VOGONS

Modern mouse on 486

Topic actions

First post, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need to use a modern mouse on my 486. This is a USB mouse. My 486 has no PS/2 ports.

I can successfully use this mouse with a USB to PS/2 adapter on a different computer which does support PS/2, but alas my 486 does not.

Therefore I tried with an adapter from USB to PS/2 and then an adapter from PS/2 to serial.

However this does not work (in fact it works so poorly that the computer beeps continuously when it POSTS, as if you were holding several keys on the keyboard at once).

I believe the reason this does not work is that in order to use a PS/2 mouse (keep in mind the conversion step from USB to PS/2 appears to work fine, since I can use it on a PS/2 port on a different PC) on a serial port, the mouse must be a so-called "combo mouse", i.e. it must support both the PS/2 and serial protocol.

For this reason I believe I need a USB to PS/2 adapter which does not only convert to PS/2, but also supports the serial protocol, so that the PS/2 to serial adapter can work. In other words I need a somewhat "intelligent" USB to PS/2 adapter. Either that, or I need an intelligent PS/2 to serial adapter (which can translate between the protocols and not simply cross the wires and add resistors, which is what most such adapters do).

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it? What are the names of candidates that might work?

Edit: Third possible solution: Does there exist any mice which supports USB, PS/2 _and_ serial (obviously you still need physical adapters, but in that case "dumb" adapters would probably suffice)?

Reply 2 of 20, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

Why do you need to use a USB mouse?

Does your 486 happen to have PCI?

Because I'm using my 486 on a KVM switch, which is shared with a modern computer. I don't have the room to have a separate desk for my old retro computer, and I really don't want to use two physical mice on the same desk.

It does not have PCI.

Reply 3 of 20, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a common problem. Lots of threads here on Vogons. No one has been able to come up with a cheap and good solution.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 20, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen this device suggested here in the forums before. Not cheap, and someone suggested it doesn't have the best tracking in the world, but it is the only thing I can think of.
Alas if you are really desperate and good at programming you could get something like a PIC24 and make an active adapter yourself... but this isn't exactly trivial

Reply 5 of 20, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How about simply obtaining a mouse that is a real (and modern) PS/2 combo mouse? The mouse could be used with an active PS/2 to USB adapter on a modern computer, and normal (dumb) PS/2 to serial converter on the old computer.

Reply 6 of 20, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PS/2 to USB adapters are highly unreliable from my experience. 😉

I wonder if you could do something with a microcontroller like an Arduino or a Raspberry Pi that accepts a USB mouse and spits out a serial connection through the GPIO pins.

Reply 7 of 20, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is also this (Raritan Computer APSSM):

ou44yu.jpg

I bought it about 2 years ago from Amazon as used. I certainly works, but the cursor speed is sickeningly slow, so it practically useless when it comes to games and such. My active retro rigs which are connected to the KVM setup has all PS/2 mouse capability, but I still use an additional serial mouse whenever I want to play with my 386s, instead of this gadget (my 486 was also PS/2 capable before its death a year ago).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 8 of 20, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions. Slow latency or other issues that affect gaming are simply not acceptable.

How about a PS/2 interface ISA expansion card? Does that exist? What are they called?

If it does exist, I could just use that to add PS/2 ports to my 486 and the problem would be solved.

Reply 9 of 20, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How about a PS/2 interface ISA expansion card?

Lots of people have looked but it appears not to exist.

I have heard of a mod that lets you connect a PS/2 mouse through the keyboard controller but I don't know anything about it.

Here is an ISA USB card: http://www.simtec.co.uk/products/EB1161ISA/gallery.html

But it appears to be unobtainium

Reply 10 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An ISA usb card would also need a usb stack/driver that would suck both memory and cpu time. Not a good solution.
I also have the Raritan , it seems OK in low resolutions like 320x200 games , the lag becomes more apparent in higher windows resolutions.

Let's not forget that sklawz created a serial->ps2 mouse adapter as well: PS/2 to Serial Mouse protocol converter
I never came to build it though, so I can't personally comment on it's efficiency. I don't see it having problems though, especially in DOS.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 20, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We have a cheap solution for boards based on Award BIOS, but at present it requires quite a bit of skill to get it working. User "feipoa" figured out a way to hack the keyboard controller and BIOS, but his solution requires modification to the motherboard. I adapted this to an adapter that fits under the keyboard controller, but it's still a little rough around the edges. I am planning to build a second prototype in the near future. We know for sure it works with a modded AWARD BIOS, and it may also work with MR-BIOS.

Unfortunately AMI BIOS is still a major issue. The mouse support in the BIOS needs to be enabled, but we don't yet know how to defeat or recalculate the checksum. However, on the internets there is source code floating around for an AMI BIOS, and for someone with software skills it might be pretty easy to writea program like modbin for AMI BIOS. Or if somebody has old copies of AMIBCP we could use that as well, but my searches have been fruitless. I think we need V2.1P and earlier (for hi flex bios)

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 12 of 20, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is this: PS/2 to Serial Mouse protocol converter

I bet the design could be adapted to work with a USB mouse.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 13 of 20, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As AC pointed out, the best approach thus far is with modifying the KBC, as shown in this thread, Native PS/2 mouse implementation for 386/486 boards using the keyboard controller
I finally renamed the thread to something more fitting, "Native PS/2 mouse implementation for 386/486 boards using the keyboard controller"

I have been waiting for someone else to attempt sklawz's PS/2-to-serial protocal converter. I spent A LOT of time trying to replicate his efforts, but to no avail. This adapter has promise to be faster than those commercial units with poor tracking quality (Raritan, Vetra, various KVM's), but there will always be some loss of tracking fluidity.

From what I understand, that ISA USB card is without Windows/DOS drivers. I had the opportunity to get some at one point, but decided it wasn't worth the risk.

I beleive the best approach for now is for native PS/2 mouse implementation via the keyboard controller. While AC has an alpha prototype of a plug-in module for this design, I beleive it may be too tall if your KBC socket is in front of a needed ISA slot. Ideally, it would be desirable to relocate the PS/2 module to an ISA card, making such a design platform independent.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 15 of 20, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do optical/laser mice of today actually support serial mode function?
I thought only old ball PS/2 supported it...

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 16 of 20, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:
There is also this (Raritan Computer APSSM): […]
Show full quote

There is also this (Raritan Computer APSSM):

ou44yu.jpg

Anonymous Coward, is this the device you use on your ultimate 8088 (er, V30) system? I've been meaning to ask after reading about it.

Reply 17 of 20, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes. that's the same adapter I have. Since games on these old machines run slow and I don't normally use graphics resolution higher than 320x200 (in the rare case 640x480) I find this adapter more than suitable for my needs.

Reply 18 of 20, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it might be possible to get enough clearance for my sandwich module by using surface mount chips. I plan to tackle that issue eventually. Fortunately for me only one of my boards has the KBC behind the ISA slots.