VOGONS

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let the paranoia commence... 😁

We all know that computer components are vulnerable to excessive overclocking, electrostatic shock, accidental droppage, and so on. But how often do things die on their own, for no apparent reason?

In my experience, not too often. Here are the things I have seen kick the bucket spontaneously:

* several power supplies
* one hard drive
* one GeForce2 GTS (almost certain it was natural causes)

I also know from research that motherboards and other components can develop bad caps over time, but so far I haven't had to deal with this.

I don't think I've ever heard of a CPU dying of old age, though. Has anyone ever seen this?

More generally, what hardware components have died on you without any help? (User error doesn't count!)

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 37, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an old laptop Pentium MMX 233Mhz based... I reinstalled the OS and put it away. Then a few months later I powered it on and while booting Win98 the Hard drive died 😢

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 37, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It just happened today. My GA-5SMM died this morning. PSU fan spins, hard drive spins, but no CPU fan spin, no video, no nothing. Can't believe it. Can't find any visual damage. Swapped everything and everything works except the motherboard. 😵

Reply 4 of 37, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Audigy 2 just started increasing DPC latency and causing hardware interrupts one day. It was working just fine a year ago, but when I took it out of its anti-static bag for testing recently, I noticed that 10% of the CPU was being eaten by hardware interrupts and deferred procedure calls. Didn't matter if it was in an Intel, nVidia, or VIA chipsetted system, and older drivers certainly didn't help it. Audio output was fine though.

Oh well. I wound up just tossing it.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 5 of 37, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A while ago, I trashpicked an IBM Thinkpad 365X P100 laptop. About a week or two later, the original 810MB Toshiba HDD spontaneously died. I actually had to buy an external CD-ROM drive just so I could reinstall Win 95 on that thing (that laptop does not have a CD drive built in, and no, I didn't have a floppy copy of Win 95 and I still don't), and another hard drive (side note: I ordered a 1.3GB, but I got another 810MB. At least this one worked, so I just went with it).

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 6 of 37, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Several hard drives, most recently a WD 40gb IDE that I was using to install WinXP. After the install completed and just after the final reboot, the hard drive decided it had enough and simply quit spinning. Utter frustration ensued 😖

An ESS 1868 sound card died inside my Socket 7 build. It had been working for about 2 years without any problems, then I stored the PC away for a few weeks. When I took it out again, the PC started OK but the sound card wouldn't work. I took it out and went to visit a family friend that had a 486 desktop; it refused to work. He told me that it was "brain dead" and should just toss it. After doing some more research on Google I ended up doing just that. Too bad.

An ATI Rage 128 Pro died quietly while in storage. When I tried to use it again, all I got was the 3-beep salute. Went straight to the recycle bin 😵

Other dead PC parts: floppy drives, CD/DVD-ROM drives, power supplies, and of course case and CPU cooler fans (plenty of them). Never had a CPU or memory sticks die on me though - intentional or not.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 7 of 37, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

agp voodoo 3 3000. Got it for free, tested it, stored it it an anti-static bag alone on a shelf and went to install it in a p3 3 months later. Scrambled lettering that appears to be from bad ram. Also a 63?gb sata wd raptor drive that decided that it wouldnt even power o any more. Although it had like 60k power on hours. . .so it did deserve it's rest.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 8 of 37, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My rare "HP edition" Barton Athlon XP 3200+ 2333 MHz (14*166).

It suddenly died when I restarted the system, it was running at 2600 MHz @~1.75V at the time. I guess some sort of voltage spike killed it. I have plenty of other Bartons but no other that can run at 2500+ MHz stable with stock voltage and simple air cooling.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 9 of 37, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hard drives, always secondhand ones
a few cd/dvd drives, always secondhand ones
some old ram

a sapphire am2+ board bought new
some sticks of desktop ddr2 bought new

an arctic freezer fan, but it started working once i replaced it
an amd stock am2+ hsf
a thermaltake case fan

a gf6600, a 6800gt, and a 7950gx2 [bad solder]
a jetway socket a board [bad caps]
an elite socket am2+ bought new
a few cheap psus [the free-with-a-case type]

Reply 10 of 37, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:

It just happened today. My GA-5SMM died this morning. PSU fan spins, hard drive spins, but no CPU fan spin, no video, no nothing. Can't believe it. Can't find any visual damage. Swapped everything and everything works except the motherboard. 😵

That's really sad. I own the Compaq version of that board and it has the best ever onboard midi I've ever heard on a vintage board. I highly recommend listening to the "Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness" soundtrack on it. "Dreaming next to Erana's staff" is the best sounding tune with that midi synth.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 12 of 37, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One day I was working on my power mac g5 when a power outage hit my office. The power came back later but never did the mac. I think its PSU is dead.
Another day I rebooted my computer for updates and it couldn‘t find the boot drive. That was how my SSD died.

Last edited by lazibayer on 2014-11-22, 18:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 37, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lots of HDDs. Seagates tend to fair better for me. I have some 631MB drive leftover from a lot buy at a university auction back in 2000 and they're still going.

I have the touch of death for laptops. Everytime I get my hands on a neat older laptop, it's done within a week. I had a great IBM thinkpad 386 with grayscale screen that I toted around for pen & paper RPGs that died trying to charge the battery.

I have an unmarked P4 board (PC Chips) that has recently given up the ghost due to bad caps. I fished it out of storage recently to fiddle with it and received the strong smell of battery acid from the antistatic bag.

I will add to JayCeeBee's sentiment that I've never had a CPU go out either. I've overclocked a few, but even those (the one's I still have anyway) are still working fine. All but two of them have been Intel.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 14 of 37, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MSI K7 mainboard died within a year of purchase, the replacement still works. Other than that I might have two HDD's die on me in the past 20 years. I think static electricity is not to be feared as much as people think. My friend worked as a network admin for years and did all the repairs wearing a knitted shirt. I've personally never taken any precautions (except turning off the machine) while tinkering with a PC. 😀

Reply 15 of 37, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had so many things die on me ...
HDD from all brands, some slot 1 motherboards, one slot A motherboard, several geforces, countless playstations (ok, 2 PS1 and 1 PS3 and 1 PS2), etc ...

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 16 of 37, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Way too many Maxtor HDDs. And a single Deskstar.

My friend's X-fi titanium-something PCIe failed in a peculiar way last month. It still works, but if he turns the volume up too high, it locks up after a minute and emits a high-pitched BEEEEP through all speakers at maximum volume.

Reply 17 of 37, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember WAAAAAAY back in my early teens that I had a Cyrix MII 333 in a MoBo where the graphics chip eventually gave out...
Also a bunch of HDs... surprisingly two from identical i5 Dell Inspirons that were bought together (by my dad and a friend of his), whereas the HDD in my old'n'beaten Acer never gave me any trouble.

Reply 18 of 37, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally, I've had all these die spontaneously:
Floppy drives, several hard drives, CD/DVD drives, RAM, various fans, an FX 5900 Ultra, CRT monitors and televisions.

Two years ago, my brother had a complete system failure. We tested all the parts and found almost everything to be bad: motherboard, CPU, some of the RAM, PSU, a fan, and video card. I can only speculate that it took a hit from a surge or lightning strike or something. It was pretty odd.

Reply 19 of 37, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a few parts that were working before and now suddenly seems to be dead.

A-Trend Voodoo2 12MB
Guillemot Banshee PCI
Athlon 1,4GHz Thunderbird
Athlon XP 2100+ Palomino
Asus A7V133 (not sure)
ECS K7S6A

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware