VOGONS

First post, by kuparikettu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was finally able to get to hear Monkey Island theme music the way it was meant to be listened. However, on my way towards this goal I have faced a problem that has left me wondering what are my options. AWE64 Gold allows one to use IRQ 9, which is good for Softmpu compatibility with some games. Apparently choosing that IRQ make my soundcard non-combatible with Soundblaster setting for games, leaving me without digital effects.

Now then, are my only options to either juggle the IRQ between 9 and 5 depending on which games I'm about to play or to buy a second IRQ9 supporting sound card to use as the MT-32 driving Softmpu-card? Or is there some other option available of which I'm not yet aware of?

In case the answer is 'no', what 8-bit ISA sound card Softmpu & IRQ 9 providing options would there be available?

Reply 1 of 2, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which games do you want to play? Only a few number of games actually require IRQ 2/9. BTW most games have support for IRQ 2 which cascades to 9.
But anyway you can get a Sound Blaster Pro 2 and use your AWE64 Gold for SoftMPU, or get a YAMAHA YMF-71x card for SoftMPU and keep your AWE64 Gold on IRQ 5. And you can use ESS AudioDrive cards for that as well i think. There's a lot of options.

I would actually do the opposite, use the YMF card as my regular Sound Blaster/SoftMPU and use the AWE64 Gold on IRQ2/9 and use that for SoftMPU only if the game i want to play requires IRQ2/9.

Reply 2 of 2, by kuparikettu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks carlostex,

I think I'll buy an additional sound card. It seems I'm unable to get AWE64 FM synthesis enabled (=all Adlib games are silent, can't just get it enabled with aweutils). I wonder if the card is broken somehow.