Topic actions

Reply 60 of 80, by kataniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jxhicks wrote:

I would not recommend the Trident.

jxhicks wrote:

It looks fine to me plugged into a CRT, but is complete garbage on an LCD. That might not be an issue for you, but if I were spending the money, I would rather get something that works well no matter what.

All VLB cards I tested (Diamond Stealth64, Orchid Kelvin64, MiroCrystal 12SD, Spea Mirage P64) all work well and with my old Eizo L568 an S1921 except the SPEA. It always tried to drive the TFT with 78Hz what resulted in an input frequency error. I sold it a few years ago..

Dell Optiplex GL5100 | Pentium 100 | S3 Trio64V+ 2MB onboard | 64MB EDO | WDAC2850 | FX810 | OPTi 82C929 + NEC XR385
Dell Optiplex 466LE | am486 DX5 133 | CL-GD5429 1MB onboard | 8MB FPM | WDAC2540 | FX400 | HOT-235 + DB50XG

Reply 61 of 80, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

TRIDENT vs CIRRUS LOGIC for 286 PC, what would you suggest?

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 62 of 80, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cirrus Logic purely on reputation alone from me. I have heard of scrolling issues with Trident cards and since those are the main types of games you would play on a 286 (I think correct, me if I am wrong) the Cirrus Logic would be the "logical" choice.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 63 of 80, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ODwilly wrote:

Cirrus Logic purely on reputation alone from me. I have heard of scrolling issues with Trident cards and since those are the main types of games you would play on a 286 (I think correct, me if I am wrong) the Cirrus Logic would be the "logical" choice.

i think the same but is always good to listen to other opinion 😎

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 64 of 80, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Godlike wrote:

I'd suggest to
- open a new thread with a descriptive title (e.g.: "Video card recommendation for 286 PC"). This topic is about VESA local bus cards, which won't fit in a 286 computer.
- state exactly which video card models you have in mind, also more info about the PC would help.
- tell us what you want to do with the setup (e.g.: which games you want to play).

Not wanting to sound rude, but with a question like the one you posted above you are unlikely to get a well-founded answer.

Reply 65 of 80, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
5u3 wrote:
I'd suggest to - open a new thread with a descriptive title (e.g.: "Video card recommendation for 286 PC"). This topic is about […]
Show full quote
Godlike wrote:

I'd suggest to
- open a new thread with a descriptive title (e.g.: "Video card recommendation for 286 PC"). This topic is about VESA local bus cards, which won't fit in a 286 computer.
- state exactly which video card models you have in mind, also more info about the PC would help.
- tell us what you want to do with the setup (e.g.: which games you want to play).

Not wanting to sound rude, but with a question like the one you posted above you are unlikely to get a well-founded answer.

That's well-founded answer already 😊 Actually this isn't something important to me to open new thread, I won't pollute Vogons. Finally I went into offtop. During my other builds I get parts from 80 era and decided to build 286 for games like Wolf3D or Montezuma's Revenge. I will do more research myself than bother other. Thank for help anyway

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 66 of 80, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Godlike wrote:

Cirrus Logic over Trident. Trident was bargain basement back in the day. I had a Trident VL-Bus card in my 486 because it was the only one I could afford after paying for a VL-Bus motherboard and 80mhz DX2 CPU. They were always among the slowest, if not the slowest, in benchmark testing but they were cheap. I wouldn't imagine their ISA cards were any better.

Reply 67 of 80, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
Godlike wrote:

Cirrus Logic over Trident. Trident was bargain basement back in the day. I had a Trident VL-Bus card in my 486 because it was the only one I could afford after paying for a VL-Bus motherboard and 80mhz DX2 CPU. They were always among the slowest, if not the slowest, in benchmark testing but they were cheap. I wouldn't imagine their ISA cards were any better.

That's all I need, thanks for the answer. I am curious of Cirrus Logic from beginning. Please tell me if any other manufacturer is over Cirrus for 286 era

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 69 of 80, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On 286-16 there is about 5% difference between Trident 8900 and Tseng ET4000 - tested with 3Dbench 1.0. So not really a major issue.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 70 of 80, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tseng >Cirrus Logic >Trident
or
Cirrus Logic >Tseng >Trident

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 71 of 80, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It really depends on many factors. Different chipsets and board implementations have an impact on speed (which really doesn't matter much on a 286), compatibility, signal quality, etc...

