VOGONS

First post, by RAMChYLD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have an Asus P3B-F with two ISA slots. I decided to get a GUS card, and seat it next to my beloved AWE64 recently. The board allows me to move one of the serial ports to IRQ10 from either IRQ3 or 4 and I thought I could use it such that my IRQ7 can be left as-is with the parallel port (which I'm planning to dust off my ZIP drive for). However the Iwavecfg program does not allow me to set the card's IRQ to 3.

Is there any way I can force the card to IRQ3? Or am I stuck and there is no other way but to turn off the parallel port?

Also, I'm having issues getting both cards to co-exist in Windows 3.1. Since installing the GUS the Creative Mixer in Windows appear to have become broken and can't be used to adjust the volume controls of the AWE64. Aside from that both cards coexist in DOS fine.

HEC Desktop case with 600w Silverstone PSU
Intel 440BX chipset motherboard, 2xISA slot
PIII 550MHz Slot-1
256MB PC-100 SDRAM (4x64MB)
SiS 6326 4MB graphics card
Gravis Ultrasound PnP [8MB] + Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Value

Reply 2 of 2, by RAMChYLD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjt wrote:

No need to disable the parallel port. Just don't try to run the zip drive at the same time as playing sound, shouldn't be a problem for DOS.

Sounds good. And the fact that the Gravis is the lesser card should work out. Thanks for the feedback.

On the other hand tho, is there any major issues if I let my GUS have an IRQ greater than 7 (say, IRQ9) instead? I noticed that the computer has no qualms about reallocating IRQ3 or 4 to my ethernet card if I turn off either of the serial ports, which I don't think I'll ever need to use.

HEC Desktop case with 600w Silverstone PSU
Intel 440BX chipset motherboard, 2xISA slot
PIII 550MHz Slot-1
256MB PC-100 SDRAM (4x64MB)
SiS 6326 4MB graphics card
Gravis Ultrasound PnP [8MB] + Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Value