VOGONS

First post, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, currently I am using a Voodoo3 3000-AGP in my main System.
The card get's very hot and the small AT-Case has no Option of getting the Card in an airflow.

What are my oppertinities of mountig an FAN on the passive-cooling ?

Example-Pics would be very nice.

Thx!
Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 1 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've used those tie-ribs (small metal wires covered in plastic) before to mount fans on stock heatsinks of AGP Geforce 6 cards before, though those cards have much larger heatsinks. It's worked perfectly for as long as I used that computer regularly.
I'm not a fan of using glue though others on Vogons have found that to be a good solution. I don't like it since it's sorta permanent 😜
One thing you could try is to mount a (small) CPU HS cooling fan on the Voodoo's HS using screws (though that leaves traces and scratches on the Voodoo's heatsink) though I've personally never done that on a Voodoo.

Some AT cases have the option of putting a fan behind the front bezel so it gives 'some' cooling to the expansion cards, though I'll assume yours doesn't have that option.

Btw, those Voodoo 3's always tend to get quite hot so that's not that abnormal.

Whats the rest of your system btw?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 9, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd mount a fan on the stock heatsink, if you have the space for it. Simple and effective.

I'm guessing screws don't fit on a 3000 because the fins are too far apart. Two options:
- Hot glue. Not pretty, but easy enough to get off should the need arise.
- Drill small holes in the heatsink and use zip-ties.

You're from Germany, right? pollin.de has cheap 40 and 50mm fans.

Reply 3 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Addition: You can see a picture of how I mounted a case fan using tie ribs on a Geforce 6800 in this post (scroll down a bit to see a thumb of the pic)
New rigs! (first ones of a bunch)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The heat-sink as such is pretty decent, but the lack of airflow is the real issue. I just put a 120 mm fan next to it and that takes care of business. The back doesn't have to be cooled when the front gets airflow, at least this is my experience.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 9, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I should mount a fan nearby the V3, but how can this be done. Any ideas what material should be used to mount the Fan on it and to place it nearby ?
Perhaps I should get a PCI-Fan-Card and mount the PS/2 Mouseport on it?

Attachments

• Filename
    P1070740.JPG
    File size
    4.1 MiB
    Downloads
    1 download
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 7 of 9, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is what I did, I had a spare Zalman PCI Mounting bracket (Was meant for their Flower cooler)

2zoyc05.jpg

ws3e5u.jpg

This is cooling a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI with the even smaller heatsink. I can't touch the heatsink for a second without burning myself without it. Attached is a 92mm which is running at 7v.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**