For example, if you wanted to play CGA games on your 286 and have it properly emulated, the ranking would be like
Trident > Tseng > Cirrus Logic

For Wolf3D it would probably look like this:
Cirrus Logic = Tseng > Trident

Reply 72 of 80, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found two cards which are for sale:
Cirrus Logic CL-GD5429-86QC-B
and
Cirrus Logic CL-GD5420-75QC-C

There is no more specifications about them, I think the first one is 1Mb and second is 512kB but not sure, anyone know?
I think they are OK to go with

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 73 of 80, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CL-GD5429 is an overkill for 286. It's better suited for fast 386 or 486 with ISA only. On the other hand CL-GD5420 isn't anything special and it is more on par with Trident 8900.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 74 of 80, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

286 will run CL-GD5429 ? Anyone try it? I know is fast enough (1meg probably). I don't want to be disappointed if 286 coudn't handle it

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 75 of 80, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my mind a 286 is about at it's limit with VGA anyway, almost any card would be good enough.

Mine won't take TSeng ET4000's, faster Tridents (Past 8900) or later ATI cards... I use an Everex but you probably won't find one of those.

As far as I know Cirrus generally had good compatibility but I've never tried one in mine, though I imagine you'd be fine with the slower one if you want to play it safe as the CPU and memory are likely to be the bottleneck in such a machine.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 76 of 80, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, I'm bumping my own thread here, but be that as it may.
My VLB conversion project kind of got sidelined due to the VBL motherboard I'd bought turning out to be DOA. Always a risk with those "It's been sitting in a box for years, buy at your own risk" things.
I've also had to focus on health issues before getting back into playing around with old hardware. But things are better now, so time to get back to it 😀

I've ordered a QDI V4P895P3 motherboard now, which the seller promises is working, even showing screenshots of benchmarks running on it. Better still, the complete manual is sitting in PDF format on my HD, so this should be a welcome chance from my previous 486 boards. I've had no documentation for either the apparently faulty VLB board or my working PCI board.
I just wanted to post because I'm really excited and can't wait for the new board to get here, so I can try out my Vision864.

Oh, and all Vogoners are awesome 😀

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 77 of 80, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Godlike wrote:

I think you need to know which chipset it uses.. You cant just compare two brands on regular base.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 78 of 80, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LunarG wrote:
Right, I'm bumping my own thread here, but be that as it may. My VLB conversion project kind of got sidelined due to the VBL mot […]
Show full quote

Right, I'm bumping my own thread here, but be that as it may.
My VLB conversion project kind of got sidelined due to the VBL motherboard I'd bought turning out to be DOA. Always a risk with those "It's been sitting in a box for years, buy at your own risk" things.
I've also had to focus on health issues before getting back into playing around with old hardware. But things are better now, so time to get back to it 😀

I've ordered a QDI V4P895P3 motherboard now, which the seller promises is working, even showing screenshots of benchmarks running on it. Better still, the complete manual is sitting in PDF format on my HD, so this should be a welcome chance from my previous 486 boards. I've had no documentation for either the apparently faulty VLB board or my working PCI board.
I just wanted to post because I'm really excited and can't wait for the new board to get here, so I can try out my Vision864.

Oh, and all Vogoners are awesome 😀

Can you upload that manual on vogonsdrivers.com?

Can you also tell which which software you want to use for doing these benchmarks.. I have very much VLB graphics card myself.. Maybe i can help as well to make that list more completer.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 79 of 80, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

Can you upload that manual on vogonsdrivers.com?

Can you also tell which which software you want to use for doing these benchmarks.. I have very much VLB graphics card myself.. Maybe i can help as well to make that list more completer.

I don't think I've got access to upload to vogonsdrivers?
It's not hard to find though. This --> http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/qdi/895p3s5.pdf is the URL I found it on.

As for benchmarking the system when it's up and running. We'll, I'll follow the list of benchmarks on Phil's Ultimate VGA Benchmark Database.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.