VOGONS

First post, by kataniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm especially interested in FPS measuring in Strike Commander, Privateer and System Shock.

Does anybody know about a program that can run in TSR mode or something like that to accomplish that task?

Dell Optiplex GL5100 | Pentium 100 | S3 Trio64V+ 2MB onboard | 64MB EDO | WDAC2850 | FX810 | OPTi 82C929 + NEC XR385
Dell Optiplex 466LE | am486 DX5 133 | CL-GD5429 1MB onboard | 8MB FPM | WDAC2540 | FX400 | HOT-235 + DB50XG

Reply 1 of 22, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AFAIK that is impossible. DOS games access the video memory directly and every video mode works differenty. If the software uses page flipping, you could try intercepting the functions (though that would be more complicated if the BIOS is skipped and the function is used directly), but if it draws directly to the visible page or through double buffering I don't thing there is any reliable way to calculate the FPS count.

Reply 2 of 22, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It works this way:
You capture the output at the display rate that is 70 fps without frame drops. Then you analyse the difference of subsequent frames. Whenever the frame changes there is a spike in the difference compared to the analog noise background. The rate of those spikes are your fps.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 22, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unless the game does VSYNC this method could interpret half-drawn frames (during tearing and such) as full ones, making this very innacurate. Also, in scenes where there is little movement it might be a bit difficult to tell what is a frame and what is pure noise. It is also interesting to note that this method can`t measure FPS higher than the refresh rate (wich is necessary for performance comparisons between graphics cards, etc.). And last, this would require another machine. Clumsy and innacurate, but to be fair this is probably the best thing possible.

Reply 4 of 22, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually with a bit more analysis this can be done even for source material where vsync is off. I wanted to sketch just the basic principle.
I did this already with a capture of screamer rally for vetz using MSI on a Mystique and it worked out nicely.
This shows the few lines of code as well as the difference graph and fps graph.
ftp://78.46.141.148/pictures/vetz/fps_graph.png
Here the difference is zoomed in to see the analog noise line:
ftp://78.46.141.148/pictures/vetz/fps_graph2.png

Of course it is not suited for actual benchmarking where "hidden" frames also play a role. But this was not the question here.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 5 of 22, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is a game i am very interested in. What frames did you get and which hardware did you use for screamer rally?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6 of 22, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As the goal was just to get a capture using the MSI render interface I used my default benchtable. It is a P3 800 MHz on a Gigabyte GA-6BXU. As graphics card I tried a Matrox Mystique and Matrox Mystique 220. Both gave the exact same result as expected.
You can find the capture here: ftp://78.46.141.148/videos/screamerrally.mkv
This is hardware accelerated in DOS using Matroxs MSI render interface. The Mystique does not support bilinear filtering.

From the already linked fps graph you can see that the frame rate is between 30 and 40 fps, sometimes reaching 50 fps.
The actual recommended requirement is a Pentium 133 MHz.

Youtube Channel

Reply 7 of 22, by kataniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hoped there was a software solution. Seems as I don't have the right hardware to perform this task 😉 But thanks anyway.

Dell Optiplex GL5100 | Pentium 100 | S3 Trio64V+ 2MB onboard | 64MB EDO | WDAC2850 | FX810 | OPTi 82C929 + NEC XR385
Dell Optiplex 466LE | am486 DX5 133 | CL-GD5429 1MB onboard | 8MB FPM | WDAC2540 | FX400 | HOT-235 + DB50XG

Reply 8 of 22, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

so, no glide unfortunately.

40-50 fps is not a lot, considering the very fast cpu. It ''feels'' a lot faster on a voodoo3 and p3 700 but i am not sure, that's why i was interested 😀

Thanks!

Reply 9 of 22, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Of course a Voodoo3 (1999) is a lot faster than a Matrox Mystique (1996) in the GPU limit.

Youtube Channel

Reply 10 of 22, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes, i know.

Just wondering which 3dfx card it would take to get the game at a steady 60fps and which cpu aproximately.

