VOGONS

First post, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Up until now I've been using a program GuiFormat to format drives larger than 30GBs with the FAT32 File System. Sometimes this can be tedious since it has to be done within a Windows environment. I'm looking for a method such as a bootable CD to be able to quickly format the drive to FAT32. This is particularly useful if the PC in question has only 1 hard drive which is difficult to remove.

Does anyone know of any methods I could use?

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 2 of 6, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great, Thanks, I'll give the FreeDOS bootable CD a try.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 4 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^^ I have made myself a automated W98SE installation CD using an answer file: http://youtu.be/4YgtLD43hOs

The CD is bootable with a W98SE custom bootdisk from bootdisk.com. I use it to fdisk and format the drive.

Alternatives are, FreeDOS (already mentioned) and Super Fdisk. That one has a GUI so it won't run on very old machines. FreeDOS is a bit confusing, you need to select install to hard drive option and then get a prompt for fdisk. I haven't used this method a lot but I have no doubts that it works well 😀

Another thing you can do work with disc images. I work on a lot of projects in my lab and a read-to-go disc image with MS-DOS, drivers, benchmarks and whatnot saves a ton of time. The size of the drive doesn't matter, it adjusts it as it needs to. I use an external USB hard drive docking station for quick imaging.

If you want to dig deeper, fdisk has hidden commands and even supports processing a script file. Together with other utilities that wipe all partitions you can build something that boots and auto-creates a partition. Lots of things you can do 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 6, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I often just use the 98\ME CD\Floppy, + a floppy with Freedos's FDISK\Format utility's copied on to it or I add them to a 98\ME floppy with them.

If I don't use that, I use bootable GParted linux distro, Or Puppy Linux which also has Gparted on it, but is even lighter with resource reqs, and will let you partition USB devices if you need to for some reason.

Reply 6 of 6, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.masterbooter.com/download/addition … ilities_en.html

Click on "bootable floppy" link. It has everything you want (CD_ROM and mouse drivers, FreeDOS FORMAT and SYS utilities, a nice and simple partitioning program, and of course a shareware but fully functioning multi boot software).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000