VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello guys, today I found an excellent old Face of technology Packard Bell monitor. Only problem is some asshole scrapper clipped the VGA cable off, how should I go about repairing it? Can I just cut a double ended vga cable in half and wire that in? Would it be risky / deadly for me to just twist the wires together to test if the monitor works at all.

I've never worked on a CRT monitor before but my main computer is a Packard bell and this is the monitor it should have come with when it was new so I would really love to be able to make it work.

Thanks guys I really hope someone here can help me out, I'll provide pictures later.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Eh.. never mind I think it may be toast. I just plugged it in and it's producing white bars that slowly inch up the screen. 😒

Reply 3 of 18, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I tried re wiring the vga cable before and it was pure shit. Maybe take off the back and see if you can plugn in a new vga cable?

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 4 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks as though I can plug in a new cable. But I'm not sure the monitor isn't completely shot, when I turn it on white bars slowly inch up the screen like some sort of idle pattern. I've never seen a monitor do this before but if it is shot it's too bad as the CRT looks pretty crisp if those white bars are anything to go by.

Reply 5 of 18, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do a visual inspection of the electrolytic capacitors, see if you spot any with a swollen top/bottom, deformed plastic sleeving or fluid leakage.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 6 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Visually all the caps look A ok. Everything looks fine on the surface, problem is I don't know what this particular model of monitor is supposed to do when it's inactive but on. I'm actually kind of inclined to think it may actually work if I manage to get my hands on another cable that I can plug into the board.

Reply 7 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey I made a quick video to show exactly what the monitor is doing. What do you guys think? Is it shot or is this a "no signal" pattern?

http://youtu.be/3oEWnBQFTQc

Reply 10 of 18, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That looks very digital and deterministic, like coming from an internal pattern generator. I used to have a Packard Bell CRT monitor from the early 2000s which used to display a crosshatch pattern when it received no video input, so I'd say it's not unheard of for something like that to exist.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 11 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I'm going to have to try and locate another monitor so I can steal it's VGA cable.

Reply 12 of 18, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you know if the scraper how trowned on the other electronic waste? Maybe its have some damage inside the tube..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 13 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I looked inside and the tube looks good to me. In addition the caps look good also. 😒

Reply 14 of 18, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

Do you know if the scraper how trowned on the other electronic waste? Maybe its have some damage inside the tube..

That doesn't sound consistent with a tube problem.

Reply 15 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just wired up my first attempt at a VGA cable and I think I almost got it right, the computer monitor seemed reconise that something was being recieved but I missed a few wires that I thought were sheathing so I have to try again. I think this monitor may live yet. 😁

When I say it recognized it was recieving something it didn't go into the test pattern when the VGA was plugged into a computer that was running.

Reply 16 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope same thing... Uh I give up. I guess it's going back to the recycling center. What a shame though I really do want a Packard Bell monitor for this computer 🙁

Reply 17 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm someone that has the exact same monitor just told me it is indeed a test pattern. Well maybe I just suck at making VGA cables then, I'll have to go over to the recycling center and see if I can't find another monitor that I don't really care for to steal the VGA cable and plugs from.