VOGONS

Best Slot 1 CPU for a Voodoo 1

Topic actions

First post, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still sourcing parts for my upcoming ABIT BH6 build. I would very much like to put a Voodoo 1 in this system, so I need to pair up the best CPU for it.

It looks like the fastest CPU for the V1 would be 450mhz at 100mhz FSB. Should I go with a P2 Deschutes or the P3 Katmai?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think it matters much which of those 2 CPU's you pick. I'd say just pick the one you happen to have available and if you have both, just pick the one closest to your hands after opening your box of Slot 1 CPU's 😜

Edit: On second thought, the P2-450 does have a "coolness" factor that the slowest Katmai is lacking. If it matters anything to you, I'd say go with the Deschutes 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 26, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, I am thinking I'll go with a Deschutes too.

I'm trying to replicate the system I was running back in 1998. Well, I'm getting as close to it as possible.

Back then, I ran a Celeron 300A at 450mhz because I was too broke and/or cheap to pay for a real P2 450. Now that I have actual money and P2 CPUs are cheap, I'm thinking I'll go with the real P2 450 Deschutes.

It looks like the only major difference between the Deschutes and Katmai is the SSE instruction set. Does SSE have an impact on any games?

Reply 3 of 26, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From Redhill hardware:

Pentium II 450 and Pentium-III 450 The Pentium II 450 had one of the longer reigns as the world's fastest X86. Until the arrival […]
Show full quote

Pentium II 450 and Pentium-III 450
The Pentium II 450 had one of the longer reigns as the world's fastest X86. Until the arrival of the K6-III/400 and then the Pentium-III 500 in March 1999, only an Alpha was faster. As always with top of the line parts, the price-performance ratio was dreadful though. Even by winter '99, at the end of their market life, they remained poor value and continued to sell in tiny numbers only. We can't have seen more than two or three.
You'd never have known it from the media hype, but only three things distinguished the Pentium II and this original Pentium-III: a revised production process, the Streaming SIMD (SSE) multi-media instructions, and the biggest advertising campaign the industry had ever seen. In all other respects the two chips were exactly the same, and the Pentium-III offered no performance gain over the Pentium II.
It was, in short, a smoke and mirrors upgrade, offering a massive publicity push instead of actual performance improvements. With the Merced project running late and slow, and the AMD Athlon about to hit, Intel pulled off an old showbiz trick: when you forget your lines, smile and concentrate on looking confident — if you sound upbeat enough, no one will notice that you've fluffed it.
At first, of course, they were absurdly expensive. By mid-winter '99 though, they were semi-reasonable: only about 30% more than an equal-performance K6-III/400 or Celeron 500.

Reply 5 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JaNoZ wrote:

So the pII 450 is that scarce? I have two in a tyan thunder board actually.

It's definitely more uncommon then the 450 Katmai, that's for sure 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 26, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KT7AGuy wrote:
Yep, I am thinking I'll go with a Deschutes too. […]
Show full quote

Yep, I am thinking I'll go with a Deschutes too.

I'm trying to replicate the system I was running back in 1998. Well, I'm getting as close to it as possible.

Back then, I ran a Celeron 300A at 450mhz because I was too broke and/or cheap to pay for a real P2 450. Now that I have actual money and P2 CPUs are cheap, I'm thinking I'll go with the real P2 450 Deschutes.

It looks like the only major difference between the Deschutes and Katmai is the SSE instruction set. Does SSE have an impact on any games?

You do know that the cache on a 300A runs at full speed while it runs at only half speed on a P2, right? That might make a big difference in overall system performance if you overclocked it to 450 instead of getting a real P2.

Reply 7 of 26, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

You do know that the cache on a 300A runs at full speed while it runs at only half speed on a P2, right? That might make a big difference in overall system performance if you overclocked it to 450 instead of getting a real P2.

The reason I no longer have my original Celeron 300A system is because it fried. I don't know if it was due to the overclocking, but it makes me hesitant to do it again. Celeron 300A CPUs aren't cheap on eBay. I'd hate to fry another one.

Even though the Celeron 300A's cache runs at full speed, it only has 128K of it. Wouldn't the 512K cache and 100mhz FSB of the Deschutes or Katmai compensate for that?

Reply 8 of 26, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you run Celeron 300A @ 450 then you also have FSB @ 100MHz. Benchmarks usually showed C@450 abit faster then a P-II 450.