Reply 11 of 22, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:

Just wondering which 3dfx card it would take to get the game at a steady 60fps and which cpu aproximately.

Not much, a Pentium 166-200 and a Voodoo1 and you'll get well above 30fps.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 12 of 22, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Links are not dead, is somewhere more info about this topic?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 14 of 22, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vvbee wrote:

For datapath capture cards, vcs has the functionality elianda describes. Also elimination of tearing, though the other issues mentioned by alexanrs apply. It's also open source.

So you want to measure DOS FPS you have to use Datapath and Epiphan cards only?

Is somewhere some example of output? I mean could he results back rendered to original picture as overlay to show some realtime Fraps like stats along with original picture? or its just text files, is there some framerate curve in the time etc?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 15 of 22, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For vcs, the code to display that information is there: https://github.com/leikareipa/vcs/blob/6e038a … filter.cpp#L184. How it ends up looking is up to you, but by default it's in the fraps format of yellow text at the top of the screen.

Reply 16 of 22, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ruthan wrote:
vvbee wrote:

For datapath capture cards, vcs has the functionality elianda describes. Also elimination of tearing, though the other issues mentioned by alexanrs apply. It's also open source.

So you want to measure DOS FPS you have to use Datapath and Epiphan cards only?

My simple approach used an already captured stream for analysis and is not dependent on what kind of capture card you use.

Youtube Channel

Reply 17 of 22, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vvbee wrote:

For vcs, the code to display that information is there: https://github.com/leikareipa/vcs/blob/6e038a … filter.cpp#L184. How it ends up looking is up to you, but by default it's in the fraps format of yellow text at the top of the screen.

I already was there more than once, but its too low level / incomplete for me, at the top of description are mentioned Datapath cards, so i through that is only for them and the nothing like final output sample video, some step by step process how to capture/evaluate framerate / detailed features description (it would be good motivation to get some new capture card) etc.. And at linked page - http://tarpeeksihyvaesoft.com/soft/ is again mentioned that it is for Datapath.
Its nice that there is mentioned how to build it or that it runs in virtual machine in Linux, but from whole 1 screenshot is clear that there are lots of other feature, btw does it run it Vmware / Virtualbox?

My simple approach used an already captured stream for analysis and is not dependent on what kind of capture card you use.

That nice, because i though that it some fancy capture cards club thigh only, i know that in previous post is outlined that process in highlevel, maybe its enough for skilled guys, but i would new some step by step tutorial which tool to use and on which button click.. some screenshots, or how to video and example of outputs.. Because to be honest, from information so far i didnt know if out is just same csv text files with numbers or some screenshot with graphs, or video with overlay etc.

Reply 18 of 22, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:

I already was there more than once, but its too low level / incomplete for me, at the top of description are mentioned Datapath cards, so i through that is only for them and the nothing like final output sample video, some step by step process how to capture/evaluate framerate / detailed features description (it would be good motivation to get some new capture card) etc.. And at linked page - http://tarpeeksihyvaesoft.com/soft/ is again mentioned that it is for Datapath.
Its nice that there is mentioned how to build it or that it runs in virtual machine in Linux, but from whole 1 screenshot is clear that there are lots of other feature, btw does it run it Vmware / Virtualbox?.

Good documentation is great to have, but also takes considerable effort to create and maintain. I'd like to see wider adoption of vcs to justify the work on that front.

My experience is that the visionrgb hardware won't work in virtualbox, but that said, pci passthrough in virtualbox is experimental and possibly limited to linux hosts. Haven't tried vmware.

Reply 19 of 22, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vvbee wrote:

Good documentation is great to have, but also takes considerable effort to create and maintain. I'd like to see wider adoption of vcs to justify the work on that front.

I would say that is chicken / egg problem.. you dont need of walls of text, but in my eyes most important for users is really to see some footage example, clarify which cards are and arent supported.. you should add more bold claims about features (for example that is only existing DOS FPS capturing automated tool etc).. and average users not really care how to build it from source code, when is binary already available.

BTW is mighty Phil, using your solution for his Dos framerate measurement? Because if he does it would be great for advertising..