VOGONS

Pentium Pro Socket 8 computers?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are these computers worth anything? They are a dropped socket type that first appeared in 1995 and they really didn't get all that fast (Pentium Pro maxed out at 200mhz). I'm just wondering because I found a really beat up and filthy Compaq Prolinea 6150e with a Pentium pro inside and since I already have a bunch of vintage computers and I'm only really interested in Packard Bell when it comes to 90's OEM computers I'm debating just chucking it back in the scrap pile I dug it out of. 😒

So what I'm asking is are these rare or valuable in any way and should I really care about it or is it ok to scavenge parts and then toss the case and stuff.

1_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8bnr8u.jpg

2_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8bnr8r.jpg

3_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8bnr8f.jpg

4_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8bnr8a.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 28, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Socket 8 systems are interesting IMO, you could throw in a Pentium 2 overdrive to get a 333mhz system on a 66mhz fsb that's what Ive done with mine, if its working clean the case and resell it you should be able to get $50 for it I'd imagine.

Reply 2 of 28, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's working but there is no HDD so I'm not sure if absolutely everything is hunky dory. It fires up and counts all the ram up then asks for a bootable medium.

Reply 4 of 28, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Btw, some compaq systems had BIOS-like system on their HDD, you get what I mean... Such things won't start unless they have HDD with the right software.

People pay a lot for PPro systems in Russia, on par with P60.

Reply 5 of 28, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I think that might be the case here since it doesn't give me the option to go into BIOS and doesn't seem to give me the usual logo screen while it locates all it's bits and peices.

Reply 7 of 28, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I managed to find BIOS setup disks for my Compaq deskpro board, the disks for your system are probably out there somewhere 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8 of 28, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DON'T THROW IT AWAY!!! Pentium Pro machines are quite interesting to mess around with; you'd probably get at least $50-60 from selling that system alone, if not more since the CPUs themselves are quite valuable.

EDIT: Also, I'd try booting that thing up to a boot floppy.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 13 of 28, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not even sure how I would go about identifying the mobo so since I saved it and the CPU I'll take some pics of it later and post them here.
I ended up trashing the Compaq case since this is not a weird OEM mobo, it's actually a full ATX motherboard and should fit in any old case.

Reply 14 of 28, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pentium Pro CPUs & systems are worth quite a bit from what Ive seen, They weren't too popular with consumers obviously, so you are less likely to find one sitting in someone's basement.

I considered getting a Pentium Pro system at one point but opted for a normal Pentium just due to the Pro not really being any better ( and being worse it seems from what Ive read) at running DOS games and such.

you could easily sell the CPU and use the money to get parts you will actually use.

Reply 15 of 28, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Single CPU boards are more rare than dual Pentium Pro boards. I think we have quite a few Intel PR440FX smp systems among the members on this forum.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 16 of 28, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have 2 duel PPro boards I've been dying to test for some time now but I cant stomach the $40-$50 asking price for the CPU's, especially the 1mb black top ones. that's not even considering the $20 on top of that for a heatsink/fan 🙁

Last edited by soviet conscript on 2014-12-30, 20:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 28, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have two dual boards but only two CPUs.
Both from dumpsters, found one Pentium Pro 200 256kb with each board.
Im not sure they are the same stepping but they do work well together.

Reply 18 of 28, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even if you junk it, it's worth the time to pull the CPU and heatsink in case you ever want to upgrade a SMP machine. Like said above they fetch dumb prices and they aren't going to get any more common so long as it stays that way.
That reminds me. I still need to barter with a store in Vancouver for their ALR 6x6 machine.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 19 of 28, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did end up keeping the motherboard, the CPU and the heatsink. I also grabbed the RAM, the Graphics card, the Sound card and the Pentium Pro sticker (Which is now on my Core 2 Duo sleeper).