386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 6 of 16, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you ever heard of eBay rules? Well, here is the #1: Always make sure to remind a seller to pack it well and secure.

Last edited by Dreamer_of_the_past on 2014-12-11, 13:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 16, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

Have you ever heard of eBay rules? Well, here is the #1: Always make sure to remind a seller pack it well and secure.

I request this everytime! Had too much trouble with damaged hardware. Crushed CD-ROM drives, crushed floppy drives, crushed speaker, various sound/graphics cards with the capacitors snapped off and the list goes on. All these damaged items were sent in padded bags or envelopes. When I sell stuff, I'd rather make a slight loss on postage and send it in a well protected box to ensure its safe arrival.

I mean, snapped ram! Really?! Is it that hard to place the ram between some thick cardboard and give it a few layers of bubble wrap? Pisses me off to be honest.

Reply 10 of 16, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's impressive. Musta been cold temps + someone jumping on them for a bit.

Gota Love UPS\USPS. They do the craziest things. For example I ordered some Arctic Ceramic once alone as a single item order. It went UPS innovations which then inturn got dropped off as USPS 3rd class mail. It went on tour of the USA, for a month. Pretty much made 4 complete laps before finally arriving. It had tracking so I could watch it.... The funny thing is UPS dropped it off at the USPS hub closest to me, they could of just drove down the road and gave it to me. Never order from any shipper that uses UPS INNOVATIONS, Fedex smartsaver\shipper.
If that woulda been ram I'd expected it to arrive in the same state.

Reply 12 of 16, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote:

Have ordered ram before shipped in a plain old envelope, in fact, I've insisted on it to save shipping costs, has always arrived in good working condition.

It doesn't mean much, it all depends on people who transport your package and mostly on your mail man. If you prefer to take your chances, so be it.

Reply 13 of 16, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Couple of points guys:

#1, It wasn't off Ebay, I ordered it from a guy on a different forum and he shipped it from Canada to the USA to me.
#2, He put it in an envelope between 2 pieces of cardboard. As a matter of fact he packed it SO well (other than the fact it was in an envelope) that I think his way of packing it probably hurt it more than it helped. Here is what he did:

He put the sticks in an anti-static bag, lined them up next to each other, taped both ends AND the center (where it was cracked), sandwiched that in between 2 pieces of cardboard, and stapled it all together. Then he put it in an envelope.

It was so tightly packed that the ram had no "breathing" room, so basically anything that made the envelope flex at all, the ram flexed with it. This is the result.

Some more pics for the curious

30m5s79.jpg
nqeh5d.jpg

I've sent him these pics and the Paypal refund showed up and is "Pending". My question though, am I obligated to return this or should I just toss it? If I do have to return it, would I just re-pack it and label it "return to sender" or what? it's a shame too because I really wanted this ram. 😵

Reply 15 of 16, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like a fluke incident, but wrapping the RAM too tight might have also been a critical error they made. I wouldn't hold it against them as long as they aren't unreasonable to deal with. I've bought RAM from online sellers dozens of times, many people don't bother to pad them at all, and I've never seen this happen. International shipping probably takes more abuse though.

I don't know what the "Pending" status is there for. I've sent people refunds countless times and I've never been told that the status showed as "Pending".
If it were a formal Paypal dispute, I think they might require you to return the items, but I'm not certain.
It sounds like this isn't a formal Paypal dispute though. It's a refund that he agreed to send you, isn't it? If it's a voluntary refund then Paypal isn't really dictating anything here, so it's just up to whatever you've agreed with the seller.
If you're able to resolve the issue without invoking a Paypal dispute, that's preferable. It avoids bureaucracy and keeps things simple for both sides. It also avoids putting derogatory marks on their Paypal account, so the seller won't be seriously threatened and they won't feel the need to be as defensive in dealing with the problem. Disputes are better reserved for sellers who refuse to resolve the issue.

I'm not sure what the rules are for "return to sender", but I think it wouldn't be allowed since it's a few days after delivery and it's been opened. If you can do RTS, then I think it would be less reliable and take longer to get delivered. Whenever I've had something returned to me by USPS, it took forever to happen. It's way slower than forward shipping. If you do this, affix the notation with a label that covers your address and can't rub or fall off. If it rubs off, it will float back to you again.

Shipping to Canada has gotten very expensive unfortunately. It something like doubled overnight. I don't know what happened to US/Canada "free trade" but it seems to be a joke. The border is still a huge barrier, both in time and expense.
What I find nuts is that people in China are shipping items to the US for 99cents and "free" shipping. You can't even send a package domestically for less than twice that much.

Reply 16 of 16, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote:

Shipping to Canada has gotten very expensive unfortunately. It something like doubled overnight. I don't know what happened to US/Canada "free trade" but it seems to be a joke. The border is still a huge barrier, both in time and expense.
What I find nuts is that people in China are shipping items to the US for 99cents and "free" shipping. You can't even send a package domestically for less than twice that much.

If it's any consolation, shipping from Canada to the US is even more expensive. 😵