VOGONS

ISA 8bit VGA

Topic actions

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What are the top performance/quality VGA cards for the 8bit ISA interface?
I bought one "unknown" computer for cheap over the online auction here and it will arrive soon, but i noticed it has no VGA in it and all are ISA 8bit ports.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 14, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the PC only has 8bit slots chances are that it's an XT, AT machines could already have 16 bit slots.
I don't think that performance will matter very much since the 8088/8086 CPU won't be able to saturate the card. And most VGA games probably won't run very fast on an XT.
I would instead go for something with good CGA compatibility. I think some early Paradise cards might be a good choice.

If the machine is an AT or higher I suppose it will be slowed down if you use an 8bit VGA card, regardless which model.

Reply 4 of 14, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For native 8-bit I think the cards based on the Paradise PVGA1K are pretty good in terms of performance and compatibility. Remember you can also use a lot of 16-bit cards in 8-bit slots.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 6 of 14, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't mean to use a CGA monitor, but a VGA card which offers good CGA compatibility from a software point of view. See CGA Compatibility Tester vs. VGA cards

Reply 7 of 14, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use an ATI VGA Wonder XL. It's a 16-bit card, but it works in an 8-bit slot. The image quality and speed were both improved on over the VGA Wonder 16. I would think Cirrus or Trident cards would also work well.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 14, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also use ATI VGA Wonder XL 512k in my XT`s. With the included software i can set the ROM to 8-bit mode instead.. And these ATIs have a great backward compatibillity.. So i can set the card with the included software to each MDA, CGA, EGA, VGA mode i want.. And that with a regular VGA monitor connected to the graphics card.. It also haves a Bus mouse connector too.. So those i use to give my XT machines an mouse with higer DPI.

Last edited by Robin4 on 2014-11-25, 18:41. Edited 1 time in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 9 of 14, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oak cards (the ones with 512KB max RAM, two display ports -TTL/analog- , and a configuration switch) are definitely work in 8-bit slots. They also can emulate MDA, CGA, and EGA, as well as VGA. There are also several 8-bit Genoa (EGA) and Paradise (EGA, VGA) cards available at the moment around ebay, though they are a bit pricey.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 10 of 14, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool, thanks for all the info 😀
It is definitely funny to see an 16bit card in an 8bit slot 😁
I will know more once it arrives (tomorrow hopefully).

Reply 11 of 14, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its an Phillips NMS9100 computer, with Western Digital 30 addon card and harddrive (probably dead, but i have two more), and an parallel interface or sometihng.
I am currently cleaning it up.

Reply 13 of 14, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool 😁
I am currently cleaning it, the motherboard is pretty much flawless, only there is some hard duse near hte connectors.
The thing that needs a bath is the housing, its dirty as dirt.

Do you know about upgradeing this computer? It has an Intel 8088-2, no CO-Processor.
Here is an image of the board: http://i.imgur.com/1qOlHsU.jpg

Reply 14 of 14, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it run at 4.77MHz, or at least offers this speed? In that case I would leave the CPU as it is for full speed compatibility with IBM PC. Otherwise you could replace the 8088 with a NEC V20 for a small boost.
It will still be too slow for a lot of EGA games, let alone VGA. Early Sierra adventures (AGI) might run OK in EGA mode, later ones (SCI) not. My family used to have an XT-Clone with an 8MHz 8086 which would be faster than most 8088's (I don't know how fast you'd have to clock an 8088, maybe at 12MHz it would match an 8MHz 8086.) That's why I suggest to get a VGA card with good CGA compatibility, games that support EGA should run fine with faster machines like 286 or 386. You'll still have the option to use a VGA monitor and run EGA or VGA games or early GUI's if you want to try.

Forget about the FPU, not relevant for games until much later (see previous discussions, very few games for 386 would profit from an FPU, that started with Pentium).