPU-IPC-T and have tested this card on the same motherboard on which I currently have my Roland MPU-IPC-T installed. I then tested it on another 486 motherboard and had the same problems.

Seems like this card is faulty (at least, with the IRQ 2 setting) and I think the MIDI Out (port 1) cable might also be faulty.
I think the MIDI daughterboard might still be fine but, I can't be sure.

Reply 3 of 24, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I first tested the V24s, I initially thought it had a faulty IRQ 2/9 setting, but I manged to get this IRQ 2/9 to work on another motherboard using the V24s. When I tested the MPU-IPC-T, it behaved exactly the same as the V24s regarding IRQ 2/9 - I put the blame on the motherboard/ BIOS instead of the V24s. So, I wouldn't be too hasty on blaming the V22.

Regarding the MIDI Out port cable issue, the V24s DOS drivers came with a utility to physically test cables/ ports - I think it was also compatible with the V22, but not sure. It was called MIDITEST.EXE or something similar - try this utility (you might need spare MIDI cables when following the onscreen instructions for the test).

Reply 4 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks.
I did try the MIDITEST.EXE. With IRQ 2 (9) setting, no luck. With IRQ 7 setting, it does initialise.
Unfortunately, no luck with the MIDI cables

Will try in another motherboard.

Reply 5 of 24, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Games that actually require IRQ 2/9 for Intelligent Mode MIDI are actually very few - around half a dozen or so:
https://github.com/bjt42/softmpu/wiki/Compati … gent-Mode-Games

It might help to get one of these games working with SoftMPU first using IRQ 2/9 parameters (using IRQ 9 in SoftMPU worked for me, but using IRQ 2 did not), then you'll know your MIDI chain is working. For SoftMPU, the IRQ would be provided by your soundcard (so set something else on your MPU temporarily), and the port would be provided by your MPU (330). You could use something like the Ecargxus demo, or one of the games in that list, and run it choosing IRQ 2 and port 330.

I found that motherboards that didn't recognise IRQ2/9 using the MPU-IPC-T, nor using the V24s, actually still worked with SoftMPU on IRQ 9. Strange...?

EDIT: Added clarification.

Reply 6 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, SoftMPU was the next thing I wanted to test.
What does the breakout box of your V24 look like? Do you perhaps have a picture of it?
Do you think the breakout box of a MPU-IPC-T would work with the V22/V24?

Reply 7 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I managed to resolve my IRQ2 (9) conflict on the MIDI interface.
Seems like the culprit was not my motherboard but, my sound card.
On this particular sound card (Aztech Labs Sound Galaxy - AZT1605 chipset) you can actually specify a separate IRQ for the MPU-401 UART MIDI interface.
Despite me disabling it in the configuration, it still caused a conflict.
A quick change to a different IRQ resolved my problem.

Unfortunately, I'm still not getting any output via MIDI OUT port 1.
I suspect I might have a faulty MIDI cable.
Now the trick is to try and find a suitable replacement that is compatible with this MIDI interface.

PS: Roland MPU-IPC-T won't work since it has a male connector and the Voyetra card requires a female connector.

Reply 8 of 24, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:

Yes, SoftMPU was the next thing I wanted to test.
What does the breakout box of your V24 look like? Do you perhaps have a picture of it?

Images seem to be lacking on the Internet - so here are a few more:

v24s_3.jpg
v24s_1.jpg
v24s_2.jpg
v24s_4.jpg

jesolo wrote:

Do you think the breakout box of a MPU-IPC-T would work with the V22/V24?

I've never tried, the pinout is probably different, so, unlikely to work...

jesolo wrote:
I managed to resolve my IRQ2 (9) conflict on the MIDI interface. Seems like the culprit was not my motherboard but, my sound car […]
Show full quote

I managed to resolve my IRQ2 (9) conflict on the MIDI interface.
Seems like the culprit was not my motherboard but, my sound card.
On this particular sound card (Aztech Labs Sound Galaxy - AZT1605 chipset) you can actually specify a separate IRQ for the MPU-401 UART MIDI interface.
Despite me disabling it in the configuration, it still caused a conflict.
A quick change to a different IRQ resolved my problem.

