VOGONS

First post, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, I'm at it again, I can't help myself. Especially finding a case that really caught my eyes, I knew one of the many motherboards I had laying around needed a wonderful home. Now I still have my previous project I need to start on soon, that I started here: Motherboard Choices, what to pick for my new old stock AT case...

Most people voted 486 motherboard for that tower, but one member here voted on the OCTEK Rhino 9 Motherboard with a Intel Pentium 166MHz processor with 32MB RAM. So I decided to use this very motherboard in this current project!

So we start out with the Techmedia case, I even got the original box for this bad boy out in the garage still!
IMG_3374-1000.jpg

Earlier picture of the motherboard:
IMG_2622-800px.jpg

Well, nothing has really changed for this board at this point still on this current picture. 🤣
IMG_3375-1000.jpg

Then I collected a few cards to pick and choose from, and I also realize I need to buy more optical and floppy drives. 🤣
IMG_3376-1000.jpg

I then decided to open up the case, and it's extremely clean inside, the box to the left behind the PSU is the amplifier for the built in speakers, and it even has a wire specifically for the PC speaker header on the motherboard!
IMG_3377-1000.jpg

So I prepped the motherboard, first for a test fit to see what all I needed to do, and I noticed I would need to have my IDE cables hooked up before I install the board, not a big deal, it worked out just fine! Juuuust enough clearance between the board and the 5.25" bay!
IMG_3378-1000.jpg

Then I got to thinking, I have a spare stick of cache I never ever got to use... I've had it for a long time, so after I find it, I put it in! Now from 256k to 512k of total cache! I looked into the manual for the motherboard I found online, and it didn't require any jumper settings, it said it was automatic for this.
IMG_3379-1000.jpg

So now I got the ATI Rage LT Pro 8MB graphics card inserted, along with the Diamoned 3DFX Voodoo card, then the 3Com Etherlink PCI card in, and my SoundBlaster AWE64 Value card. Not to forget some of the add-in brackets to connect to the motherboard headers!
IMG_3380-1000.jpg

Then of course, the view of the back side, who can ever resist these? 🤣
IMG_3381-1000px.jpg

Then there she is, all powered up!
IMG_3382-1000.jpg

Oh, and I ended up cheating a little bit, my 6GB harddrive already had Windows 95 installed off my Pentium Pro machine I never fully completed... but it worked out well in here. I intended to install Windows 95 fresh but it worked out so well, I decided not to worry. Especially since it had the same GPU drivers needed. All I really had to do was let it install new drivers, which was mostly well automated. Only needed the Windows 95 CD-ROM when it called up the 3COM adapter. 😎

IMG_3384-1000.jpg

Overall I'm quite pleased. This will be my second official Windows 95 rig, only things I need to work on is replacing that bottom 5.25" to 3.5" bay drive holder with a cover plate, and a floppy drive to match the case better. Something unyellowed. 😀

I think I'm ready to put the cover right back on for the time being!

Reply 1 of 48, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome build! Those cases are SO cool, I never end up having audio hooked up due to the hassle of setting up speakers. Having actual speakers built in seems REALLY convenient. As far as a replacement white floppy drive goes I would suggest keeping an eye out for something pulled out of a early 2000's Pentium 3 or p4. By that time the cases seemed to be actually white and not eggshell. Mine came out of Gateways 😀 you can never have to many Pentiums! Build a couple more and you can do some really neat Windows 95 LAN partys, Outlaws comes to mind as a fun game to do that with.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3 of 48, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ODwilly wrote:

Awesome build! Those cases are SO cool, I never end up having audio hooked up due to the hassle of setting up speakers. Having actual speakers built in seems REALLY convenient. As far as a replacement white floppy drive goes I would suggest keeping an eye out for something pulled out of a early 2000's Pentium 3 or p4. By that time the cases seemed to be actually white and not eggshell. Mine came out of Gateways 😀 you can never have to many Pentiums! Build a couple more and you can do some really neat Windows 95 LAN partys, Outlaws comes to mind as a fun game to do that with.

This would be the second case I have with built in speakers. Sure, they may not be anything special compared to higher end external speakers, but this will always have a cool factor to me, and like you said... there are hassles involved in setting up speakers.

Hmm yeah I need to keep an eye out then!

