VOGONS

best directx for v3 on Win98se

Topic actions

First post, by dario82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

please guys, what the best compatibility (for games) of directx version on win98se with voodoo3 3000?

i have try with 7.0a and last driver v3 V1.07.00 and work fine
there is a higher version of directx supported 100% my voodoo3?

Reply 3 of 20, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes , DX7 or 8 is what I would recommend too , DX9 can cause issues with some of the older cards (for instance it caused slowdown for me, along with graphical issues in some games)

I would stick to DX7 unless youre playing a game that forces you to install DX8 (which would be a bit late for that card anyway)

Reply 7 of 20, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I never had any problems using DirectX 9.0c with my Voodoo3 3000. Never had problems with DirectX 9.0c on any system, for that matter.

As far as I know, the last DirectX to support Windows 98 SE was the December 2006 release (this is what I use).

PCGames9505

Reply 8 of 20, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dario82 wrote:

OK, but i have actually installed directx9c on windows98, can i uninstall dx9c with a good program? do you know the best software to use?

Format and re-install is your best bet.

There is this guy at the Hardocp forum who actually went through all of these DirectX versions and he stopped at the DirectX 8.1 http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1687974

Last edited by Dreamer_of_the_past on 2014-12-03, 00:32. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 10 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DirectX Buster will remove DirectX for you. I use it often.

Stick with 7.0a unless you are actually playing a DirectX 8+ game. It is the most stable in my experience. You can run DirectX 7 even with newer video cards.

If you truly need DirectX 8+ you might want to run XP or Win2K.

Reply 12 of 20, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why be constrained by a single DirectX version? I have been using V-Com System Commander for years to create builds with multiple Win98 SE installations on the same machine, each with a different DirectX version (usually DX7-DX9). If you don't have or care for System Commander, use your favorite boot manager to achieve the same thing.

Reply 13 of 20, by dario82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

in my case, best driver are dx7 for me, are more stable for my games:

screamer2,requiem,diablo2,dethcarz,motoracer,glquake,quake2,nfs2,descent2 or 3,ignition,unreal etc..

i can use in future System Commander,this looks interesting for some game with right directx

Reply 14 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
akula65 wrote:

Why be constrained by a single DirectX version? I have been using V-Com System Commander for years to create builds with multiple Win98 SE installations on the same machine, each with a different DirectX version (usually DX7-DX9). If you don't have or care for System Commander, use your favorite boot manager to achieve the same thing.

Or just use DirectX Buster, reboot, install different version, reboot.

Reply 15 of 20, by dario82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

until I will be 'forced to install dx9 for a specific game, I'll keep the dx7.

i have also installed a voodoo1 card when i want play well some game for ex.screamer2 or descent2,tombraider etc... with voodoo1 primary drivers (installed after voodoo3 drivers) because i use two 3dfx cards

my question is:

Dx7 can create a conflict if i play on voodoo1 games?

Reply 16 of 20, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No such legends for you as

1. Divine Divinity
2. Dungeon Siege
3. Gothic II
4. Neverwinter Nights
5. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
6. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos

Actually most of these probably won't run well or run at all on a Voodoo3 video card.

Last edited by Dreamer_of_the_past on 2014-12-11, 17:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 20, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
No such legends for you as […]
Show full quote

1. Dungeon Siege
2. Gothic II
3. Neverwinter Nights
3. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
4. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos

Actually most of these probably won't run well or run at all on a Voodoo3 video card.

Won't those all run fine on XP anyway?

Reply 18 of 20, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
No such legends for you as […]
Show full quote

1. Dungeon Siege
2. Gothic II
3. Neverwinter Nights
3. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
4. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos

Won't those all run fine on XP anyway?

Windows XP already comes with built-in DirectX 8.1, but the subject is about Windows 98 SE.