VOGONS

First post, by Ragh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the past I've had a problem getting my AWE 64 to output sound when used in conjunction with a MPU card. That issue was solved by changing the SB's 330 port to 300. (See AWE 64 no sound with mpu-401 isa card in DOS).

Now, I've purchased an IBM PC 330 433sx (486sx 33 processor, 3x isa slots, etc.), similar to this one: http://mastodonpc.tripod.com/personal/6571-l3b.html to which I have transplanted the aforementioned ISA cards. I am having similar issues where the AWE doesn't want to output any sound and MIDI via the MPU card works as expected. I have tried to setup the sound blaster card to the same settings as in my previous PC, but to no avail.

The CTCU utility reports that there is a conflict when selecting DMA 1 (DMA 1 conflicts with System Device settings). I can select wither DMA 0 or 3. I can't possibly find out which device is using DMA 1. I can't find anything in the BIOS config and I've been fiddling with motherboard jumpers by looking at a schematic label attached to the inside of the computer case. The only jumper setting mentioned in that schematic is "DMA CH1 ECP", but it doesn't do anything to free DMA 1 afaik.

Any one here with an IBM PC 330 or similar having successfully setup this?

Reply 4 of 13, by Ragh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, the same problem happens if I either disable the LPT altogether or set it to "Standard mode" instead of "Extended mode".

I am using a MPU 401 ISA MIF IPC clone card (the one selling cheap on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MPU-401-INTELLIGENT-I … =item3ceabb3ee5).

Perhaps another thing to note is that I still can't get any sound (in games) out of my SB card, no matter what IRQ/DMA settings I choose.

Reply 5 of 13, by Ragh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Filename
IMG_0010.jpg
File size
779.54 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I've attached the schematic label found on the machine in case it helps. Does anyone know where can I find the manual for this PC?

Reply 8 of 13, by paulisthebest3uk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is quite an old thread but did you ever sort this out? I have the same system and on mine, DMA channel 1 is also unavailable. I really need DMA 1 freed up so I can play on old games with full sound support such as Dyna Blaster...

Reply 9 of 13, by Ragh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Only seeing your post now, paulisthebest3uk and I haven't figured out the issue. I have since installed the AWE in another machine. I am waiting for a SB16 to arrive and will test the configuration with it once it arrives. Will report here.

Reply 10 of 13, by Ragh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Resurrecting an old thread, reporting finds from memory. Got a SB16 installed, the creative diagnose utility reports everything is ok, sound samples work fine. No game has any sound though.

Reply 11 of 13, by InbetweenDays

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the update. I've just been having the same issue. Win95 reports that the floppy drive controller is using DMA 1, not 2 as it should (and the setting cannot be changed). Device manager reports DMA 2 as being "in use by unknown device".
I wondered if it might be a Win95 issue, but CTCU running under DOS 6.22 also reported DMA 1 as being in use.
Interestingly though, the IBM diagnostics disk correctly reported DMA 1 as being free and DMA 2 being in use by the floppy controller.
(Diags disk: lkgt35a.exe found here)
Reserving DMA 1 in the BIOS doesn't help. I also tried updating the BIOS with no success (lejt67a.exe, same location)

So in the end I went back to a non PnP soundcard... jumpered with the usual settings (220/5/1/5). Everything works in DOS and Win95, even though device manager does report a conflict when you view the resource settings.

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got 5-pin DIN.
Roland addict and founding member of the Association Of Molex Haters

Reply 12 of 13, by paulisthebest3uk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh this thread is active again? Thats cool, yep it does seem DMA1 is handling the floppy controller, why that is i have no idea, at first i thought it was a bad motherboard in my machine, but as other people are having the same issue. The AWE32 ive been trying to use just doesnt work propelery which is annoying as its a really nice 486 machine

Reply 13 of 13, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We have the PC 330 6571 board listed here:
https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/2944

If any of you could provide us with a clearer picture or at least chipset info that would be nice.