VOGONS

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty much the title, I live in North Carolina, couldn't find any PCs at my local PC shop (found one and it was filled with dirt and the Hard drive was screwed.) So does anyone know a good place to find a good Pentium PC?

Reply 1 of 11, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got my recent acquisitions from Craigslist and eBay. Check your area for local auction companies too. They'll have an email or even snail mail list you can sign up for. Keep an eye out for business liquidations. A few years back I got boxes and boxes of stuff from a local university clearing out old hardware from their IT department at auction. I hear recycling centers are good places, but I've never tried it myself.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 2 of 11, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nekurahoka wrote:

I got my recent acquisitions from Craigslist and eBay. Check your area for local auction companies too. They'll have an email or even snail mail list you can sign up for. Keep an eye out for business liquidations. A few years back I got boxes and boxes of stuff from a local university clearing out old hardware from their IT department at auction. I hear recycling centers are good places, but I've never tried it myself.

Craigslist nothing is really cheap on there <75$ for a P3
eBay is the same thing.
I'm not really old enough to drive yet and I'm pretty sure I can't get anyone to drive me to a recycling center.

Reply 3 of 11, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if your patient you can find insanely good deals. not so much for big things on ebay because shipping always costs a huge amount but I've found so much retro PC stuff on Craigslist for $1-$25. baring that try asking friends/family if they have old unused PC's in the closet. try yard sales, mom and pop thrifts and flea markets as well.

Reply 4 of 11, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Craigslist is your best bet for a cheap old PC, but you'll need to be patient. Set up some search bookmarks and check every day. Also, don't limit your searches to just the computer section. Sometimes, people don't know what they're selling or how to list things on CL. Search the entire for-sale section.

Just two weeks ago I bought a Dell Dimension 4100 for $10 from a guy on CL. I found it by searching for the word "computer" and a price range of 0 to $50. Be creative and patient.

Reply 5 of 11, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For cheap computer equipments. I would say Craigslist too.
Just been sniffing around there too. Mostly in the states there is some deals.
I guess it's just too late to expand into Denmark, as we have had two big sites
for the last 20+ years.

Anyway...
Good hunting. Wish you luck.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6 of 11, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

eBay
Craigslist
eBay Classifieds
American Listed
Freecycle
Bonanza
Vintage Computer Forum
AmiBay
CPU World

Place physical ads @ churches', community centers' and so on bulletin boards as well. A lot of people are not connected but may have stuff to help you out with. Phone metal / recycling places and ask them. A lot of those guys are also not good with email / internet but fine to speak with in person.

You can still find good deals on eBay when you search based on distance to your ZIP code. I have bought many (and occasionally still do) PCs for <= $75 each.

Reply 7 of 11, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you ever find yourself near a thrift store, check in there, you might get lucky. Also any local PC repair shops. There's no certainty but you just have to keep looking when you get the opportunities. Apartment dumpsters also.

The dirty PC you found might have still worked. Bad hard drives aren't surprising on an old machine that's maybe been banged around a lot. You might have to find a good hard drive separately, I wouldn't let that stop you if the rest of the machine is good and the price is cheap enough.

Reply 8 of 11, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thrift stores, local classifieds, eBay, Craigslist, even the local dump/transfer station can be really good places to find vintage PCs. Though, with eBay and any other online sites like eBay, you will have to be very patient in order to find a good deal. And with the local dump, you should ask around to see if you are allowed to take electronics of any kind from the dump.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 9 of 11, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the goal is to just find a system that can run Windows 9X then you could also consider a socket 478 system.
Although overkill speedwise they are easier to find and the only drawbacks are the lack of ISA and 3.3V AGP support.

But perhaps a Pentium 4 dosnt give the same retro feeling? 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 10 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you don't have anything against the big brands try adding searching for their products. EG searching ebay for a Deskpro 2000 brings up a 166 MMX Pc that isn't in the results for Pentium MMX.
Plus OEM are usually cheaper

Reply 11 of 11, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Attics, basements, storage sheds, just ask people you know if they have any old computers that they arent using anymore. I have found a Pentium machine in a basement and a Pentium in an attic. Got two Pentium 3's from a neighbor who didn't want them anymore (standardizing to 64bit, traded him a 754 Athlon 64 machine) and you just never know what you will end up with when it gets around that you work on computers. Got a text from a friend asking me if I was interested in an athlon DR2 dualcore system minus ram and HDD for free today.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1