Great to hear! When I was testing for IRQ 2/9 issues like this, I did remove every card, and kept the bare minimum - just a VGA card. I've had some soundcards take up resources, even when they are not initialised, just like with yours. So, the motherboard/ BIOS seems fine for you?

jesolo wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm still not getting any output via MIDI OUT port 1.
I suspect I might have a faulty MIDI cable.
Now the trick is to try and find a suitable replacement that is compatible with this MIDI interface.

You can get 5 Pin Din MIDI adapters/ couplers, or similar ones to these and attach them to standard MIDI cables:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pin-Din-MIDI-Keyb … k-/190733956993

Just attach one of these to change the gender of your MIDI cables, and it wouldn't hurt to have spare cables for testing too...

EDIT: I'm not sure if you'd need the above adapters, but have you tried MIDITEST.EXE again to test the cables/ ports?

Reply 9 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is some breakout box.
After my last post, I decided to give it one more try.
I discovered that the connector on Midi out port 1 does have a bit of a lose connection. If I bend the cable a bit to the one side, then I have a connection.
Probably the age and use over the years has caused the inside of the connector be a bit worn out.

Thank you for your input. You definitely put me on the right track.

Reply 11 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suppose I could replace the worn connector but, I would have to cut the wire and attach (solder) a new one back on.
I'll see how it goes. If it really becomes worn out and doesn't want to make a connection anymore, then I'll replace it.
Should be able to find a replacement 5 pin DIN connector on eBay.
The trick is just to make sure that I'm connecting the wires correctly but, I'm sure I can find the colour codes and wiring diagrams on the internet.

Reply 12 of 24, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found this card on the flea market yesterday, the Voyetra V-22 with roland chipset.
Unfortunately i dont have any cables for it.

Does anybody know the pinout?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 13 of 24, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

great info here guys
im think my "Winman 4x4/s" only works in windows?
so i need to figure out a multi-channel midi interface that works in DOS..
preferably 32 channel or 64 channel (2 or 4 MIDI ports)
can anyone suggest one that i could find easily without hunting for weeks on ebay?

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 14 of 24, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The issue about DOS is that no hardware "works in DOS". Each program needs to communicate with the hardware directly, so you need to check what kind of hardware your MIDI software supports.

Or you can just assume everything works with MPU-401 UART interfaces and add multiple MIDI interfaces to your PC (as long as you have free ISA slots - why not?). Or just use sound cards. As long as you don't need the parallel port you can just get two SBPro-compatible cards with MPU-401 UART compatible interfaces and call it a day - set one to 220h (address), 7 (IRQ), 1 (DMA) and 330h (MPU address) and the other to 240h (address), 5 (IRQ), 3 (DMA) and 300h (MPU address). Or you can get someting like a Terratec EWS64XL, which is a SBPro/WSS compatible sound card with two MIDI interfaces. You'll need to track down one with the front panel, though, as its the only way to hook up two external MIDI devices at the same time.

Reply 16 of 24, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

anyone have one of these v24s interfaces for sale?
im looking for this interface to be able to use the program sequencer + gold by voyetra
for sequencing with my synths.

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=2368.0
here ive tried to document which interfaces are compatible with sequencer + gold (according to their own documentation which is from
1992.. )

re: the conflict spoken of above.. i read in the voyetra documentation last nite that they dont reccommend at all that u mix their voyetra midi interfaces with sound blaster or similar type cards that combine the audio + midi/joystick ports...
these interfaces are not really for people who want to play games.. they are for composers who are using real instruments tbh

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 17 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrisNova777 wrote:

re: the conflict spoken of above.. i read in the voyetra documentation last nite that they dont reccommend at all that u mix their voyetra midi interfaces with sound blaster or similar type cards that combine the audio + midi/joystick ports...
these interfaces are not really for people who want to play games.. they are for composers who are using real instruments tbh

This is not only confined to this MIDI interface. You will run into the same problems if you have a Roland MPU-401 MIDI interface in your PC and your sound card is also utilising the same IRQ for its MIDI interface.
The Roland MPU-401 MIDI interface (released back in 1984) also wasn't originally meant for people to connect their MIDI synthesizers to their computers in order to play games.
Game companies (like Sierra On-Line, Lucasarts, etc.) started to see the potential of these MIDI synthesizers (particularly the Roland MT-32) and wrote in game music to make use of these synthesizers.
Since Roland had already a released a MIDI interface that enabled people to connect their synthesizers to their PC's, it just became the de facto standard for the PC gaming industry back in the hey day of DOS.

