Reply 20 of 29, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Billyray520 wrote:

what year is your Tower P5-75?

I'll have to check the back of it.. not sure off-hand

EDIT: 02/01/95 on the back of the tower.

Billyray520 wrote:

Are those 486's or Pentiums?

P5 = Pentium, so P5-60 is the Socket 4 5V Pentium 60mhz (the first Pentium with the FDIV bug) and the P5-75 is the second generation 3.3V Pentium @ 75Mhz (P54C).

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 21 of 29, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Billyray520 wrote:

That's what I would do too! 😎 I like your pics Artex! My Gateway 2000 P4D-66 is from 2-95; what year is your Tower P5-75? Are those 486's or Pentiums?

Here's mine before I upgraded the sram. You can see the soldered in "issi" 128k at the bottom right, to the left of the open sockets (which now have the additional "issi" 128k for 256k total L2 cache) I also added new parity RAM for 128 MB after this shot was taken. You can see the 486 ZIF socket and passive heat sink. I also removed the 14.4k modem at the bottom. (Windows 95b) The new Dallas RTC is just visible in the upper right corner.

I wonder if the same RAM you have for both external cache and system RAM will work in mine... because I am having such a hard time finding any RAM stick in my pile to work with this thing. Anything special about the Parity RAM?

Cache itself, I dunno... I tried activating all the 2nd Cache Size jumpers but it'd only read 128k of all the chips I inserted, which should have been 256k. Though it hangs after it shows 128k on the post screen. There are odd and even banks. I wouldn't mind sticking just 128k in there if I could get that to work too.

Either way, I guess I don't have to have it fully upgraded. 🤣

devius wrote:

Not really. 486s only get really slow when you disable the internal cache. Having no external cache will make it a little bit slower in some applications, but you won't notice a difference. That said, a SX-25 is really slow even by 486 standards 🤣

Hmm, I thought the 25Mhz chip performed a bit better than it is here with external cache on some applications... but I honestly can't recall since it's been quite a long time ago since I last ran a 486 of this speed. Not that it matters. This is perfectly fine, I have my bigger Gateway 2000 that already has a 100MHz 486 Overdrive. 😀

I just would like something in between 25 and 100MHz.. I had a 66MHz AMD board but it ended up just giving beep codes... I recently got a diagnostics board so maybe I could check it again.

devius wrote:

It won't make this PC run Doom any better if you add cache, but this being an OEM machine you probably need very specific chips with the right capacity and speed rating. If you have other 486 motherboards with cache chips installed you could try those chips. I don't think it will do any harm, but I won't refund you if it does 😉

Already tried, no luck. 🤣

devius wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I take it the onboard video uses up 1MB?

Onboard video cards in the 486 era were just plain regular video cards soldered to the motherboard, complete with their own RAM chips. AFAIK the concept of shared memory was introduced much later, probably only when AGP boards started appearing. In fact you can see the WDC video chip next to 8 smaller RAM chips near the VGA connector on the first picture.

Anyone know of any Windows 3.1 drivers for these WDC chips?

Also how are they at performances compared to some ISA VGA cards?

Billyray520 wrote:

It's hard to tell from the pic, Did you just add the battery voltage to two pins? That's a lot easier than desoldering it. 😎

Yeah, wires from my double A battery pack run into it. I just have duck tape to help make it look decent.

Reply 22 of 29, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ReeseRiverson wrote:

Cache itself, I dunno... I tried activating all the 2nd Cache Size jumpers but it'd only read 128k of all the chips I inserted, which should have been 256k.

Perhaps you've already seen this, but it looks like you need to leave the 7-8 jumper open for the 256K configuration:
http://panam.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/LP4 … /00000003.shtml

Ben Myers, of "Spirit of Performance," is/was a master of the older Gateway systems, and sold upgrade components for quite a long time. (I purchased a set of cache RAM for my Gateway 2000 486/DX2-66 system from him, way back in 2001/2002, incidentally.)

I've contacted him on your behalf. It sounds like he may still have a number of these cache chips still available, in the event that there's some sort of incompatibility with what you're currently trying to use.

Reply 23 of 29, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:
Perhaps you've already seen this, but it looks like you need to leave the 7-8 jumper open for the 256K configuration: http://pan […]
Show full quote

Perhaps you've already seen this, but it looks like you need to leave the 7-8 jumper open for the 256K configuration:
http://panam.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/LP4 … /00000003.shtml

Ben Myers, of "Spirit of Performance," is/was a master of the older Gateway systems, and sold upgrade components for quite a long time. (I purchased a set of cache RAM for my Gateway 2000 486/DX2-66 system from him, way back in 2001/2002, incidentally.)

I've contacted him on your behalf. It sounds like he may still have a number of these cache chips still available, in the event that there's some sort of incompatibility with what you're currently trying to use.

Yeah I did try leaving 7-8 open on my bored. It still showed and hung on 128k Cache on the POST screen. 😵

Oh really? That would be of great help. 😀 Sounds like a great way to get what I need here.

