VOGONS

First post, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could anyone recommend a good serial mouse? There are a number to choose from e.g. on eBay, and I have a feeling most of them are garbage. I'd like ideally a quality mouse which is as modern as possible but which happens to be a serial mouse. This is obviously for retro gaming purposes. A combo mouse is also possible (i.e. a PS/2 mouse that actually supports serial with a passive PS/2 to serial adapter). What do you guys use?

Reply 1 of 19, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

lookup microsoft ball mouse on ebay. I see enough are still around state-side.

Loved mine back in the day.

If you move to USB with PS/2 adapter I'd recommend the microsoft intellimouse optical. No cleaning the rollers FTW.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 2 of 19, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Deleted. No longer relevant anyway)

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2019-10-27, 19:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 3 of 19, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00002MZ8E/ref= … 4294092-1842351

I have a couple of these...one of the best serial ball mice I have ever used because it is nice and big and fits my hand comfortably...I got two new in the box and they came with serial to ps2 adapters. Nice to have the scroll feature too if you are using with win9x or xp too. Just keep in kind the wireless range is not too far...you probably will have to stay within a couple feet of the receiver. I wish this thing was optical...it would be the best mouse ever made IMO if that was the case...it is built very solid too..doesn't feel cheap at all. If you have small hands I would not recommend it though.

Reply 4 of 19, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I would use a roller ball mouse and not an optical mouse, those things were always twitchy for me. Even on my modern PC it always seemed too sensitive.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 5 of 19, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Personally I would use a roller ball mouse and not an optical mouse, those things were always twitchy for me. Even on my modern PC it always seemed too sensitive.

I always have found roller mice to be annoyingly insensitive. But now I use a logitech trackman trackball.
But that won't help the OP.

On my 486, I use a serial mouse that just says "Z-NIX INC" on it

Reply 6 of 19, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want to use a serial trackball get a Digital Research Ergo 3 button Trackball.

3_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7y6o31.jpg

4_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7y6o3i.jpg

However like the others already posted before an ordinary 2 button Microsoft Mouse will work fine since it is Serial.

Reply 7 of 19, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Microsoft mouse 2.0 or a Logitech M-M34 mouse are what I used in the past and even today.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 9 of 19, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have used both ms and logitech mouse in the past as well.
They are excellent quality and build.
For the trackball's, I have tried logitech as well.

They (logitech trackball) wary in quality and most have died well before any serial mouse.
Seems as if they just have some defect's around the rollers.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10 of 19, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote:
Did anyone used one of those? […]
Show full quote

Did anyone used one of those?

microsoft-easyball.jpg

Yeah.... Microsoft, designed for children.... 94/95 or 96 ?
Low dpi and died pretty fast. Have tried it for 1 hour back then.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12 of 19, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really like Genius / Logitech mice from the early days. I also have a generic 9PIN serial mouse that works fine. I really dislike trackballs: they make my hand very tired as it takes too much energy to move them around.

Reply 13 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have always like Logitech MouseMan mice. They came in serial, ps/2, and hybrid flavours. They are trackball-based though. I still use the PS/2 version of the mouse today on my main computer. I think the Compaq and Dell rebranded MouseMan mice were ps/2-only, while the Logitech branded ones came in the various flavours. I have used the same style mouse continually from 1998 to present.

Attachments

• MouseMan-Serial.jpg
    Filename
    MouseMan-Serial.jpg
    File size
    8.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 15 of 19, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CST still manufactures a 3-button serial trackball, it seems: http://www.trackballworld.com/40-122.html

40-122.jpg

If it's anything like their LaserTrac, it's pretty amazing.

Reply 16 of 19, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree with the trackball suggestions.
I stopped using mice many years ago after getting adjusted to one... and from my memory most serial mice are terrible for the most part.

Reply 17 of 19, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Meh personally I could never get used to trackballs. I own 2 though because they were only a few bucks each and they were complete in the original packaging. I just keep them around mainly as an oddity to put on a shelf.

Reply 18 of 19, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are fed up with polishing mice's balls, the Q500 serial OPTICAL is the way to go:

q500serial.jpg
Filename
q500serial.jpg
File size
18.05 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The only drawback is the small, proprietary mouse pad (but it can be replicated). Well, maybe the lack of the wheel as well. But only for high-end 486s / 5x86s running W95.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 19 of 19, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Meh personally I could never get used to trackballs. I own 2 though because they were only a few bucks each and they were complete in the original packaging. I just keep them around mainly as an oddity to put on a shelf.

I can't really get used to a "center panned" track ball. But my logitech trackman uses a thumb wheel.
It is awesome once you get used to it. I wish there were more input devices that used that style