VOGONS

VLB Graphics recommendation

Topic actions

First post, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've come to the conclusion that I'd like to try rebuilding my 486 system, with its completely undocumented motherboard, and swap to VESA local bus instead of the current PCI.
Firstly because VESA local bus seems more appropriate for a 486, but also because I'd simply like to see how VLB performs compared to PCI, although I can't get the same type of graphics card I use now as VLB.
The lack of documentation for my current PCI based motherboard, means I don't even know if my CPU is actually running at the correct voltage, or if it's just surviving major over-volting due to sufficient cooling or whatever.
With a board that I can get at least basic jumper-settings for, I would at least be able to rest easy knowing that the CPU isn't going to die from running at 5V instead of the correct 3.3V.

Currently I'm using a 2MB Matrox Millennium, which I'm actually very happy with, but this is of course going to have to be replaced, and unfortunately cost is going to be a factor.
Could anyone recommend a couple of well performing VLB based graphics cards?
There are quite a few on eBay at any given time, but some are highly overpriced in my opinion. Currently I'm looking at a Trident TGUI9440, which is reasonably priced, but there are also some Cirrus Logic 5428 based ones that come within my budget. Since I live in Norway, the price (of the item itself) has to be less than about $28 or €22.5, or else I'll be charged 25% taxes on both the price of the item and the shipping, which could add a substantial cost. Yes, the Norwegian government hate it when we purchase things from abroad.

Also, has anyone tried running an Intel DX4 100MHz at 120MHz with 40MHz bus? I'm not really too keen on overclocking such old hardware, but if others have been successful with long-term overclocks like that, then I imagine there could be a substantial performance gain in the higher bus speed.

Right, that's it for now I think.

Have a wonderful day everybody 😀

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 1 of 80, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had a CL5428 in my old machine, was a decent enough Windows accelerator, never really explored its DOS performance.

Somewhere in my junkbox, there is a Diamond Stealth 64 video Vram - recognized it as a classic - in the days of setting graphics for DOS programs, EVERTHING had an option for S3.

One old gem, probably rare, was the Paradise ports'o'call - a combined VLB graphics & IO card

Reply 2 of 80, by jxhicks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would not recommend the Trident. I have an AMD DX4-100 system that uses the TGUI9440-Agi on an Opti 895 motherboard. Overall I have not had any compatibility problems in DOS, I have not tested the card in windows at all. The performance is ok, nothing out of whack when compared to similar systems using Phil's VGA bench. The problem for me is output quality. It looks fine to me plugged into a CRT, but is complete garbage on an LCD. That might not be an issue for you, but if I were spending the money, I would rather get something that works well no matter what.

Reply 3 of 80, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have good experiences with CL-5428, S3 805 and Tseng ET4000/w32i. For DOS usage there isn't any difference between them. But if you plan on using Windows (3.1 or 95) then CL-5428 is the slowest and Tseng ET4000/w32i 2MB is the fastest (speed in Win95 800x600 15-bit can be rated like this: CL-5428 = 1, S3-805 = 2.5 and ET4K/w32i 2MB = 4.5) so S3 805 is a good middle ground.

Last edited by kixs on 2014-12-08, 19:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 80, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know much about VLB cards today (availability, price, etc.) but I remember clearly that the S3 chipset was the hip thing. I clearly remember 805 and 928 was a better performer than CL equivalents and a far better one again, compared to Trident. I'm not sure which VLB cards was available after that, since I upgraded to PCI afterwards.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 5 of 80, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tseng ET4000 W32p (top notch DOS chip with capable GUI accel)
S3 Trio64 (one of the last VLB chips)
S3 Vision 868/968 (pre Trio chip, high end GUI accelerators, 968 uses VRAM)

Though in practice a 486 tends to make high end GUI chips a bit moot because the CPU is such a bottleneck.

Reply 6 of 80, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The S3 Vision/Trio VLB cards are just as quick in DOS as the W32p (and quicker in Windows GUI acceleration). They are often much cheaper and more common than the W32p, so they are great cards.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 80, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want good windows performance get an ATi Mach64, or S3 Vision based card.(some people also liked Matrox and Weitek Power)
If you want good DOS performance, go Tseng ET4000W32P, ARK1000VL or S3 Trio64/868/864/805, or Cirrus Logic
If you want to run reliably at 50MHz, ET4000W32P, S3 805, ARK1000VL, Trident or CL.