When I got my EISA Gateway 2000, it was already upgraded up by the guy who gave it to me. Though I sure wouldn't mind doing a little bit of upgrading for this baby Gateway 2000.

Reply 24 of 29, by ben_myers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just created a logon here, after someone who bought Gateway kit from me many years ago told me about it. Here is what I have available for owners of Gateway 486s and other similar mythological beasts:
1. Complete cache memory kits, including the oddball 64Kx1 chip needed for the Gateway/Anigma board shown in the photos. Cache installation guide, too.
2. Documentation with schematic drawings for nearly all of the 486 boards ever used by Gateway, identifying locations of all chips, jumper locations and jumper settings.
3. Matched sets of 72-pin parity and non-parity SIMMs, mostly 16MB, same as used by various older laser printers (which is why I kept them).
4. A few 486 chips in good order. Not sure what speeds I have until I go through them. I may still have one or two kits I assembled from AMD Am486-133 CPUs. I have to look. I charged $US 149 for these back in the last century.
5. IDE disk drives, error-free and in good working order.

I don't expect to get rich selling this stuff. Just want to put it into the hands of people who collect older 486 systems and appreciate them.

Let me know what you might be looking for and I can respond whether or not I have it and how much I'd like for it. Shipping across the pond and to exotic climates can be expensive, but I do my best to use inexpensive shipping and recycled shipping materials.

Reply 25 of 29, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

64kx1 chips huh? Explains why the chips I have won't work at all then. Do you also know what the "DB RAM" slot is for?

Would these Gateway Mini desktops handle an AM486-133CPU? Or possibly an Pentium Overdrive?

I've been having a difficult time finding much information online about this system. Apart from what I seen on your site.

These Gateways are pretty sweet systems. 😀 Sent you a PM by the way!

Reply 26 of 29, by Billyray520

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ben_myers wrote:
I just created a logon here, after someone who bought Gateway kit from me many years ago told me about it. Here is what I have […]
Show full quote

I just created a logon here, after someone who bought Gateway kit from me many years ago told me about it. Here is what I have available for owners of Gateway 486s and other similar mythological beasts:
1. Complete cache memory kits, including the oddball 64Kx1 chip needed for the Gateway/Anigma board shown in the photos. Cache installation guide, too.
2. Documentation with schematic drawings for nearly all of the 486 boards ever used by Gateway, identifying locations of all chips, jumper locations and jumper settings.
3. Matched sets of 72-pin parity and non-parity SIMMs, mostly 16MB, same as used by various older laser printers (which is why I kept them).
4. A few 486 chips in good order. Not sure what speeds I have until I go through them. I may still have one or two kits I assembled from AMD Am486-133 CPUs. I have to look. I charged $US 149 for these back in the last century.
5. IDE disk drives, error-free and in good working order.

I don't expect to get rich selling this stuff. Just want to put it into the hands of people who collect older 486 systems and appreciate them.

Let me know what you might be looking for and I can respond whether or not I have it and how much I'd like for it. Shipping across the pond and to exotic climates can be expensive, but I do my best to use inexpensive shipping and recycled shipping materials.

Welcome to Vogons Ben Myers!! 😁

Your Gateway ID website was a terrific help to me years ago! Glad to see you are still able to help us with your stock! 😀

Retro stuff owned since new

• 386 20Mhz 2MB DOS 3.3/PC-MOS 4.0
  • AMD 386 40Mhz 32MB Win 3.11 DOS 5.0
  • 486DX-2 66Mhz 128MB Win 95b
  • PIII 450Mhz 768MB Win 98SE
  • PIV 2Ghz 2GB Win XP/Ubuntu 10

Reply 27 of 29, by AB75

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had 128K installed on a Micronics 09-00189 board (1 - 8K X 8 in U201 and 4 - 32K X 8 in U202 - U205), booted up fine. Took those same chips and put them in a 09-00183 board with correct jumper settings and it freezes at the "128K cache installed" line during bootup, when I disable external cache in BIOS, it boots up fine, even with the chips still installed. Don't know why. For the 09-00189 board, looking at the settings in the original Gateway manual and for 128K, it says use 1 8K X 8 chip with 4 32K X 8 chips. On the charter.net site, the 09-00183/89 pages say to use 5 32K X 8 chips. On another 09-00189 board I have had originally from Gateway(256K) from 1993, it came with 9 32K X 8 chips.

Reply 28 of 29, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ReeseRiverson wrote on 2014-12-30, 19:35:

Well, it may be an Anigma board. Most I can find is it may be a LP48625SX model. All I found were jumper settings.

I'm having a hard time finding compatible RAM, since all my extra RAM sticks don't seem to be compatible, and also I wonder if those are the same ISSI chips I have. I have four of ISSI chips, and five of another kind. (Which I can't recall.) I'll have to check when I get home this afternoon from work.

Any particular chips needed for TAG? There's even a IC socket for DB RAM. shorter than the tag and cache sticks.

I have this same motherboard with cache and a 33mhz chip. Can you please provide me with the jumper settings? I am trying to install a dx4 100mhz CPU. Thanks!