VOGONS

Pentium Pro Socket 8 computers?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 28, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CelGen wrote:

I still need to barter with a store in Vancouver for their ALR 6x6 machine.

Those are truly cool machines. 😀

Granted, not sure how much utility they have for gaming, but they're still cool. 🤣

King_Corduroy wrote:

I did end up keeping the motherboard, the CPU and the heatsink. I also grabbed the RAM, the Graphics card, the Sound card and the Pentium Pro sticker (Which is now on my Core 2 Duo sleeper).

Sounds good - the case was in pretty rough shape (with a not unreasonable amount of work you could've probably gotten it looking nice again, but then the question is: is it worth it?). I doubt the PSU and mechanical drives were in great shape either. 😵 Curiosity: what graphics card did it have in it?

Reply 21 of 28, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Diamond Multimedia Stealth 64 Video 2001. Yeah I could have gotten the case looking good again but it's as you say not really worth the bother for me. I don't have any special feelings for Compaq computers and besides space is always a premium when you collect vintage computers. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 23 of 28, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I powered it up and the board and everything worked fine (Other than the usual dead CMOS and no HDD) , I'm thinking it just sat in a basement and some moisture condensated between the case and the floor.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 25 of 28, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

Not even sure how I would go about identifying the mobo so since I saved it and the CPU I'll take some pics of it later and post them here.

The board I referred to looks like this (not my picture):

Intel PerfAU 2.jpg
Filename
Intel PerfAU 2.jpg
File size
194.26 KiB
Views
File comment
(not my picture)
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It's a funky chipset, it has so many discrete chips involved just to achieve basic functionality, that it looks like a prototype and not a real production chipset.
The port layout matches yours, though it doesn't show well in this picture. I think there's a fair number of other boards that have the same layout though.
If this is the board you have, I'd be very grateful if you can help identify a component which is missing from mine.

Reply 27 of 28, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

That is the Intel Performance/AU motherboard aka Aurora with the 450KX chipset. The early PPro chipsets were definitely sets of chips. It's not unlike most other chipsets of the early 90s.

Perhaps, but the 430VX/TX/HX chipsets that I've seen just had a northbridge and a southbridge. It looks like the 430LX has 4 chips, so that puts it closer to the 450KX, except the KX has a separate controller chip for every SIMM slot.

Reply 28 of 28, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

450KX/GX appear to have similarities to 430LX/NX. They may have been years old in 1995. 440FX was a big improvement in integration and showed up in 96. It has features similar to 430HX. 430TX/VX are somewhat more advanced. SDRAM support and 430TX has a southbridge with UDMA33. 440LX brings these and AGP.

Though the 450 line persisted. Eventually a 450NX became the Xenon chipset.