Hahaha, well I've already accomplished the possibility of LAN with DOS games like Descent. So why not take it a step further? 😎

leileilol wrote:

PHEW! Since the last computer I thought you were skimping out on your dark elf case badges for a sec.

🤣

Well, he's technically a wolf hybrid but the badge thing I didn't get around to printing and cutting a label. I did that on the other cases since they did have actual badge spots. 😎

I may end up going with the same drawing of my character I use on my twitter page though. https://twitter.com/ReeseRiverson/

Reply 4 of 48, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Really cool build. I love that case! Built in speakers would really save on space and those don't look dinky. Did it come with the expansion slot pass-through for the speaker lines?

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 5 of 48, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nekurahoka wrote:

Really cool build. I love that case! Built in speakers would really save on space and those don't look dinky. Did it come with the expansion slot pass-through for the speaker lines?

They do seem pretty decent for what it is. They have a bass, treble, and balance control as well. Yeah, it did come with the pass-through bracket. 😀

Reply 6 of 48, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is a nice looking AT desktop case.
Not sure I'd want speakers like that inside a computer case, tho.
I'd knock out those serial\parallel back-plates, and move take them off the slot brackets and put them there to free up a slot for a, slot case fan or even just a slot vent bracket. You got enough room it looks like to put all four on those I/O cutouts, the 2 serial ports - PS\2 and the parallel.
That would give you 2 slots back.

Reply 8 of 48, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nah, I'd just never use case speakers, they'd be super redundant for me.
I usually route the beeper speaker output into the soundcard too if given the chance 🤣.

I really would move those slots and just use those slots for ventilation with some perforated covers.
If nothing else, as AT cases can get warm.

Reply 10 of 48, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yea you have no real airflow in that case, and it looks like a voodoo card too.
I'd have a vent bracket next to that, if not a PCI slot fan of some-type preferably a quiet one.
Just my opinion. I like keeping my systems cool if at all possible.

Reply 11 of 48, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah there is a Voodoo card.

Oh that's very well understandable. I never was too sure how warm it would get in there, I'll take a look around and see if I can find any PCI slot fans. 😀

Reply 13 of 48, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlphaWing wrote:

I'm actually surprised your case has vents on the sides of the cover being AT.
That is a good thing for a desktop case.
Good luck with it!

Yeah, if you look at this picture closely, to the right, you will see the cover on the floor. The side that is where the motherboard is, is fully vented:

IMG_3377-1000.jpg

Though either case, I will see about taking the opportunity in adding a fan to help. 😀

And thanks!

Reply 14 of 48, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great build! Very cool case. I agree with AlphaWing about knocking out those serial\parallel back-plates, and moving the ports from the slot brackets.

I would also maybe go with a 5.25 floppy drive on the bottom since you already have a 3.5" FDD on the top.

Reply 15 of 48, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retrofanatic wrote:

Great build! Very cool case. I agree with AlphaWing about knocking out those serial\parallel back-plates, and moving the ports from the slot brackets.

I would also maybe go with a 5.25 floppy drive on the bottom since you already have a 3.5" FDD on the top.

I did consider a 5.25" floppy drive, but I'm kinda out of those. 😢

Reply 18 of 48, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ReeseRiverson wrote:
retrofanatic wrote:

I did consider a 5.25" floppy drive, but I'm kinda out of those. 😢

Ya, I know what you mean. I have only a couple left...they are getting much harder to find.

I think I missed the boat with 5.25" floppy drives. At one point they were everywhere and everyone was just throwing them away and I never thought to just buy them when they were cheaper and more plentiful.

Reply 19 of 48, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlphaWing wrote:
Nah, I'd just never use case speakers, they'd be super redundant for me. I usually route the beeper speaker output into the soun […]
Show full quote

Nah, I'd just never use case speakers, they'd be super redundant for me.
I usually route the beeper speaker output into the soundcard too if given the chance 🤣.

I really would move those slots and just use those slots for ventilation with some perforated covers.
If nothing else, as AT cases can get warm.

are there any old 8 bit cards like the old sound blasters where you can route the speaker to them? that would be a heck of a lot more useful for older pc's then newer retro pc's. Id throw a sound card into a PC class machine just for speaker routing if that was an option since most of the games being played on it are pc speaker only and this can be an issue when you want to play in the dead of night and people are sleeping. funny how random loud beeps and boops can anger sleeping girlfriend/spouses.