VOGONS

Quake on a P75

Topic actions

First post, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been playing around with a Pentium Classic 75mhz PC for the last week, finally got Windows 95c installed with the driver's etc and thought I'd test out some games, mainly Duke 3D, Quake 1, and Kings Quest 7. All played really well except Quake... it was "almost" smooth, you could tell under heavy action and running around there was some screen tearing and low fps. Duke 3D and KQ7 flew. The system comprised of:

Asus TX97-E
Pentium 75
24MB EDO/Fastpage (it's been a while since I could tell the difference)
S3 Trio64/V2 DX 1mb
Sound Blaster 16 (CT2940)
2.5gb Quantum Fireball 5-1/4 drive

To speed things up I dropped in a Pentium 166 (non-MMX), and swapped the ram from 24mb (4 sticks) to 32mb (2 sticks). I wasn't sure how much of a speed increase I'd see but 95 boots up ALOT quicker, and Quake is exceptionally smooth now, feels like a new game. I do have other CPU's MMX/K6/K6-2 etc but I like keeping the systems I build even across the board, part wise. I hate having a K6-2 system with 512mb ram, and a 1mb video card.

So that was my nostagia upgrade from the past 😀 In today's age where we upgrade from quad cores, to faster quad cores, I think using the system with the 75 for the last week and getting use to that speed, then moving to the 166 under the same conditions and same games, you remember what a real speed upgrade feels like.

Last edited by dave343 on 2015-01-10, 13:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice! Yes going from a 75 to a 166 meant double the performance 😀

Another thing you do with Quake is get a 3D accelerator card like a 3dfx Voodoo.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 32, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I probably wouldn't stick a 3D accellerator in the machine as it is, maybe a V1 if I dropped in an MMX CPU. I have a K6-2 300/66 CPU waiting for this board, along with 128mb EDO (2x64), but I'm trying to find a deal on a Voodoo 2 or Voodoo 3 PCI. In the mean time, I'm just enjoying the 166 as is.

Reply 6 of 32, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want to remember how much difference (an easy) overclock meant; try running the P75 at 90MHz or 100MHz and retry Quake. A lot of games run on the P75, but they run so much better on a P90 or P100.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 7 of 32, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Besides what Leileilol said, Voodoo1 lacks full triangle setup hardware and so has slightly more CPU usage than Voodoo2+.

A P75 isn't going to rock Quake super well but it should be acceptable.

Reply 9 of 32, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thandor wrote:

If you want to remember how much difference (an easy) overclock meant; try running the P75 at 90MHz or 100MHz and retry Quake. A lot of games run on the P75, but they run so much better on a P90 or P100.

I have both a P100 and P120 but felt a good noticeable speed bump, to me anyways was 166.
I couldn't see a P100 making much of a difference but maybe I'm wrong...

I did actually buy a Maxi Gamer Voodoo 2 8mb a few months back, off eBay, but I have been unable to get
Windows to recognize the card. I get nothing, but the pass through cable works fine.
I made a thread on here about he issue, and I've tried the card in a P3 box with the same result. Pass though works fine on this box, and the P3 box but no matter what I try windows can't see it. And it doesn't show up on the list of found hardware when the PC first turns on.
As someone suggested, I check the tiny pins around the V2 chips but none seem stuck together, and I see no broken parts, caps, regulators, etc, and not a single scratch.

Reply 10 of 32, by armankordi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dave343 wrote:

I hate having a K6-2 system with 512mb ram, and a 1mb video card.

🤣

My cousin's old Pentium 3 1GHz Coppermine-T had 256MB DDR and a 1MB Trident 9440... Not shitting you..

IBM PS/2 8573-121 386-20 DOS6.2/W3.1
IBM PS/2 8570-E61 386-16 W95
IBM PS/2 8580-071 386-16 (486DX-33 reply) OS/2 warp
486DX/2 - 66/32mb ram/256k cache/504mb hdd/cdrom/awe32/DOS6.2/WFW3.11
K6/2 - 350/128mb ram/512k cache/4.3gb hdd/cdr/sblive/w98

Reply 11 of 32, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i looked up my benchmark results and it recorded that i got 30.5 fps with pmmx-133, and 56fps with pmmx-300(overclocked). i don't have non-mmx pentium though.

Reply 12 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:

i looked up my benchmark results and it recorded that i got 30.5 fps with pmmx-133, and 56fps with pmmx-300(overclocked). i don't have non-mmx pentium though.

All the Quake results one will ever need 🤣

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0 … TWc&usp=sharing

Reply 13 of 32, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

All the Quake results one will ever need 🤣

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0 … TWc&usp=sharing

yeah but google is blocked in china because they would not cooperate with chinese government. 🤣

Reply 14 of 32, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
noshutdown wrote:

Quake does not make use of MMX technology, so that wouldn't matter.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 16 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:

yeah but google is blocked in china because they would not cooperate with chinese government. 🤣

Excel version attached!

Attachments

Reply 17 of 32, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

It doesn't take advantage of the MMX instructions, but it sure loves the extra cache available in every MMX Pentium.

Well, if I look at phil's table: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0 … TWc&usp=sharing
I see Pentium 166s and their MMX-cousins scoring within 1 fps of eachother. Which could just as well be explained by a slightly different motherboard/videocard.
So I don't think the extra cache did a lot in Quake (it was probably explicitly optimized hard to fit in the L1 cache of the original Pentium).

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 19 of 32, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

Excel version attached!

good job but i test quake a bit differently. i used a more intensive bigass demo which is about 25% slower than quake's builtin demos, and i used winquake which may provide better performance than the dos version, especially on newer computers.
you can also have a look at my tests here:
my socket7 cpu benchmark results