VOGONS

First post, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I'm getting things ready for my little Gateway 2000 desktop... here he is with his big brother. 🤣

IMG_0324-1000px.jpg

Yeah, little bro and big bro is what I end up calling the two. So with that said, it's got a 486SX CPU, running at 25MHz. 3MB of ram. Absolutely no cache... no tag ram... nothing of the sort.

So won't this basically behave like a 386 or something? Should I consider adding cache/Tag? And what would be compatible with this board? I have no clue what chips would be.

There's a row of sockets for the chips near the CPU and BIOS chip. Then behind the raiser card there's like a tag ram slot and some other socket for a shorter chip.

IMG_0315-1000px.jpg

I plan to add a bit more RAM, but I'm not sure what's compatible. some spare sticks I have here aren't compatible, it seems.

Other than that, I've installed my ESS AudioDrive ES1688F card in, and it works out nicely that I can tell. I plan to install my 3Com ethernet card. When I get the parts in, I'll have a CF card slot installed on the back.

I'm also planning to find a SCSI ISA card with an external SCSI port so I could use external CD ROM drives and anything else possible. 😀

I did have to replace the 3.5" floppy drive, it seems like it wasn't really working right. I didn't get to check the 5.25" one yet, though.

Reply 2 of 29, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

3MB... 🤣 That's a horrendously tiny amount of ram for a 486. I take it the onboard video uses up 1MB?

I'm not sure on the onboard video side of things, honestly. 🤣

Reply 3 of 29, by Billyray520

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First post here!
I like your build. You should definitely add cache and tag. I upped mine from 128k to 256k It allowed me to up my memory to 128 MB! I run Windows 95b in my Gateway 2000 P4D-66 tower with a DX-2 486 @ 66 Mhz. Windows runs nicely, and can even surf the interwebs with Opera 8 or IE 5.5.

Retro stuff owned since new

• 386 20Mhz 2MB DOS 3.3/PC-MOS 4.0
  • AMD 386 40Mhz 32MB Win 3.11 DOS 5.0
  • 486DX-2 66Mhz 128MB Win 95b
  • PIII 450Mhz 768MB Win 98SE
  • PIV 2Ghz 2GB Win XP/Ubuntu 10

Reply 4 of 29, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Billyray520 wrote:

First post here!
I like your build. You should definitely add cache and tag. I upped mine from 128k to 256k It allowed me to up my memory to 128 MB! I run Windows 95b in my Gateway 2000 P4D-66 tower with a DX-2 486 @ 66 Mhz. Windows runs nicely, and can even surf the interwebs with Opera 8 or IE 5.5.

Hey! Welcome to Vogons! 😀

Say, do you know what chips are compatible for tag and cache? I tried some off a random motherboard on mine, but it didn't want to boot fully. It hangs. And I did try the correct jumper settings.

I'd like to browse the internet for grins and giggles on a 486. 🤣

Reply 5 of 29, by Billyray520

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the welcome. 😊 Your Gateway is almost exactly 2 yrs. older than mine. (Mine is date coded 2/9/95) I doubt if your mobo has the same sram as mine. But for what its worth, I have "ISSI IS61C256A-20N (9323)" I added 4 chips to get the full 256k of cache. It looks like you have to add 8 chips? Have you determined the mobo make? For example, mine uses the Anigma board. But a lot of Gateways used the Micronics board.

Reply 6 of 29, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, it may be an Anigma board. Most I can find is it may be a LP48625SX model. All I found were jumper settings.

I'm having a hard time finding compatible RAM, since all my extra RAM sticks don't seem to be compatible, and also I wonder if those are the same ISSI chips I have. I have four of ISSI chips, and five of another kind. (Which I can't recall.) I'll have to check when I get home this afternoon from work.

Any particular chips needed for TAG? There's even a IC socket for DB RAM. shorter than the tag and cache sticks.

Reply 7 of 29, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a soft spot for Gateway 2000's. I am actually in the process of restoring my collection of Gateway 2000 systems to add to my "weekly build" series! I have the following Gateway 2000 systems:

Gateway 2000 4DX2/66 slim desktop
Gateway 2000 P5-60 Desktop #1
Gateway 2000 P5-60 Desktop #2
Gateway 2000 P5-75 Desktop
Gateway 2000 P5-75 Full Tower

Unfortunately, the soldered Dallas RTC in a couple of these is shot and I'd need to either coin-mod or resolder, but otherwise they are all great and definitely hold some nostalgic value to me!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 8 of 29, by Billyray520

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your Dallas RTC is not socketed?! That's surprising. My P4D-66 Gateway 2000 tower has a socket for it. The RTC is still available too. 😀 I have a pretty new one in mine, and it's been keeping excellent time.

