VOGONS

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's the name of the onboard graphics for my PC Chips M810LR-H Socket A motherboard. I have it in a Compaq 5304 case which is limited to only the small SFX power supplys. It has a 200W PSU and I need to find a Geforce card that won't be too much beast for the power supply.. I have a 1.3GHz Duron in it since this buggy ol' board has problems keeping the cpu and ram speeds if I used a 266fsb Athlon XP cpu and PC133 ram. It would switch back to a cpu bus to 200fsb and call the Athlon XP a Duron or Athlon T-bird on boot up. The ram would also switch back to 100mhz speeds. If anyone here on the forums can offer me advice on how to fix that, it would mean a lot to me and then I can enjoy one of those 48W-51w Athlon XPs instead of the 60w Duron and have room for a better Geforce card 😉 Anyways, the best card I'm thinking about using is a Geforce4 MX 420 which uses SDRAM instead of DDR. I read this would be less on bottlenecks because my mobo is limited to only PC133. My second choice out of my collection would be some sort of Geforce2 card if they outperform my onboard SIS 730s graphics - which has a selectable borrowed SDRAM of 16-64MB. I was looking at the trusty retro PSU calculator site and the system config idea draws 185-197W. Which Geforce card should I go with?

http://users.telenet.be/unclefil/powersupply/Amd.html

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 26, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Geforce4 mx would be a fantastic choice and should only pull around 20ish watts under full load. Honestly that would be my suggestion for compatibility, performance and cost. They are seriously a dime a dozen (ok more like $5)

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 26, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's great! How well would my 64MB Geforce4 MX 420 do in games with my 1300MHz Duron? I'm thinking on games like Fable, The Movies Game, and Empire Earth II. By the way ODwilly, you have the exact same Asrock mobo in your signature that i'm using for my modern pc build! 😀 I have an FX-8370 with mine.

Reply 3 of 26, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have no idea honestly, it should be far faster than your current integrated graphics at the least, I would say that there is nothing to it but to try and see how they run! 😁 My experience with socket A is really limited. Ha, that is awesome on the Asrock mobo! I love my board, built the system in late 2011. The 8350 was a recent addition, this thing started life with an Athlon II 250 and a 120gb IDE hard drive (which is why I chose this board)

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 26, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I once had a system with an Athlon II 270 cpu. Mobo was an ECS A880GM-M6. Really loved that computer... But I sold it to buy parts for my current rig I'm still building.

Reply 5 of 26, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice! They are really good little processors. I still have my 250 sitting on a shelf begging for a motherboard. Someday. . .

Reply 6 of 26, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think even with an equal number of chips, a DDR card would use slightly less power than an SDRAM version, but I could be wrong about that. It should definitely be lower power if the DDR version has fewer chips. I don't know much about what configurations were offered on the 4MX series though.

Reply 7 of 26, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computergeek92 wrote:

Anyways, the best card I'm thinking about using is a Geforce4 MX 420 which uses SDRAM instead of DDR. I read this would be less on bottlenecks because my mobo is limited to only PC133.

Nonsense, bandwidth of local graphics memory cannot be bottlenecked by system memory.
730S integrated SiS 305, so even slowest GeForce should perform 3d better.

Reply 8 of 26, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You mean slow as in Geforce1 slow and a low end Geforce2 MX with 32MB VRAM?

What about benchmark scores?

Reply 9 of 26, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Much slower, it's very handicapped by low memory bandwith of the 64bit SDRAM it have to share with the CPU.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 26, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Geforce2 MX 200 is at least three times faster than a tweaked SiS 630 (same graphic core as 730) in 3DMark2001 with a Pentium III 866. I guess a faster CPU makes an even bigger difference.