S3 DRAM based cards are probably the best all around, but often cause problems at 40 or 50MHz.
Image quality also varies considerably between different cards using the same chipset.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 80, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

By the way, where are these cheap Trio32 or 64 cards for VLB? The ones I've seen recently go for more than $50.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 80, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe you look for this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cirrus-logic-CL-GD542 … =item3cee21eb0f
Not really expensive.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 10 of 80, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Decent VLB cards are getting hard to find. Most of what you see are CL chips or early S3.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 11 of 80, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jxhicks wrote:

I would not recommend the Trident. I have an AMD DX4-100 system that uses the TGUI9440-Agi on an Opti 895 motherboard. Overall I have not had any compatibility problems in DOS, I have not tested the card in windows at all. The performance is ok, nothing out of whack when compared to similar systems using Phil's VGA bench. The problem for me is output quality. It looks fine to me plugged into a CRT, but is complete garbage on an LCD. That might not be an issue for you, but if I were spending the money, I would rather get something that works well no matter what.

I will not be using it on LCDs, only CRT, but output quality is of course a factor, as I'm used to Matrox output quality at the moment.
Thanks for the heads up 😀

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 12 of 80, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never tried an ET4000/w32, only the regular ISA version back in the days, and I always felt it was overrated. Never noticed it being any better than my generic Cirrus Logic. But we never really ran any benchmarks back then, it was only based on subjectively seeing how well games ran. It does seem like ET4000s are very expensive these days though, so I'll keep away from those I think.
I'm not really in any rush to find parts asap, so I have some time to find a really good deal.

By the way, is there a huge difference in performance of different Multi I/O cards? I mean like Winbond compared to UMC and "Mega-D" and such?

Reply 13 of 80, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone tried the CL-GD5434 as used on the Diamond Speedstar 64? From the technical specs, this seems like it should be a pretty good graphics chip.
I'm looking at a card based on this chip, with 2MB of memory. This is certified to work at up to 50MHz bus speeds and seeing as it has 64-bit memory interface, it should be pretty fast for a VESA Local Bus card.

Reply 14 of 80, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I read CL-GD5434 was problematic somehow, it does not bench any faster then the GD5428:
486 VLB UMC-Chipset, what is it?

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 15 of 80, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

I read CL-GD5434 was problematic somehow, it does not bench any faster then the GD5428:

Ah yes, I remember seeing that thread at some point a while back. Thanks for linking it, as those benchmarks show quite a lot of popular graphics cards from way back when.
Perhaps I should also point out that the "Commander Keep scrolling bug" is not a problem for me, as I don't ever play Commander Keen, and generally no side-scrollers. 😀

It also just occured to me that I have a PCI based Trident TGUI9440 AGi sitting around, so I've just swapped out my Matrox Millennium for that, just to do some testing.
It does seem to have pretty good dos performance. I need to retest my Matrox card, but it does actually appear that the Trident is faster in 3DBench.
I'm going to have to test it in Windows as well to see what the image quality is like at higher resolutions.
A VLB card doesn't have to perform the same ofc, but at least it gives me an idea of how the chip itself performs.

Right, after retesting the Matrox, they appear to give identical performance in Phil's benchmark suite. 64.4 in 3DBench. Very respectable results for the Trident adapter imho.

Reply 16 of 80, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

Just had another look at that link you gave me. The graphics card chart has an ISA based 5434 not benching higher than an ISA based 5426, but more importantly, ALL ISA cards seem to score the same in tests like 3DBench, which suggests to me that the ISA interface is the bottleneck in those cases. For example, a VLB based 5428 scores much better.

Reply 17 of 80, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, "it does not bench any faster then the GD5428" was a wrong remark from me, as I was looking at the GD5434 ISA score in error. There is a GD5434 VLB lower in the chart though.
The CGW magazine pdf has some more benchmarks for each card as well as review articles. The chart in my post was adjusted as to fit the vogons embedded image size limit.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 18 of 80, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

Yeah, "it does not bench any faster then the GD5428" was a wrong remark from me, as I was looking at the GD5434 ISA score in error. There is a GD5434 VLB lower in the chart though.
The CGW magazine pdf has some more benchmarks for each card as well as review articles. The chart in my post was adjusted as to fit the vogons embedded image size limit.

Yeah, I noticed that as well when I looked closer. My apologies to you.
I'm going to have a closer look at the whole article, as the card I've been scoping out is that VLB Orchid Kelvin64.

Done some more testing and it turns out my Trident TGUI9440 AGi PCI is pretty abysmal in Windows 95 at least. Even with 2MB memory installed, it'll only do 800x600 if I want any more than 256 colours, and even then it's only 65k colours. 16.7million colours is only possible at 640x480 resolution. So my conclusion is that although it seems to be a very decent DOS performer, as good as my Matrox Millennium in my system, it's no good for Windows use. That's not really a big issue I suppose, but it's a bonus if I could have both. So, I think I'll steer clear of any Trident VLB cards.

Reply 19 of 80, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember working with Trident 9440 CXi. A friend had one and it couldn't run Diablo remotely fluidly. I gave him my Hercules Dynamite Power card (ET4000/W32p) and that fixed things up. You don't really want any old Trident chips. They eventually became somewhat acceptable in the PCI age though.

Indeed there are some excellent Computer Gaming World articles on VLB cards. That's how I did my shopping back in those days.