Reply 10 of 29, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Billyray520 wrote:

Your Dallas RTC is not socketed?! That's surprising. My P4D-66 Gateway 2000 tower has a socket for it. The RTC is still available too. 😀 I have a pretty new one in mine, and it's been keeping excellent time.

Just checked and I'm pretty sure it's soldered. Any idea if this board has a 4-pin battery header? I don't see anything obvious..

9HVkVD.jpg
jd2Q3e.jpg
3hnjov.jpg
b1GoPl.jpg

My others:

qq7JpX.jpg
clBha6.jpg
xMSLT0.jpg
4AhYh7.jpg

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 12 of 29, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My grandfather (my fathers father) had a gateway but it was one of the later ones with the cow motif. I was always dazzled by his setup since it was more powerful than my fathers Packard Bell and he had invested in some serious sound hardware. I remember some sort of Dinosaur educational program that was super cool with digitized sound and stuff. The sound was so FULL and HUGE, it was just amazing.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 13 of 29, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i can almost get nostalgic with some of the photographic shots and the pics of the desktop with old software then i remember how slow the gateway 2000 i used was. The one computer i remember blowing me away was the "new" computer the daycare purchased, which knowing what i know now is a computer built and sold to and for the day care by the computer shop i now work at. it blew the gateway out of the water and played all the games we could throw at it.

Reply 14 of 29, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:
Billyray520 wrote:

Just checked and I'm pretty sure it's soldered. Any idea if this board has a 4-pin battery header? I don't see anything obvious..

You probably could desolder it and add a socket so you can change it if needed. Also, I don't think motherboards with RTCs even have battery headers. Not typically. Since the battery inside the RTC is connected internally.

The usual "fix" is to modify them by getting to the necessary pins to solder wires onto.

Reply 15 of 29, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ReeseRiverson wrote:
Artex wrote:
Billyray520 wrote:

You probably could desolder it and add a socket so you can change it if needed. Also, I don't think motherboards with RTCs even have battery headers. Not typically. Since the battery inside the RTC is connected internally.

The usual "fix" is to modify them by getting to the necessary pins to solder wires onto.

Yep, I'll probably do a socket so I don't have to ever desolder again.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 16 of 29, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:

Yep, I'll probably do a socket so I don't have to ever desolder again.

By the way, those Gateways you showed pictures of are all awesome. 😀

Here is what I did to an RTC chip on one computer... it was a pain, but it worked out in the end. 🤣
IMG_2576-800.jpg

Reply 17 of 29, by Billyray520

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ReeseRiverson wrote:
Artex wrote:
Billyray520 wrote:

That's what I would do too! 😎 I like your pics Artex! My Gateway 2000 P4D-66 is from 2-95; what year is your Tower P5-75? Are those 486's or Pentiums?

Here's mine before I upgraded the sram. You can see the soldered in "issi" 128k at the bottom right, to the left of the open sockets (which now have the additional "issi" 128k for 256k total L2 cache) I also added new parity RAM for 128 MB after this shot was taken. You can see the 486 ZIF socket and passive heat sink. I also removed the 14.4k modem at the bottom. (Windows 95b) The new Dallas RTC is just visible in the upper right corner.

gateway%202000b%20001.jpg

Here's the case: Not a bad computer in its day (Windows 3.1 - early '95)

gateway%202000.jpg

Last edited by Billyray520 on 2014-12-31, 15:36. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 18 of 29, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ReeseRiverson wrote:

Absolutely no cache... no tag ram... nothing of the sort.

So won't this basically behave like a 386 or something?

Not really. 486s only get really slow when you disable the internal cache. Having no external cache will make it a little bit slower in some applications, but you won't notice a difference. That said, a SX-25 is really slow even by 486 standards 🤣

ReeseRiverson wrote:

Should I consider adding cache/Tag? And what would be compatible with this board?

It won't make this PC run Doom any better if you add cache, but this being an OEM machine you probably need very specific chips with the right capacity and speed rating. If you have other 486 motherboards with cache chips installed you could try those chips. I don't think it will do any harm, but I won't refund you if it does 😉

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I take it the onboard video uses up 1MB?

Onboard video cards in the 486 era were just plain regular video cards soldered to the motherboard, complete with their own RAM chips. AFAIK the concept of shared memory was introduced much later, probably only when AGP boards started appearing. In fact you can see the WDC video chip next to 8 smaller RAM chips near the VGA connector on the first picture.

Reply 19 of 29, by Billyray520

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ReeseRiverson wrote:

Here is what I did to an RTC chip on one computer... it was a pain, but it worked out in the end. 🤣

It's hard to tell from the pic, Did you just add the battery voltage to two pins? That's a lot easier than desoldering it. 😎