VOGONS

Reply 40 of 41, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
On a Mystiquey Matrox (and similar G100) those dithered blendings can REALLY stand out on the screen http://leileilol.mancubus.n […]
Show full quote

On a Mystiquey Matrox (and similar G100) those dithered blendings can REALLY stand out on the screen
midtown.jpg

Yikes! That looks horrible. Some video cards are obviously for collection only. I couldn't see myself playing games for any length of time that looked that bad. I have a Mystique 220 myself and the only reason I got it was A) It was really cheap and B) It had a memory expansion installed on it that you don't find on every 220 out there. I think the whole thing was $9 shipped and I just couldn't let it pass at that price since the memory expansion alone is rare enough to be worth more than that.

Reply 41 of 41, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

The Voodoo3 is more than good enough for both 2D and 3D games. Spare yourself the hassle with going with 2 graphic cards! Also take it with a grain of salt to people saying you should have a Voodoo2 with that CPU. I never understood the "you can't run newer video cards because the CPU is too slow" argument here on Vogons (unless you're building a system for a specific year or have a cutoff year). It will be a bit more timeperiod correct to use a Voodoo2, but Voodoo3 have better performance compared to a single Voodoo2 and much better signal output and image quality. If Win9x is your target, then Voodoo3 will be a very good choice.

too add to that some older cards and render some things in older games that some of the newer cards can't but, that falls in line with the period correct bit like you said.