GeForce2 MX 200 result: My 3DMark01 Mega Thread
SiS 630 result: My 3DMark01 Mega Thread

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 26, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For benchmarks see http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sis-back- … age,278-10.html and the following page.
Q3 is unplayable at any resolution on the SiS730.
A Geforce2 is several times(!) faster, even a GF2 MX should be much faster. GF2 MX uses very little power so that might be an option if you are really concerned.
Of course GF4 MX is still quite low power (lower than GF2) and faster than a GF2 MX.
About your games: I don't know any of them, tried to look them up.
Is that Fable from 1996? No 3D acceleration, the system would be totally overkill. Or is a later game?
Empire Earth II and The Movies are both from 2005, EE2 states 64MB video RAM and pixel shaders minimum while TM states 32MB VRAM. I don't know how good they would run even with a GF4 MX.

Reply 16 of 26, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First of all, don't worry about power. You cannot saturate a 200W power supply with any of the Nvidia boards up to and including GeForce4, even in a system with a several HDD's and other staff installed.

Second, I'm not sure if you will find the experience of playing Empire Earth II with such a configuration completely enjoyable (it's from 2005, requires DirectX 9, P4 level CPU, etc.)

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 17 of 26, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Get a Geforce 4 Ti and be happy. But not for Empire Earth 2 🤣

I've experimented with some SiS onboard stuff. Once tried Morrowind on their SiS 760 with Mirage graphics that is DirectX8 compliant. It does indeed do pixel shading. But performance was just abysmal and yea a Geforce 256 might be faster. It was also poor at even doing the XP GUI and would flicker and tear, apparently because SiS had done a very poor job with the Athlon 64 Hypertransport to RAM interface. That's what the Linux driver developer said anyway.

SiS discrete cards are better because they have a lot more memory bandwidth. 315 is comparable to Geforce2, I think. The problem is I'm sure driver support isn't super great.

Reply 18 of 26, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree on EE2 and Fable and such being far beyond this system's abilities - you really need a faster P4, AthlonXP, or Athlon64 and comparable graphics card (GeForce 6600 sounds good; if you're going PCIe (I would) I'd just kick that up to an 8500 or 8600 and be happy).

That "PSU calculator" is also always a nice laugh when posted - I completely agree with tayyare on the power thing. My Dual NetBurst Xeon, with a 6800 Ultra, secondary PCI GeForce FX, Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (it has the front bay that requires power), many fans, etc peaks in 3DMark at around 225W at the wall (which means the actual DC draw is around 80% of that). There's no way a P3, Athlon, etc with a GF2 are going to hold a candle to that machine in terms of power consumption. However, something that calculator isn't taking into account at all is rail supply - my NetBurst system draws most of its power over the 12V rail, but your Duron is probably drawing most of its power over the 5V rail, so your PSU needs to be able to accommodate that.

Reply 19 of 26, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

I agree on EE2 and Fable and such being far beyond this system's abilities - you really need a faster P4, AthlonXP, or Athlon64 and comparable graphics card (GeForce 6600 sounds good; if you're going PCIe (I would) I'd just kick that up to an 8500 or 8600 and be happy).

That "PSU calculator" is also always a nice laugh when posted - I completely agree with tayyare on the power thing. My Dual NetBurst Xeon, with a 6800 Ultra, secondary PCI GeForce FX, Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (it has the front bay that requires power), many fans, etc peaks in 3DMark at around 225W at the wall (which means the actual DC draw is around 80% of that). There's no way a P3, Athlon, etc with a GF2 are going to hold a candle to that machine in terms of power consumption. However, something that calculator isn't taking into account at all is rail supply - my NetBurst system draws most of its power over the 12V rail, but your Duron is probably drawing most of its power over the 5V rail, so your PSU needs to be able to accommodate that.

I compare AMD K7 clock speeds to the equivalent Pentium 4 cpu, so the 1.3GHz Duron is actually as fast as a 1.8GHz Pentium 4 based on benchmarks I believe.

With the PSU calculator not focusing on rail supply, how does that affect the accuracy of the combined wattage of each part of my system? Am I still at 185W as I said earlier?