VOGONS

First post, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all! Just went to the local "dump" and found a couple neat old items. 1st, an old IBM ThinkPad 365XD. they had a few but this was the best one condition wise. Also has an optical drive. Has a win 95 sticker on back. It looks like its missing the battery and HDD but i can get those easy. then i got a packard bell CRT monitor, an iomega zip drive, an external fdd for the ibm, a modem, and a compaq keyboard! T'was a good day! Any idea on what kind of ac adapter the laptop uses? Thanks. I'll post pics when i get home!

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 1 of 4, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ahendricks18 wrote:

Any idea on what kind of ac adapter the laptop uses?

"you can find the required power information on a label on the bottom of your ThinkPad"
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Power_Connector

IIRC the original is a fairly heavy slab. Definitely not wall-wart territory.

I had the 486 version of that Thinkpad.

The other memory that is coming back is that when I did get the thing plugged in (ten years ago now?) the old battery pack got alarmingly hot. Then it kept cooking, for the next several hours after I had unplugged it and set it outside away from the house. It was a very uneasy day, and a bit of a sleepless night.

So YMMV, but after that I have very little interest in experimenting with old, out of date battery packs. Houses cost too much. The Thinkpad will however operate just fine without the battery installed, so feel free to take the thing to your local recycler while you look for the AC power supply.

Reply 2 of 4, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice! I found a very similar model ThinkPad at my local dump a couple years ago, a 365X. Basically the same thing except no internal optical drive. Also, if yours has a TFT screen, it wouldn't be a bad little system for old games.

Here's the specs:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:365XD

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 3 of 4, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the replies! I plugged it in with a hp laptop charger from my other laptop and it worked, but no display, and the indicator lights illuminate. Maybe I have to use an OEM charger, because the hp was not the same. Also I plugged it into a monitor and still it has no display but the monitor (the packard bell) works fine on other pc's.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 4 of 4, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can find chargers for Thinkpads on amazon (both generic and oem) for almost as cheap as a live chicken. I would go back for the other Thinkpads if I were you just to use as parts.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.