VOGONS

First post, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the Gameport version of the Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro. Not the USB version. I have looked everywhere for my original floppy but cant find it anywhere.

I'm only able to find version 3.02 available for download but I require the original floppy version not the newer 3.02 driver. I believe it may be version 2.0 or similar...

Is anyone able to upload the original floppy disk please?

110607_01.jpg

Reply 1 of 14, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the version 2.0 CD. Would that be any good? I also have the Intellipoint 3.2 CD if that's of use to anyone.

Are there any legal issues with putting this old MS stuff online?

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 2 of 14, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, no legal issues at all. Drivers are free to distribute here at Vogons.

Question; I thought all the Sidewinder 3D Pro drivers were distributed via floppys. Did your CD come with the Sidewinder 3D Pro or a later Sidewinder joystick?

Either way, I'd greatly appreciate the upload 😀

Reply 3 of 14, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just located my original floppy disk! 😁

Filename
Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro (Gameport).rar
File size
1.04 MiB
Downloads
350 downloads
File comment
Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro Original Disk
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I'm not 100% sure which version it is though as the readme file doesn't state anything regarding a version. I believe it may be the first version being 1.0.

If you could still upload version 2.0 though, that would be great!

Reply 4 of 14, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the identical same joystick as you, and I never got any floppies with it. However it was bundled together with a computer so perhaps this was an OEM disk. It doesn't have the Microsoft logo on it. I'll reinstall Alcohol and upload it.

Edit: Your files are dated 1995 but mine are 1997. You must have version 1.0 in that case?

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 5 of 14, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
2fort5r wrote:

I have the identical same joystick as you, and I never got any floppies with it. However it was bundled together with a computer so perhaps this was an OEM disk. It doesn't have the Microsoft logo on it. I'll reinstall Alcohol and upload it.

Edit: Your files are dated 1995 but mine are 1997. You must have version 1.0 in that case?

Yeah they must be if yours are from 1997. I'll wait for your upload and then upload versions 1 and 2 to Vogons Drivers so everyone has access to them.

Version 3.02 is already available for download but I believe those drivers might have some issues with the original gameport version 3D Pro as they were released for the Precision Pro USB version. There's also the latest 5.0.2164 version but this is another driver I cant find anywhere as all links divert back to the Microsoft website. Thanks for your help mate.

Reply 7 of 14, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome! Thanks for that 😀

Checked out the ISO and it appears to also contain DirectX and Sound Blaster drivers ranging from SB16 through to AWE64. Will test the drivers out soon and see if I can remove the DirectX and SB files only leaving the Sidewinder drivers. That way people can just download the Sidewinder drivers without having to download the rest.

Now if anyone has the 5.0.2164 drivers available, please feel free to contribute. I've been working on a drivers compilation which I want to one day soon upload to Vogons drivers so its a one stop shop for everyone as currently there are many drivers missing. Always a pain going from website to website trying to find drivers.

Reply 9 of 14, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're in luck! I just scored a NIB SW3DPro at Goodwill.

Here's a scan of the v1.0 floppy disk:

DiskLabel-ITTS011__01.jpg
Filename
DiskLabel-ITTS011__01.jpg
File size
81.67 KiB
Views
File comment
This is my own photo that I took myself. I consider it to be Public Domain.
File license
Public domain

I zipped up the floppy and you can grab it here:

Filename
ITTS011__01.7z
File size
515.51 KiB
Downloads
13 downloads
File comment
SW3DPro Software
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The label of the diskette was: ITTS011__0

Why do you want the old version of this software? I remember it being quite flaky.

Could somebody please be so kind as to save this to the VOGONS Driver Library?

Thanks! Enjoy! 😀

Edit:
EdmondDantes mentioned this thread while we were discussing joysticks in this other thread. You'll want to download this file if you're having trouble getting the SW3DPro working. Read the instructions carefully. Thanks to akula65, I've been able to get my SW3DPro working with v3.02 of the drivers on my Coppermine 1000 and my Athlon 1400 systems.

Last edited by KT7AGuy on 2023-12-03, 16:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 14, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have that joystick too, got it from a former PC Powerplay journo. Pretty sure it's not USB. Will check the software version (CD) when I visit the parents next (my auxiliary storeroom)

Reply 13 of 14, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I've got many fond memories myself. Mainly playing Mechwarrior 2. Used to love being able to turn my torso, fire missiles and increase/decrease throttle all at the same time with ease using the Sidewinder 3D Pro.

Reply 14 of 14, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The original SideWinder 3D Pro was never USB. That's why the 3DP-Vert USB adapter was made to begin with.

The later "3D Pro Plus"/Precision Pro is where things get a bit confusing, mainly because the earlier variants were also gameport-only while lacking the analog emulation modes of the prior 3D Pro entirely. The later variants added a native USB interface internally and have a few extra pins on its gameport connector to represent that; naturally, its USB adapter cable just connects to the pins in question and lacks any active circuitry of its own.

As for the 3D Pro itself, it was the stick I did most of my late 1990s gaming with, so there's a bit of a nostalgia element involved.

I didn't have a whole lot of respect for it back then because I had lusted over the HOTAS setups I saw on store shelves and noted how many things I couldn't bind to the 3D Pro due to lack of buttons, but nowadays, I have a bit more respect for its optical sensor system (no more spiky potentiometers!) and the fact that it can emulate the TM FCS and CH Flightstick Pro to begin with, making it compatible with a lot of those early DOS-era sims.

I just wish I could actually get the bloody thing to work in digital mode on my P4 box. All those alternate timing drivers I tried didn't seem to help one bit, it's still coming up as "Not Connected".