VOGONS

First post, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The oldest disk I have is a 30 GB PATA disk. In short, how do I use this disk on an old 486?

The disk is not detected by the BIOS. The BIOS has the standard "IDE HDD AUTO DETECTION" feature. This fails to detect the disk. I have the disk set to master with the jumper in the correct position, and connected to the correct end (the "middle") of the cable.

I could manually enter a CHS configuration, however the disk has only printed an LBA number on it.

Reply 2 of 10, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually no. The disk gets detected by FreeDOS as 503 MB, and whenever I try to partition it, it seems to succeed but after rebooting (which FreeDOS demands) the disk is again unpartitioned. I know the disk is good, I've recently used it in a different computer. I remember similar issues like this from the past, but I have forgotten how to deal with them.

Reply 3 of 10, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I can understand, your 486's BIOS is rather old and cannot support LBA translation, so it has a limit of 504 MB maximum allowable HDD size. I suggest you to find a copy of Ontrack Disk Manager and try to install your HDD using that utility.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 4 of 10, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tayyare wrote:

As far as I can understand, your 486's BIOS is rather old and cannot support LBA translation, so it has a limit of 504 MB maximum allowable HDD size. I suggest you to find a copy of Ontrack Disk Manager and try to install your HDD using that utility.

Actually the BIOS supports "LBA", "NORMAL" and "LARGE".

However regardless of what I select, FreeDOS gives the error "Error reading MBR!" and offers me to repartition the disk. I select yes, it works for a long time and it seems to succeed, then it needs to reboot to proceed, I accept and end up with the same "Error reading MBR!" message.

I've also noticed that the HDD activity LED keeps being lit, even when the disk should not be working.

I have the "cap limit" jumper set on the disk. What should I select from "LBA", "NORMAL" and "LARGE"?

Reply 5 of 10, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends on the BIOS - LBA is the most standardized form of translation, but was defective in some early BIOSes. LARGE is a CHS translation that can vary between systems.

I'd try LBA, if there are still problems, try LARGE.

Reply 6 of 10, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fractal5 wrote:
Actually the BIOS supports "LBA", "NORMAL" and "LARGE". […]
Show full quote
tayyare wrote:

Actually the BIOS supports "LBA", "NORMAL" and "LARGE".

However regardless of what I select, FreeDOS gives the error "Error reading MBR!" and offers me to repartition the disk. I select yes, it works for a long time and it seems to succeed, then it needs to reboot to proceed, I accept and end up with the same "Error reading MBR!" message.

I've also noticed that the HDD activity LED keeps being lit, even when the disk should not be working.

I have the "cap limit" jumper set on the disk. What should I select from "LBA", "NORMAL" and "LARGE"?

My 486 MB (a rather modern one from FIC - with PCI slots, 72 pin SIMMs, PS/2 socket and such) had LBA translation but was still unable to see anything larger than 8GB. Might your problem be similar? You mentioned a cap limiter jumper but to which size it is limiting the HDD?

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 7 of 10, by Aqua

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I own late 486 PCI Boards.
Now a other Way is built in a Vadem ISA-Pcmcia Controller Card and insert e.g. a modern Sandisk 64GB Compact Flash Card, running as 'Standard IDE/ESDI Harddisk.'

Works with Windows 98 SE, Windows NT 4.0, Fat32 for Nt4 Driver.
If you want to use the CF in Dos 6.x too with any Cardmanager, repartitionize the CF in 1x 2 GB FAT16, Rest in FAT32

Am5x86 PCI 3dfx Voodoo1.
AMD K6-2 500 3dfx Voodoo2 SLI.
Toshiba P200MMX PC Card Wonder.
Dell Optiplex Small PC Intel Core Duo.
Dell Vostro 1000 AMD64 X2 LD-52.

Reply 8 of 10, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a 20Gb HDD as 2gbyte.

Just specify manual CHS.. if not autodetected.

for 2gb for example: 4096, 16, 63 😳
Or 512Mb: 1024,16,63 etc.

You may want check if your disk has a capacity limit switch..
There also modern disk with such features..

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 9 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or 1023, 15, 63.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Or, go the XT-IDE BIOS on a NIC (LAN card) route.
That way, you can utilise the full capacity of the hard drive (taking into account DOS partitioning limitations).