Some reviews from back then:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/big-cpu-shoot,84.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/174/4

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 9 of 26, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought a dual PII-400 Dell Workstation Nov/Dec. 1998 and recall the price difference between the PII-400 and PII-450 being absurbly high. As such, I suspect most buyers, like me, went with the PII-400 over the PII-450. And the PIII-450 was right around the corner. Those were exciting times - never to be repeated, I suspect.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 10 of 26, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to vouch for the PII 450 though, it's an amazing processor. I switched my PII 300 up to one a while ago and it flies, it actually outstrips my Athlon 1500+ in Build Engine games - though that could be because of the Matrox Productivia seemingly being faster in those video modes than the GeForce 4.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 12 of 26, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I kinda like the PIII 450. The hot stepping was SL35D which has cache chips of the PIII 600. That means you can often get to 600MHz or more. I upgraded from a PII 300 SL2W8 which itself was essentially a PII 450 in disguise. I ran that at 504MHz on a Abit BH6.

I never bothered with any Celeron. I think I was offset the times of the Celeron popularity windows a little bit or something.

In other words if you are hell bent on a PII 450, you could get a SL2W8 PII and just put it at 100 MHz FSB. It'll likely be stable.

Reply 13 of 26, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Celeron 300A was hell on wheels and would beat a P2 450 in almost anything. I had a dual Celeron 300A system, @450 of course, that dual booted Windows 98 and NT 4.0. It was a real pain to solder those teeny, tiny wires to enable SMP operation on the slot1 Celerons. Those were the days.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 14 of 26, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I kinda like the PIII 450. The hot stepping was SL35D which has cache chips of the PIII 600. That means you can often get to 600MHz or more.

Tell me about it! I've got an SL35D in my '99 BX rig at 600mhz. 133mhz bus speed in 1999 baby!

Reply 15 of 26, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks to everybody for all the responses!

Wouldn't running a P2 300 (SL2W8) @ 450 still have same limitation as just running a P2/P3 450? I mean, the cache running at half-speed. I suppose I'm not seeing the advantage in this scenario. At least with the Celeron 300A @ 450, you get the 128K cache running at the full 100mhz.

Looking at the benchmarks that kixs posted, the Celeron 300A @ 450 does outperform the P2/P3 450. However, it only appears to be a small gain in that it gets about 0.3 to 1 extra FPS in games/benchmarks. Is this enough to justify overclocking a CPU? At most, it seems like a 1-3% gain.

At the time, considering the cost of a P2 450, buying the 300A and overclocking it made tons of sense. But what about today? Is it still a good idea to do something like that when a P3 450 is cheap and easily obtained?

What exactly are the risks in overclocking a 300A? Am I one of the rare cases of a CPU burning up, or was it a more common risk? If it's a riskier alternative to the standard P2/P3 450, then I think I'd prefer to run one of those just for the stake of stability and peace-of-mind.

Reply 16 of 26, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Of course it makes little sense to mess with overlooking today. Other than to relive it.

At the same clock speed, 512K half speed vs 128K full speed really isn't a tangible difference.

Reply 17 of 26, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:

Thanks to everybody for all the responses!

At the time, considering the cost of a P2 450, buying the 300A and overclocking it made tons of sense. But what about today? Is it still a good idea to do something like that when a P3 450 is cheap and easily obtained?

+1
I don't see any practical gain in overclocking vintage hardware. As you just mentioned, the CPU that a mediocre CPU mimicking by overclocking, is also readily available (generally) as cheap as the slow one. Forcing vintage/tired hardware too much is not a good idea IMHO. 😐

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 18 of 26, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tayyare wrote:

I don't see any practical gain in overclocking vintage hardware. As you just mentioned, the CPU that a mediocre CPU mimicking by overclocking, is also readily available (generally) as cheap as the slow one. Forcing vintage/tired hardware too much is not a good idea IMHO. 😐

In my case,since neither of my retro computers get's used very often and even when i use them is for short periods of time,overclocking doesn't pose a big risk and even if something breaks u can replace the part cheaply.

Reply 19 of 26, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Overclocking these old relics is just to relive it as swaaye pointed out. I used an SL35D in my BX rig as I had a self-imposed target of keeping everything in that particular machine period correct to no later than parts from 1999, i.e. an exercise in building what would have been one of the fastest configurations you could buy in 1999. If you have a such a desire for nostalgia or love tinkering, then use a 300a and have fun cranking it up. Otherwise, just going with the fastest stock speed your motherboard supports would be simpler/ safer.