Regarding your first question. I suggest you keep an eye out on Amibay or eBay. You can search for 'Voyetra MIDI' or just 'MPU-401'. Unfortunately, the Voyetra MIDI interfaces are extremely rare these days.
I just got lucky with mine. I saw the listing for just the V-22 on eBay. Around the same time, I managed to obtain the daughterboard (which has the Roland chipset onboard) from someone else who didn't have the V-22. Once I had the daughterboard, it gave me full MPU-401 compatibility.

Reply 18 of 24, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

can u not get full mpu-401 compatibility from any old sound blaster card??? correct me if im wrong but 1 midi port w/ 16 channels is plenty to run a single mt-32 or cm32l/cm300/cm500
im trying to get more than 16 channels out of a sequencer program for making music...
index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2368.0;attach=2782;image
as u can see in this chart here there are very limited choices for cards that are supported above 16 channels.
the v22 + v24 are the only ones basically as well as the MQX-32M... all the other options will only ever give me 1 midi port out..
which is still usable if i am to use the daisy chain method + only using synth modules that have the MIDI THRU port..

its just really frustrating to see people who arent even using voyetra software hoarding all of these simply because of "TRUE mpu-401" compatibility? to use some dinky GM/GS module to run a video game
why do u say u "got lucky"?? are u using voyetra sequencer+ ?

The Roland MPU-401 MIDI interface (released back in 1984) also wasn't originally meant for people to connect their MIDI synthesizers to their computers in order to play games.

thats right it was designed for musicians first + foremost, artistic + professional.. sierra was just the way that little kids (who are now adults) learneda bout midi because for most non-musicians that would have been how they were first exposed to it.. reading in their game manuals about the products + reading the definitions of what midi is etc (i was one of them at the time, playing kings quest 1 back in 1986 + 1987 thats all i thought about.. i first played kings quest on a monitor that was amber monochrome when i was about 8 years old i also got in huge amounts of trouble with my dad by calling the Sierra HELP LINE hotline to ask for help in playing the games 😁 🤣)

anyways.. my thoughts are.. if u dont need specifically a voyetra card.. why not sell it to someone who does need one ?? who wants to run sequencer + gold ??
the whole reason the card was created is specifically for that program!!!!!!!!! thats why most of the voyetra cards are not originally worried about being mpu-401 compatible because they could care less about adhering to another older or newer standard - they had their own thing going on.. and it was supported by a vast number of professional composers!!

anyways i dont know what u are doing with your hardware.. im assuming that you are a games enthusiast because 90% of people on this site seem to be.

if might help if u could explain to me what the benefit of using a voyetra v22 interface over using a standard everyday soundblaster card.. im trying hard to understand why u think that you got lucky by getting this card.. i guess u just mean because it is rare?? and u enjoy having it because u know that its hard to find ?? 😁 because beyond that, from what i can tell the only benefit it has over any other regular sound blaster mpu-401 compatible card is being able to be used by composers with the sequencer app written by the same company!! (which was part of their business model to survive... much as emagic + digidesign also tried this model.. software is not enuff to keep a company afloat on its own it must have a hardware+software combined solution)

Attachments

• voyetra_chart.png
    Filename
    voyetra_chart.png
    File size
    538.68 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 19 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, you are correct that I'm a game enthusiast.
I got lucky because, I was looking for an intelligent mode MPU-401 MIDI interface and, in conjunction with the daughterboard, I got what I was looking for.
I know this is not what you want to hear but, the prices of Roland MPU-401 MIDI interfaces (and their clones) have gone up quite significantly and they are also becoming quite scarce.

Most sound cards from that era only had a "dumb" (UART) mode MIDI interface, which made it unsuitable for some earlier games that supported the Roland MT-32 and required an intelligent mode MIDI interface.