VOGONS

First post, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As in title Discuss
Im talking AT motherboards that are ISA/PCI most of the time EDO ram perhaps a single SD-RAM slot NO AGP!

I've thrown out heaps of these motherboards, any PRACTICAL reason to not continue this practice? As far as im concerned the sought socket 7 stuff must be SS7, Am I wrong!

Reply 1 of 25, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you dont want them, better sell them to other people.. Iam also have these PCI boards here, but wouldnt never tossed them..

But on socket 7 it really doesnt care if you have pci or AGP, they are almost even fast.. In de beginning of AGP on socket 7, it wasnt really fast at all.. They became faster on Pentium II SLOT 1 motherboards.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 25, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But on socket 7 it really doesnt care if you have pci or AGP, they are almost even fast.. In de beginning of AGP on socket 7, it wasnt really fast at all.. They became faster on Pentium II SLOT 1 motherboards.

It didn't help that some early AGP graphics cards used the slot as if it were PCI, so AGP doesn't help at all with those.

I'd say keep anything with a decent chipset, sell everything else.

Reply 5 of 25, by duncan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

...any board with a HX-chipset and the possibility to put 512kb cache on it is worth keeping. Not being a massive gamer myself (except Medieval: Total War with some mods), I´d say it´s one of the most mature chipsets of it´s time and you can play quite some older games on those. Having two ASUSes myself, toss them towards devius 😉 😉

greetings, duncan

Gibt es hier Freiburger? Interessiert an Kontakten.

Reply 6 of 25, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I talked about in a couple past topics, a socket 7 board (especially one based on the intel AN430TX motherboard - without AGP) seems to be an amazing "all-in-one" solution for DOS gaming in regards to playing older titles and newer ones. Socket 7 boards offer a good balance for someone seeking such a comprimise. A good, compatible PCI video card and ISA sound card is all you need and of course, you can always include a Voodoo card in your setup if you want. You can disable and enable caches to fine tune your system speed and if you're lucky to have a turbo button header that works on your S7, it is even easier to just hit the turbo button. There are always better solutions out there if you are willing to use multiple systems, but the SS7 in my eyes remains as the best "all-in-one" solution (even without AGP) for older and newer DOS programs and games.

In one of my old posts,Re: Ideal system setup for each era of retrocomputing, I mentioned:

"Funny that you say that because originally, before all this madness came about of me building all these systems, I was planning on building only one retro rig for DOS that would 'do it all' based on a P166MMX (based on this text file that someone put together explaining his experience with trying to build the ultimate all-in-one DOS rig: http://www.jumpjet.info/Application-Software/ … OS/Hardware.txt)..." ....someone in this text file outlined how to put together a good "all-in-one" DOS rig with a S7 board.

Reply 9 of 25, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are millions of socket 7 boards around so even if you toss them no big deal. I would keep socket 5 boards, they are not that common.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 10 of 25, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

If you dont want them, better sell them to other people.. Iam also have these PCI boards here, but wouldnt never tossed them..

This

+1 - I agree

+1

Reply 11 of 25, by duncan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi @Unknown_k,
....how many HX-Boards with 512kb cache(or at least upgradability), and maybe even 75fsb, have you seen lately? In my region, even the most sorted 2ndhandshops for old hardware have got none, nil, zero. Those I know having them keep them. I could throw you dead with 1st generation Athlon boards, though.....
greetings, duncan

Gibt es hier Freiburger? Interessiert an Kontakten.

Reply 12 of 25, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote:

There are millions of socket 7 boards around so even if you toss them no big deal. I would keep socket 5 boards, they are not that common.

Yes there is still a lot of socket 7 stuff but it is starting to get rarer.

Its worth at least trying to sell before tossing it.

Reply 13 of 25, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

for my preference, i would only go with newer socket7 boards, mostly mvp3 and ali5. they are backwards compatible with old cpus and speed, but also support higher speed and agp video cards, and are more plentiful to find, so why bother with older boards?

Reply 14 of 25, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:

If we would do it all, i think these board got more harder to find each year later.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 15 of 25, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All electronics are getting harder to find with age, they are all being recycled like crazy. To be honest I am happy there is still a decent supply of the retro stuff around, some of the newer stuff is going from direct use to recycling way before it gets popular to collect ( a lost generation).

Sure reselling or giving the stuff away is better then recycling if there is demand in your area, but few people want to go through the effort of testing a board to maybe get $10 on ebay (before fees) and having to ship something (people are lazy).

The Pentium machines I try to save are the old servers/workstations with custom boards, EISA + PCI slots or MCA, and early chips (P60/66 then the later 90 and 133's). I also keep a few SS7 boards for last generation Cyrix, IDT, VIA, and AMD chips (before the other companies went bust) and some decent server boards (HX chipset). There are a lot of garbage chipsets out there I don't bother with, and I am not too crazy about Intel VX/TX chipsets either. Oh yea, I also have a working dual P200MMX board I need to install something oddball (real unix maybe) onto.

If you just want a Pentium for early games then 64MB of RAM and any chipset will probably work for you.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 16 of 25, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah this recycling craze is horrible. It makes me sick to think these great old computers are being melted down and turned into shoddy things like Iphones with components too small to re-purpose or repair.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 17 of 25, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Yeah this recycling craze is horrible. It makes me sick to think these great old computers are being melted down and turned into shoddy things like Iphones with components too small to re-purpose or repair.

I agree. I am a hoarder and people that throw working things out really get on my nerves.

Reply 18 of 25, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
smeezekitty wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

I agree. I am a hoarder and people that throw working things out really get on my nerves.

You don't want to live in my neighborhood then. Everyone around me thinks recycling is the greatest thing since sliced bread - even my own family members. It's very hard to be a retro computing fan when everyone else you know thinks its only "junk" that must be thrown out ASAP. Even the streets are sterile clean; there is actually a city ordinance (a few years old now) that forbids leaving electronic waste on the curb, they must be taken to a recycling center instead. Scrappers also prowl the streets looking for any unwanted computer hardware. I would love to move away, but at present I can't 🙁

@dirkmirk: as others have said, don't throw away any old computer hardware unless it's broken beyond repair. Either sell them or give them away to others who actually want to use them. You never know if that unwanted Socket 7 motherboard is needed elsewhere to complete a little piece of retro heaven 😀

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 19 of 25, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Keep your old stuff, and if you try to give it away randomly at a show\flea market.... Just Don't.
Actually try to Sell it at a flea market - computer show etc, piece meal for low prices to keep the recyclers away, as they won't pay even a dollar piece meal for say a sound card\videocard\mobo. That way your stuff will go to someone who will likely keep it in use.

For instance at the show I was just at a few days ago, this guy gave away like 10 machines, but a recycler who had a dolly cart got almost all of them when the show opened. They were mostly Pentium II's but there were 3 AT machines and an actual socket 8 pentium-pro among them.
Sadly I was only able to save 3 of them from scrap.