VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you live in Illinois? Because we have the same ordinance. 🙁

Also there are shit tons of scrappers where I am as well. Whenever I go to the recycling drop off there is always a few smashed TV's. 🙁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 22 of 25, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Whenever I go to the recycling drop off there is always a few smashed TV's. 🙁

The basic solid state CRT TVs are nothing worth saving. There is a pile of them at the thrift store for the scrappers every day.
Unfortunately they used to pile the computers there as well but now they give me first dibs.Although I am starting to turn down any P4 machines (running low on space)
Apparently some P1 class stuff got scrapped before I could get there some months ago 😠

Reply 23 of 25, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
King_Corduroy wrote:

Do you live in Illinois? Because we have the same ordinance. 🙁

I'm in Southern California; used to like living here, but nowadays not so much 😐

I actually beat a scrapper to the punch a little over a year ago when I went to visit my sister in the city of Corona. Her husband had a small collection of old PC hardware from the mid 90's to early 2000's, and had talked to a scrapper earlier to come over and take all of it. When she told me that I went to talk to her husband and managed to convince him to let me take a look first and take whatever I wanted. I ended up grabbing almost everything, including an Antec KS-288 ATX case that I now use for my Socket 7 build; the scrapper only got the burned-out remains of an old AT case and a broken external Iomega Ditto tape drive. I've gone back a couple more times since then and have picked the place completely clean. It actually felt good to give the virtual finger to someone like the scrappers 😜

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 24 of 25, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NICE! I love that! It should be illegal to do what those scrappers do, they destroy everything just for some paper currency that will be devalued over time anyhow. 😒

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!